advertisement

Streamer numpty question

Good timing, was just about to drop £800 on a Naim steamer but its pointless right? A cheapy like CCA will be just as good?

I really doubt it.

Never heard that Naim but a CCA's sound quality is clearly below that of a Bluesound Node 2 (both used as digital transports)

With an iFi SPDIF purifier it gets closer.

Good timing, was just about to drop £800 on a Naim steamer but its pointless right? A cheapy like CCA will be just as good?

The only way to tell for sure is a double-blind listening test - there will be lots of subjective claims simply because of the difference in price (and brand status).

Audio kit should never be bought based solely on measurements, buy something and if you like it keep it.

If someone likes how the CCA sounds who gives a shit how it measures?????

Audio kit should never be bought based solely on measurements, buy something and if you like it keep it.

If someone likes how the CCA sounds who gives a shit how it measures?????

Quite right.

Or if it measures perfectly but doesn't sound that good to you, how useful are those measurements?

Or if it measures perfectly but doesn't sound that good to you, how useful are those measurements?

You've just described serge on the wam, so blinkered by measurements he doesn't care how it sounds as long as it measures perfectly.

Higher jitter levels in the CCA's digital out.

What level of jitter do you think is audible? How do you think input jitter affects modern DACs that isolate the audio (master) clock from the input clock using buffering and ASRC?

Have you ever listened/ compared yourself?

I have listened to the CCA, but I guess if I say anything positive about it, you will dismiss me with "Enough said".

Archi also thinks that CCA's analogue out is good enough to integrate any good quality HiFi setup. He actually said "It sounds great".

Enough said.

"You can discard his measurements because he disagrees with my subjective opinion, so he is clearly wrong about everything". :)

What level of jitter do you think is audible? How do you think input jitter affects modern DACs that isolate the audio (master) clock from the input clock using buffering and ASRC?

I have listened to the CCA, but I guess if I say anything positive about it, you will dismiss me with "Enough said".

Don't know about what level of jitter is audible. But CCA's jitter effects are audible to me with at least two modern DACs.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But if you think that a Chromecast Audio out "sounds great" in a good quality stereo setup and you happen to be a blogger I won't waste any time reading your opinions.

"You can discard his measurements because he disagrees with my subjective opinion, so he is clearly wrong about everything". :)
Clearly his measurements aren't of any value to me. As I've said before if the CCA measures perfectly but doesn't sound good to me, how useful are those measurements?

About Archi's opinions about the CCA analogue out sounding great please refer to my earlier post.

Last edited:
You've just described serge on the wam, so blinkered by measurements he doesn't care how it sounds as long as it measures perfectly.
Serge just enjoys transparency , a linear system, others prefer to tailor the sound to their own preference, both are perfectly valid, the output of the CCA is a bit jittery, whether it is audible is another question.
Keith

If something measures bad it will sound bad. At very least it will sound "odd" or "wrong" but some like this sort of thing....
OTOH measuring good is no guarantee that it will sound good but should preclude glaringly obvious inaccuracies.

advertisement

Back