advertisement

Stuff you can't have for aesthetic reasons

I'm guessing there's a few wouldn't give this houseroom then ? It's actually 2 FET compressors and 2 Optical compressors in one box used for mastering.
shadow_hw_front_hq.jpg

It looks like Shelob. With a side order of Japanese anime smile.

Any speakers on stands or any floor standers bigger than Neat Iota alphas :-(

Shahinian Larks and or super elf would be ok apparently. I keep prompting with Arcs.

Speakers on stands is a no go for me too. Also any kit that couldn't be considered a design classic. Olive+CB Naim are in. Anything modern with an LCD display is out. I don't have a problem with this but it will make my quest for a integrated more difficult.

I Imagine I am very fortunate and lucky to not have any female input regarding what I have, I live on my own now but in the past didn't allow the other half to interfere with that sort of stuff!! lol:)

I do feel sorry for anyone that cannot have what they want but Some of the stuff I wouldn't want either as it looks awful ;)

Little (ie - sub-40litre 'bleater', say) lifestyle wall/standmounts. No, just no.

My aesthetics demand some ability to reproduce both dynamic range - bass heft and bandwidth. And so Hoffman sez...

PS And no, '500w!' behind some nominal 4-6" sink-plunger driver isn't the same. At all. Even at low volume, in fact - esp at low volume!
-And if that what you choose to settle for - why not fill the footprint with max possible box volume at the very least? least-worst option and all that.

Chrome, gold, form-over-function designs or pretentious bling won't make it past the front door. Oh, and it has to fit into a standard Mana shelf, which generally means anything taller than 4" won't do.

I'm pretty open to most things, my wallet is putting the restrictions for me. I really shouln't be into HiFi or guitars with my income...

I don't like fake vinyl veneer and black ash on speakers even though my active speakers that I have for 11 years are black ash. They are small though, I don't think I could buy floorstanders on black ash since there are so many other options.
I find ugly huge turntables (like the modern Transrotors) and some big speakers (like MBL 101 X-Treme and Wilson Alexx) but I wish I had big speakers like JBL or Klipschorns.

I admit I have a thing for 70's - 80's Japanese HiFi at least aesthetically. I love VU's and the wooden panels are usually not bad. I also like gold color like Accuphase or the old Sony's, I never had a gold component. I prefer asymmetry on my rack, different colors and shapes, having a system from one brand seems boring to me.

There's a currently a ban on Altec Voice Of The Theatre (even if I could find a pair in the UK!)

3IMG_6225.JPG

I have a pair of their little sisters instead...

a.jpg

I've always wanted a Wilson Benesch Torus. They're not ugly things, but they're big. And shiny. If I lived on my own, I'd probably put up with it, but I can't inflict it on others. As someone else said: "it's like having the back wheel off an F1 car in the living room"

advertisement

Back