advertisement

System pics 2024

KANoHCj.jpeg
Just added a CD transport to my system for the hell of it. It’s an Apple SuperDrive, which my Limetree Network player can use for CD playback via it’s USB input. Seems good so far, nice and quiet.

From experience the room and its treatment is the most important component in the system. The skeleton is taking shape (albeit slowly thanks to some unexpected glitches delaying the works). When done this will be roughly 8m x 5m x 3.075m ceiling.

dIqydQy.jpg

GTSS0Yg.jpg

Should make for a reasonable start getting LF sorted with the aid of some bass traps.
8jcDMvh.png

KANoHCj.jpeg
Just added a CD transport to my system for the hell of it. It’s an Apple SuperDrive, which my Limetree Network player can use for CD playback via it’s USB input. Seems good so far, nice and quiet.

Snap! Into the Lindemann Musicbook.

It’s part of a move away from streaming. My CDs are out of the loft, and my phone is banished from the music room when I’m having a proper listening session, so I focus on the music , instead of staring at a screen.

@lordmortlock

It works really well, doesn’t it? I was surprised by how quiet the Apple drive is compared with another CD drive I tried. A serious bargain but I’m not aware of any other streamers or DACs which accept them?

From experience the room and its treatment is the most important component in the system. The skeleton is taking shape (albeit slowly thanks to some unexpected glitches delaying the works). When done this will be roughly 8m x 5m x 3.075m ceiling.

dIqydQy.jpg

GTSS0Yg.jpg

Should make for a reasonable start getting LF sorted with the aid of some bass traps.
8jcDMvh.png

I assume the inner block-work is thermal bricks? Two suggestions:

1. Consider channeling and inserting conduits where they may be useful. Check with your architect/builder/inspector that what you plan is OK.

2. Take pictures of ALL wiring installations before they’re plastered over and keep them safe. Incredibly useful when it comes to drilling any holes in the walls.

3. If you have any interest in surround sound now is the time to consider installation - even if only putting speaker cabling in.

@lordmortlock

It works really well, doesn’t it? I was surprised by how quiet the Apple drive is compared with another CD drive I tried. A serious bargain but I’m not aware of any other streamers or DACs which accept them?

It’s really good. I think mine needs a cleaning CD through it though, as it does spit the odd disc out.

Have you seen the HiFi Rose transport Greg? I think it works as a CD-ROM drive too.

It’s heavier and chunkier than the SuperDrive. I’d be tempted to try one with the Musicbook if it wasn’t three hundred and fifty sheets.

I assume the inner block-work is thermal bricks? Two suggestions:

1. Consider channeling and inserting conduits where they may be useful. Check with your architect/builder/inspector that what you plan is OK.

2. Take pictures of ALL wiring installations before they’re plastered over and keep them safe. Incredibly useful when it comes to drilling any holes in the walls.

3. If you have any interest in surround sound now is the time to consider installation - even if only putting speaker cabling in.
Thanks, I'll be making sure it's to code, and photographed for future reference. Also planning on having all my speaker wiring (Belden 1800F) run in such a way they emerge from boxes behind the two active speakers and behind the preamp. The preamp will be to the left side of the room, in line with where I'll be sitting. Going to have to make stands for my diffusers thanks to the foibles of creating a lounge that works for resale rather than just a listening space.

System is Bergmann Magne TT, Ortofon Cadenza Red, Allnic H1202.Eversolo A6 streamer.
Musical Innovation MI 23,5 pre, Motu Ultralite dac with Fabfilter Pro active x-over
Valvet E2 and Simaudio Moon W5 power amps.
Cables are cheap power, rca or pro xlr/jack. PN 1,5mm2 install cables. More than enough for this application.
Speakers are DoneByOthers. horn top and open baffle from 25-1000Hz.

KANoHCj.jpeg
I have a Lindemann Network and a Bridge, they both work fantastic with the Apple SuperDrive. Sounds very good in my opinion. I think the Lindemann gear is really good, I’d love to try the Musicbook Source and Drive amps.

I have a Lindemann Network and a Bridge, they both work fantastic with the Apple SuperDrive. Sounds very good in my opinion. I think the Lindemann gear is really good, I’d love to try the Musicbook Source and Drive amps.

There’s a very well priced Musicbook/source here Tim. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
There’s a very well priced Musicbook/source here Tim. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

I am in the US, unfortunately. I keep looking at the Musicbooks, if my Naim XS3 and companion ND5XS2 were not so good and working so well in my second system, I would probably already have them. I have considered selling them, but….the Musicbook Combo as a single box, do all, tempts me too.

Really I am quite content with where things are right now, however this year is an intriguing one, retirement is probably about six months or so away, and I would really just like to simplify and have just one setup. This is where the Musicbook Source and Power amps make so much sense, two small boxes that pack a punch, and sound good doing it!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Have to post again to share a little learning… but first pictures in what passes for daylight at this time of year…

53521337407_a9bbd4a194_b.jpg

53522605425_e2ce2184c0_b.jpg

The learning?

Well, this is embarrassing… both these and their smaller brothers sounded very good - but I had a nagging doubt about their setup. As many of you will know the older SBLs are notorious for being difficult to set up, needing gasket sealer etc., which I’d not done, awaiting a good time (and some assistance!). I was happy to put thoughts about ultimate performance to one side. However, these later SL2s are a lot easier in this respect, and something was nagging. Odd anomalies in bass notes and track to track variations in “rightness”. I’d checked all connections, and found nothing wrong. However the nag got the better of me last night so at midnight I was checking for electrical continuity across the pos/neg wires in the speaker cables. Low and behold one was wired in reverse! I now have decent and consistent bass (if not earth shattering - they have their limits) and of course a much more realistic image, tonal balance etc. 🙂

@evand if that’s a dedicated listening room you’re building (and if so I’m jealous) then you might find the New Record Day videos useful if you haven’t come across them.

Can’t remember if this is the first of 4 or 5 but if not I’d start with the first.

I am in the US, unfortunately. I keep looking at the Musicbooks, if my Naim XS3 and companion ND5XS2 were not so good and working so well in my second system, I would probably already have them. I have considered selling them, but….the Musicbook Combo as a single box, do all, tempts me too.

Really I am quite content with where things are right now, however this year is an intriguing one, retirement is probably about six months or so away, and I would really just like to simplify and have just one setup. This is where the Musicbook Source and Power amps make so much sense, two small boxes that pack a punch, and sound good doing it!

Apologies Tim, I know that you’re US based, as we’ve chatted before. I should have remembered rather than taunt you with well priced 240v kit!

advertisement

Back