advertisement

Streamer (or more) with RJ45 socket: budget and/or mid-price recommendations?

I was thinking about getting a streaming amp to use in the living room of our cottage until I can be bothered carting the spare Naim set-up here. So based on this thread I've ordered one of the WiiM amps as having an RJ45 connection is also useful here as the thick walls can make wi-fi reception problematic.

It'll be interesting see how it compares with the current set-up which has an Onix DNA-45 amp and an old Cyrus CD player and an Echo Dot as sources.

Have used a Bluesound Node for a couple of years, and it is plug and play. Also have a wiim pro plus that I haven’t used yet, but it is also plug and play as I understand it. Wiim pro is surely budget, and not sure where the Node falls.

If a build in amp is needed, the Wiim amp seems really hard to beat.

More upscale, I would be looking at Eversolo or Node X.
Thanks Chris.

I was a Node guy for years so a return (used one) might be the most sensible option, but I do think the Wiim is intriguing - great reviews and stonking value.

I was thinking about getting a streaming amp to use in the living room of our cottage until I can be bothered carting the spare Naim set-up here. So based on this thread I've ordered one of the WiiM amps as having an RJ45 connection is also useful here as the thick walls can make wi-fi reception problematic.

It'll be interesting see how it compares with the current set-up which has an Onix DNA-45 amp and an old Cyrus CD player and an Echo Dot as sources.
That's the WiiM arrived and set-up in my livingroom. Sounds decent and the set-up was straightforward, including the ARC connection to the TV.

I’m currently thinking Wiim Amp + speakers. I have huge respect for the Node 2i (which in pimped form was the centre of my streaming chain for years) and it’s siblings/offspring, but rather than add an amp or go Powernode, the Wiim tempts. It may turn out to be a stopgap but I suspect a good few owners started out thinking that and ended up sticking rather than twisting.

I bought the WiiM amp as a stopgap but given the previous stopgap was in place in that room for a couple of years it'll be interesting to see how long it stays. What'll make things more interesting is to put my spare Naim set-up in that room, however as it's a lot of boxes (pre-amp, 2 x power amps, 2 x power suppliers, active crossover) I suspect there will be pressure from the boss lady to keep the WiiM as it's a lot neater.

It's just about got enough inputs I think, if I switch the CD player to the optical input leaving the single set of RCA's free for a turntable and phono stage. A 2nd set of RCA's would be nice though.

I’m currently thinking Wiim Amp + speakers. I have huge respect for the Node 2i (which in pimped form was the centre of my streaming chain for years) and it’s siblings/offspring, but rather than add an amp or go Powernode, the Wiim tempts. It may turn out to be a stopgap but I suspect a good few owners started out thinking that and ended up sticking rather than twisting.
Not sure if you have made a decision and initiated it but I saw this Youtube overview of the Wiim Amp and it may indeed suit what you need.The general thrust seemed to be not to expect it to displace any more ‘serious’ streamer and / or amp but that it is more than suitable and fun to listen to.

It's a shame that WiiM don't do a version of the standalone streamer that has HDMI ARC - if they did I'd probably get a couple to add to other systems we have that have a TV in the set-up. It's not something I'd particularly valued before getting the WiiM amp but now I've got it I'm finding it useful.

I'd get a Wiim Pro Plus (the Plus has a better DAC than the Pro and Mini. They have horrible DACs). It's one of the best streamers, currently, and can't be bet in price, which is around 250€. I got mine for 200€ on Amazon Black Friday.

An even better option might be the Wiim Amp, with your choice of speakers.

EDIT: ah, I see, you made your (wise) decision. Nevermind.

It's a shame that WiiM don't do a version of the standalone streamer that has HDMI ARC - if they did I'd probably get a couple to add to other systems we have that have a TV in the set-up. It's not something I'd particularly valued before getting the WiiM amp but now I've got it I'm finding it useful.
Wiim ultra is on its way,specs can be found out there on various sites

Post in thread 'WiiM Ultra'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-ultra.1731/post-33896

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom