advertisement

System pics 2024

It was your post in one of the big tannoy threads about the Eatons being too revealing if too high that had my thinking.

Dropping them has made a big difference to the sound. Pretty much all of the scale and impact is still there, but it’s a much more relaxing listen long term. Win!
Ah, that must have been a long time ago. When I originally got my 70s Eatons I found them intolerably peaky in the presence region. I found out it was around 3.5Khz (not being precise here) and then I sent the crossovers to Paul Coupe. He worked on the horn resonance at this frequency and managed to bring it down. It was only down about 1.5dB, IIRC, but it transformed the speakers, making them my mainstay for several years. Once I'd got that peak sorted I preferred them raised so that tweeter was near ear height.

Since then I bought a pair of Eaton Legacy out of curiosity. That's really a long story, so I'll save it for now, but the comparisons are interesting. I"m using the Legacy pair now and think they are excellent, but they are much more demanding on amplifiers, so took some time to get right.

I'll write a thread eventually, but to sum up. My 70s Eatons: relatively easy to drive, but it was essential that they had the crossover tweaked. I could not have lived with them long-term otherwise. Eaton Legacy: a very stiff cone, really demanding on an amp. 4 x EL34 - no chance! But the tulip waveguide is really good and overall they have more range and refinement (so long as you've taken care with the amp and set-up). And all of them are much easier to integrate in medium sized rooms than the BBC legacy speakers I'd been using for years.

Last edited:
Ah, that must have been a long time ago. When I originally got my 70s Eatons I found them intolerably peaky in the presence region. I found out it was around 3.5Khz (not being precise here) and then I sent the crossovers to Paul Coupe. He worked on the horn resonance at this frequency and managed to bring it down. It was only down about 1.5dB, IIRC, but it transformed the speakers, making them my mainstay for several years. Once I'd got that peak sorted I preferred them raised so that tweeter was near ear height.

Since then I bought a pair of Eaton Legacy out of curiosity. That's really a long story, so I'll save it for now, but the comparisons are interesting. I"m using the Legacy pair now and think they are excellent, but they are much more demanding on amplifiers, so took some time to get right.

I'll write a thread eventually, but to sum up. My 70s Eatons: relatively easy to drive, but it was essential that had the crossover tweaked. I could not have lived with them long-term otherwise. Eaton Legacy: a very stiff cone, really demanding on an amp. 4 x EL34 - no chance! But the tulip waveguide is really good and overall they have more range and refinement (so long as you've taken care with the amp and set-up). And all of them are much easier to integrate in medium sized rooms than the BBC legacy speakers I'd been using for years.

Really interesting, thanks Andrew.

I can see why you persevered with the 70s eatons. There’s so much to like about the presentation of these old Tannoys.

Or a set of Gaia's. 😈

Funnily enough I have some III’s.

Max weight is 32kgs iirc, which is bang on what my Cheviots weigh with the oak cladding. I’d happily try it, but I’d have to sink fittings into the cabs, as a plinth deep enough would add too much height I think.

I’ve just sat down in front of them after a day in the garden. Radio Paradise has been on all day as I’m burning in my Joe Henry rebuilt 303.

It all sounds glorious. Maybe I should just leave them as they are!

Seeing as my extensions had a 10 week hiatus I unpacked the PV1D subs and added them to the mix. It's been a good opportunity for me to preview what I'll be left with when downsizing. Definitely not an optimal listening space, but good enough for me to know I'll be pretty happy with the 20-2's in the mix.
H4YfNs8.png

It was your post in one of the big tannoy threads about the Eatons being too revealing if too high that had my thinking.

Dropping them has made a big difference to the sound. Pretty much all of the scale and impact is still there, but it’s a much more relaxing listen long term. Win!
Just about to raise mine up with different isolation so hope not .i have never found them too revealing

I'll write a thread eventually, but to sum up. My 70s Eatons: relatively easy to drive, but it was essential that they had the crossover tweaked. I could not have lived with them long-term otherwise. Eaton Legacy: a very stiff cone, really demanding on an amp. 4 x EL34 - no chance! But the tulip waveguide is really good and overall they have more range and refinement (so long as you've taken care with the amp and set-up). And all of them are much easier to integrate in medium sized rooms than the BBC legacy speakers I'd been using for years.
the first watt clones by jh (f5) monoblocks have proved to be absolutely stonking with the legacy eatons , been in for quite a while now .25 watts class each

A fabulous power amp on loan from a friend inspired a minimalist approach. A total 80s mullet system.
If you substitute the word 'fun' for the daft, outdated pejorative 'mullet' I bet you come a lot closer to the truth. The D70 is a classic of course. Its amazing what you can do with a cheap, digital front end now. What speakers are you using?

If you substitute the word 'fun' for the daft, outdated pejorative 'mullet' I bet you come a lot closer to the truth. The D70 is a classic of course. It’s amazing what you can do with a cheap, digital front end now. What speakers are you using?
Speakers are ProAc Response 2.5 and the ARC drives them without a hint of any nasties. It all sounds properly damn good, proper full sound and very realistic. I could justify it in many ways. I still like records though, so….

Speakers are ProAc Response 2.5 and the ARC drives them without a hint of any nasties. It all sounds properly damn good, proper full sound and very realistic. I could justify it in many ways. I still like records though, so….
I'm certain you can hunt down a nice Arc pre to go with that power amp. Don't let minor matters get in your way!

I have an ARC SP8 MKII rev.7 in my main system and your description: "proper full sound and very realistic" is perfect.

I have an ARC SP8 MKII rev.7 in my main system and your description: "proper full sound and very realistic" is perfect.
The SP8 is a certified classic, only second to the SP10 from that era. Rock hard used values on these models. Even if unserviced for all these years.

The SP8 is a certified classic, only second to the SP10 from that era. Rock hard used values on these models. Even if unserviced for all these years.
It's like a drug because it's addictive. I can listen to it for hours without hint of boring or fatigue. A preamp designed in the golden age and built to last forever.

wWesjUX.jpeg

The UQ2 sounds a bit wholly in comparison to the AURALiC Vega S1 (not surprisingly). This is the shoebox I’ve been waiting for.
I don't stream with my Nait 50 but I do use it with a rega apollo and have recently added a second hand rega Dac-r which works very well , it's a great amp

advertisement

Back