advertisement

Streaming question

readams

No longer wine tasting
Hi

I'm after a bit of advice. Currently using a Naim HDX in the living room. If I want sounds in the kitchen (apart from turning the volume up in the living room) is the achievable a) cheaply b) with only one box c) controllable from iPhone/iPad/iPod d) minimal IT knowledge e) reasonable sound quality

I want to spend no more than £200. Is it easier just buy an iPod dock, if so which one?

TIA

Richard

You'll struggle to do a decent job for that. My kitchen system is an old nytech (50.00), some jbls £100 and a squeezebox if you can get a secondhand one for a few quid.

The alternative is to use stealth tactics and buy a smart device like a TV.

Rather impressed with Squeezebox Radio. Mono but in the kitchen do you care? Sound is rather good.

This presumes you can run the server bit somewhere on the network, or you can stream from spotify or similar.

Tim

Over budget but something like a second hand Linn Sneaky DS is probably good kitchen fodder. I sold one for £500 but really should have kept it on reflection. The new software allows easy radio/nas replay along with songcasting that allows it to stream directly from a laptop so spotify etc are all just a swipe of your iPod/ipad away.

Get a Logitech bluetooth speaker (currently clearing in PC world at £49.99)

Stream from your phone

Second hand netbook + powered speakers: £185
Source, amplification, speakers, on-board music storage and unlimited wireless video and audio streaming from all sources. Also plays BBC iPlayer, video, etc. Full web-browsing functionality. Remote control by tablet - or huge onboard screen! Easily upgraded too . . .

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=321024940612
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=110959573563

For value, this is as good as it gets.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
second the SqueezeBoxRadio,it's my bedside radio...one of the last decent bits of kit before Logitech got their grubby hands on SlimDevices ;)

Thanks for all the replies.

Does the Squeezebox stream from the HDX or do I need a NAS with Squeezebox server on it?

Hadn't though about using an old laptop - I've got an old Macbook I could use

Does the bluetooth speaker and iPhone work if I walk around the flat with the phone in my pocket? Do I have to re-pair it with the hands free in the car after every time I've used it?

The Play 3 will be £250 before you've added a controller, network or storage. And it's effectively mono. You can build a great little system around them, but not on this budget.

Did you check out those eBay links?!

I've got an old panasonic ipod dock / cd player (Panasonic SC-HC3DB) you can have for £50 if you're near bracknell, I dont think i've got the remote for it anymore though.

item
I noticed you changed the speaker recommendation do you think the microlabs good value?

There are a few new sub-£100 powered speakers that look really interesting: I'm working on a review for our website comparing a few models by Fostex, Creative, Behringer, M Audio, Edifier, Microlan and Kurzweil.

The Microlab and Edifier both get you a lot for your money . . .

Dear All

Thought I'd bump this thread. I've had a look in the loft to see what other things I had that could help with getting music into the kitchen. I have found an iPod Classic 160GB that works perfectly, a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo with 2x1.5TB HDD - tested and working ok. Also found a pair of M&K K-5 surround sound dipole speakers

Can I use any of these things or shall I put them back in the loft?

TIA

advertisement

Back