advertisement

Talkin' all that jazz

Getting into Craig Taborn too...

If that works for you, have you tried Matthew Shipp - lots on Spotify. Try Nu Bop, Equilibrium or the recent Art if the Improviser. For me he's one of the more interesting explorers of where jazz might go if it's not to become museum music.

K

Cheer Kjb, yes i like Matthew Shipp a lot, got a lot of Ishmael Wadada Leo Smith's work, he plays on Shipp's New Orbit. Ive not even listened to the latest album yet Knives from Heaven.
There is so much great music to listen to, im still on a very long journey into my Jazz education!

I was listening to Magg Zelma (Art Assemble of Chicago, Malachi Favors) yesterday its a totally astounding piece of music, I have Dave (Charlton) to thank for getting me into the Chicagoan groove!

My "discovery" this year is 50 Yrs old: The Jimmy Guiffre 3. Got a couple of things so far
1) The Jimmy Guiffre which I picked up because i) it was only £3 and I was intrigued and ii) it has Jim Hall on it and, in mellow moments, I really like his playing. I was struck by how it prefigures Bill Frisell's music - great arrangements of guitar, clarinet and either bass or trombone. ( I love Frisell's mix of jazz and Americana)

Then Free Fall - Something totally different. This reminds me more of Braxton's For Alto - must be one of the earliest examples of the sort of playing that developed into European free improv later in the 60s. Quite a few tracks are solo microtonal explorations of the clarinet. Utterly out of it's time in a way I just didn't expect. Still getting to grips with it but think it'll become a key CD over the years.

Now need to explore some more Paul Bley

K

I don't get out much these days, but I did see Bill Frisell's latest quartet a couple months ago in a club near my home. Speaking of americana, he closed with Old Man River. I must have three Paul Bley albums and like him a lot. Now, I'm about to investigate previously mentioned Taborn and Shipp, two players unknown to me. Thanks

My "discovery" this year is 50 Yrs old: The Jimmy Guiffre 3. Got a couple of things so far
1) The Jimmy Guiffre which I picked up because i) it was only £3 and I was intrigued and ii) it has Jim Hall on it and, in mellow moments, I really like his playing. I was struck by how it prefigures Bill Frisell's music - great arrangements of guitar, clarinet and either bass or trombone. ( I love Frisell's mix of jazz and Americana)

Then Free Fall - Something totally different. This reminds me more of Braxton's For Alto - must be one of the earliest examples of the sort of playing that developed into European free improv later in the 60s. Quite a few tracks are solo microtonal explorations of the clarinet. Utterly out of it's time in a way I just didn't expect. Still getting to grips with it but think it'll become a key CD over the years.

Now need to explore some more Paul Bley

K

If you find "Free Fall" intriguing, you *must* try the double CD "1961". It's an ECM reissue of two classic albums released by the Giuffre/Bley/Swallow trio in that year, and is similar in feel to "Free Fall" but just a little bit more accessible. It's one of my desert island disks.

In my view, pretty much everything Giuffre's done is worth hearing - he is one of the great, relatively unsung, innovators of jazz.

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Africaine

d34078j3pwy.jpg

I'm a big fan of Art Blakey. This album was recorded in 1959 but not released until twenty years later. I picked this up today and I think it's going to be a favorite. Found this very favorable review. Anyone have this?

A Night In Tunisia
Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk
Moanin'
The Big Beat
Witch Doctor

So far - I'll look for Free For All and Africaine.

Live at the Cafe Bohemia 1 and 2 are special, as is one called I think Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, it's on Impulse! Well worth seeking out. Can't have too much Art Blakey

have you tried Matthew Shipp...For me he's one of the more interesting explorers of where jazz might go if it's not to become museum music.

Matthew's duo with improvising saxophonist John Butcher at Cafe Oto was broadcast on Jazz on 3 late last year. A superb recording made it quite special.

John Blake- Maiden Dance with McCoy Tyner, Kenny Barron, Cecil McBee, etc. A marvelous album by a jazz violinist on Grammavison, a label with very good taste that once was.

Been sampling Craig Taborn. Nice touch and sensibilities to me. Any recommendations? Thanks

Later, Shipp, too. Man, I've found me a whole nuther groove. THANK YOU!

Hitherto not much taken by Craig Taborn's playing (too bland/generic), but a couple of recent discs are helping me re-evaluate.

Rob Brown "Unknown Skies" on Rogue Art (there's an appealing sense of tension between Taborn and Nasheet Waits on drums - seems to stop the group falling into comfort zones).

Farmers By Nature "Out Of This Worlds Distortions" on Aum Fidelity (again, interaction with drums is the key - Gerald Cleaver is also someone whose talents hadn't really revealed themselves to me).

In a different vein, been playing Colin Stetson's New History Warfare Vol 2 a lot via Spotify and going to order a copy this weekend. Solo bass Sax recorded live into 24 mics and then mixed by Ben Frost. Can't wait to hear it on a non streamed source. It's a pretty dramatic record and sort of jazz - if you're not too puritanical. Otherwise it's maybe avant drone - a blend of Albert Ayler /Steve Reich. Whatever, I love it.

It's also streaming here
http://cstrecords.com/cst075/
if you fancy a dip in.

He's played with Arcade Fire and Bon Iver but it's a galaxy away from that - must pay the bills nicely though.

K

Dave Douglas is cool - someone here (sorry i can't remember who) got me into Freak In. Been sampling since. The version of Goldfinger on A Thousand Evenings is awesomely cool. As is Word For A Loss on the same album.

It really is restrained. Yet beautiful.

advertisement

Back