advertisement

Submarine

Ultrasonic testing is a series of knocks on an item. Just like wheel tapping on the old steam trains. A cracked one sounds different, which is not to say that you bash it hard enough to damage it.

Ah - so that's where the name for the 'Wheel-tappers & Shunters Social Club" programme came from :)

Ultrasonic testing is a series of knocks on an item. Just like wheel tapping on the old steam trains. A cracked one sounds different, which is not to say that you bash it hard enough to damage it.
With carbon fibre tail rotor blades, it also helps to know the structure under the skin, otherwise you’ll end up with lots of incorrectly snagged blades, and a terrible reputation!

Ah - so that's where the name for the 'Wheel-tappers & Shunters Social Club" programme came from :)
It really is! Wheel tapping was an actual job carried out by engineering maintenance men, when the train was stopped they would go along the train, tap the wheels and any that sounded dull would get a blob of paint. Next time the train stopped for maintenance they would sideline any flagged carriages to get them properly checked. To remove and replace a carraige you do of course need a shunter.

This is the sort of tap hammer we use on the carbon blades. A little daintier than those used on locomotive wheels, and the sound that we make always reminds me of the intro to Dakota by the Stereophonics!

And no, I don’t shout out “You make me feel like the one!”

Heck, I remember Ted & Lynn. I was an elect eng in the equipments group (‘75-‘01).

small world!

Last edited:
It really is! Wheel tapping was an actual job carried out by engineering maintenance men, when the train was stopped they would go along the train, tap the wheels and any that sounded dull would get a blob of paint. Next time the train stopped for maintenance they would sideline any flagged carriages to get them properly checked. To remove and replace a carraige you do of course need a shunter.

Every day's a learning day :)

There was the start of a 2-part documentary on Titan show on C5 last night. This really covered the run up to the bits being found and I expect the part tonight (9pm) is more to do with the reasons for the loss of the vessel.

CHE

I read somewhere that it takes about 15 milliseconds for your nerves to process the fact that your end has arrived. Implosion at those sorts of depths occurs in about 2 milliseconds. The end would have happened before they even realised that it was happening.

I read somewhere that it takes about 15 milliseconds for your nerves to process the fact that your end has arrived. Implosion at those sorts of depths occurs in about 2 milliseconds. The end would have happened before they even realised that it was happening.

So not even enough time to say "SHIT!"

There was the start of a 2-part documentary on Titan show on C5 last night. This really covered the run up to the bits being found and I expect the part tonight (9pm) is more to do with the reasons for the loss of the vessel.

CHE
Was there any need for Vanessa Feltz?

Having experienced a near-death experience at first hand when I was out for a bike ride and woke up in hospital the following day, I don't fear sudden death. I still have no recollection of what happened, though I know from the police who witnessed it that a car coming the other way turned across my path and I went over the bonnet and into the screen. I was very nearly killed, and if "very nearly" had turned into "actually" then I wouldn't have had long enough to suffer.

CHE
Saw it trailed and decided I'd read enough here and couldn't see a C5 documentary adding anything else.

Saw it trailed and decided I'd read enough here and couldn't see a C5 documentary adding anything else.

Well you were correct, it was in fact very thin. Besides all known facts (and many alternative facts) can be found on PFM....................

CHE

advertisement

Back