advertisement

Streaming music

Ian Dunmore

pfm Member
Morning all, I’d like to give streaming a go, what is the bare minimum I need? I have an amp and Speakers, I would rather use standard rca interconnects and it’s important that the foot print is small, I will be using Tidal on my iPad, above all I really don’t want to spend much and don’t mind secondhand as only dipping my toes in at this stage

Aurilac Aries Mini, there's one for sale in the classifieds ATM, you can add a harddrive to it for a local library so can be your NAS too.

As has been already suggested phone or the machine you are using to post here, you could take the analogue out from the headphone jack ( mini 3.5) into a pair of Phono/RCA sockets, I use a Belkin version.
Keith

I drove past a Richer Sounds and ended up purchasing an Arcam rPlay, hopefully that will do for now while I see if I get on with streaming...

The rplay sounds good. The app may be a bit flaky, not as developed as the sonos one but the Arcam is easily good enough to give you a decent taster of what streaming Tidal can do.

The rplay sounds good. The app may be a bit flaky, not as developed as the sonos one but the Arcam is easily good enough to give you a decent taster of what streaming Tidal can do.
The only issue I can see is that even though it can play 24/192 files, it downscales everything! Does that mean it’s not worth having a premium Tidal account? If so it’s going back tomorrow

Chromecast Audio has an optical digital output. I have just bought one to stream Tidal for my second system.
(Although there are many possible causes, it certainly doesn’t sound as good as the Mac mini in my main system)

If you like the practicality of the CCA and want better sound quality, adding an iFi SPDIF purifier may do the trick.

Sooo does anybody know if I can actually play 24/192 files on the Arcam? I’m streaming it directly from Tidal in my iPad?

Sooo does anybody know if I can actually play 24/192 files on the Arcam? I’m streaming it directly from Tidal in my iPad?
A quick look at the manual seems to suggest it has a “critical listening mode” found in the control app which turns off the downsampling, with a max rate of 24/96.
Maybe the sales team in Richer should have gone through its capabilities & your requirements before asking for your money?
A Bluesound Node2 does handle 24/192, no downsampling & its a blooming good unit, worth the extra above the Arcam, I think.

A quick look at the manual seems to suggest it has a “critical listening mode” found in the control app which turns off the downsampling, with a max rate of 24/96.
Maybe the sales team in Richer should have gone through its capabilities & your requirements before asking for your money?
A Bluesound Node2 does handle 24/192, no downsampling & its a blooming good unit, worth the extra above the Arcam, I think.
That’s my confusion, when I select select ‘critical listening mode’ I get an error message stating it’s not supported? Reading online reviews they all rave about the 24/192 sound but I can’t see how as the unit downscales everything??

advertisement

Back