advertisement

System pics 2024

Is that digital margarine? One forum; two forums ('fora' is not the plural for this use) :)

Succinctly put. If that were a geometrical shape it would be indescribable 😁 Lovely bit of woodwork with the 401 as the icing on the chamfered cake, as it were.
I’m a big fan of grammar and pedantry Mike but on this occasion you are only partly correct. Forum is Latin - the Latin plural is fora. The plural has since become anglicised and it seems to have become acceptable to use ‘forums‘ but it isn’t technically the original and correct plural 😀

I’m a big fan of grammar and pedantry Mike but on this occasion you are only partly correct. Forum is Latin - the Latin plural is fora. The plural has since become anglicised and it seems to have become acceptable to use ‘forums‘ but it isn’t technically the original and correct plural 😀
Ho ho, Nick (?). I quote you from my massive 1998 New O.E.D. 'FORUM; pl. forums. A place, medium or meeting where ideas or views are exchanged.'

'FORUM; pl. fora. (In an ancient Roman city) ;a public square or market place used for judicial or other business'

Hope this convinces you (and others). Besides, 'fora' is not only wrong, it's also a bit pretentious. I like being challenged on this subject (i.e. English language structure and grammar), and fora while there............. :D

Some truly beautiful amazing wonderful weird kit on show here. I love the single seat, made me chuckle. Make’s me feel slightly boring 🤣🤣

@ Mark King (sorry didn't quote your post):

actually a mid-range Roland kit from the year 2000 🤔 (£1000 + irrc - and I certainly shouldn't have been spending that on one at the time!).
Having said that - not the original bass 'drum' (the roland one looked like an enlarged door-stop, and didn't seem to have the right 'feel', accordingly) and that bit was from a no-name cheapy kit.

onboard sounds not great irrc, but I used it for recording midi parts (do musos still use midi ... and soundfonts (the poorman's samples) ?!).
Got it out of the lean-to to see if it still works, and bung it on Gumtree accordingly.
Ah right. Wow sound fonts. That’s a blast from the past. Yes we are still using midi to trigger samples but not sound fonts. I have a Roland td50x triggering a program called sd3. The playability is so much better than it was back then, with multiple samples for each velocity layer and round robin on the samples. I’ve been at it since the early 90s

Ho ho, Nick (?). I quote you from my massive 1998 New O.E.D. 'FORUM; pl. forums. A place, medium or meeting where ideas or views are exchanged.'

'FORUM; pl. fora. (In an ancient Roman city) ;a public square or market place used for judicial or other business'

Hope this convinces you (and others). Besides, 'fora' is not only wrong, it's also a bit pretentious. I like being challenged on this subject (i.e. English language structure and grammar), and fora while there............. :D

Screw the OED. Too pretentious for my taste. Coming from a scholarly/scientific background, I'll stick with fora. (and 'stadia' for that matter).

Screw the OED. Too pretentious for my taste. Coming from a scholarly/scientific background, I'll stick with fora. (and 'stadia' for that matter).
Talk about off-topic (just realised thread; who started this? Me?). I really cannot see why you think the O.E.D. is pretentious. On the contrary, its definition is precise and delineated but without elaboration. For, um, pretentiousness, use 'fora' :D Those interesting links, if pored over, state this:

The Britannica replicates my O.E.D. but without delineating which plural is attributed to which meaning (therefore useless). The second, Grammarist link (again, American) is more interested in general rather than appropriate usage. However, narabdela, two things emerge from your links.

One, that 'forums' is and has been by far the more common usage across many English speaking countries, with 'fora' confined to specific areas of academia and science but by no means the major usage in even these areas (around the max. of 50/50, I think I read)

Two, each lists 'forums' as the plural for internet forums, and I do believe that pink fish is one such example.

Ergo, by all means stick to your quasi-grammatical guns in whichever field you choose, but 'fora' is not and never has been, the plural for internet (or other modern) forums. I rest my case on both our evidence sources. Unlike many valid uses of 'a' as a Latin plural for 'um', 'fora' is not one such.

This must be an exemplar of pedantry if not its epitome; great fun fora ging.... and thanks ! 😁

NB. I notice that in your quoted text, 'fora' is underlined as incorrect. Says it all, really !:)

I see you have a blood pressure monitor on the desk, is it the middle or the right hand screen that sends your pressure through the roof?
Linn, Naim, Techy, Node, Cyrus plus Sorscha

Forgot the speakers - ProAc 115, Iso 155 stands, REL T7 under the desks

This is the room I need to sort out the hi-fi in:
174372332.5729d48b.JPEG

The desk isn't normally there but I was working in the house as we had builders in working on the bathroom.

At the moment it's got a WiiM amp (recently replacing the Onix DNA45 which is still in the rack but disconnected) into an ancient set of Mission 731LE's, with an (also ancient) Cyrus CD player along with TV (via it's HDMI ARC connection) and various streaming options as sources.

Not quite sure what direction I'm going to take in that room yet. I've got a spare Naim system (32.5/IXO/2 x 140/2 x Flatcap into active Credo's) but I might just get a better set of standmounters and stick with the WiiM amp. I will likely add a turntable at some point as well.

This is the room I need to sort out the hi-fi in:
174372332.5729d48b.JPEG

The desk isn't normally there but I was working in the house as we had builders in working on the bathroom.

At the moment it's got a WiiM amp (recently replacing the Onix DNA45 which is still in the rack but disconnected) into an ancient set of Mission 731LE's, with an (also ancient) Cyrus CD player along with TV (via it's HDMI ARC connection) and various streaming options as sources.

Not quite sure what direction I'm going to take in that room yet. I've got a spare Naim system (32.5/IXO/2 x 140/2 x Flatcap into active Credo's) but I might just get a better set of standmounters and stick with the WiiM amp. I will likely add a turntable at some point as well.
Too cold to work in the outside cabin Steve?

Too cold to work in the outside cabin Steve?
No - we had builders in working on the bathroom and I needed to be in the house while Fiona was down in Edinburgh for a few days. The cabin is quite well insulated and has a couple of electric heaters I can switch on remotely so gets quite toasty!

advertisement

Back