advertisement

Strathern Hi Fi - Speakers and Turntables

Joddle

pfm Member
As far as I remember, Strathern was a company founded with government money which and which was supposed to produce hi fi and of course jobs in the depressed area of Northern Ireland.

Some might argue that some of their stuff was not even hi fi - their odd looking turntable had many weaknesses but the speakers were something different. There were two main types and both were based upon their own ribbon tweeter/midrange unit. The first units I had were in attractive maple cabinets which used short stands to get optimum height. The ribbon was almost full length of the unit and behind it was a flat surfaced pink 8" bass unit. The speakers were a bit of a pig to drive - probably due to the transformer in the crossover which was needed to match to the 0.5ohm mid range/tweeter unit. However with suitable amplification they sounded pretty good to my ears. Alas as time went on the glue holding the magnets in place on the ribbon unit started to break down and thus so wrecked the units and so I had to eventually obtain other speakers.

A friend of mine had the later larger speakers. They employed the same ribbon unit which was mounted on an arm above a pretty conventional box housing a 10" bass unit. The sound was pretty formidable but again it took some driving and some amps simply did not like the inductive loading.

Alas I never had any pictures of my own or my friends units and wondered if any are speakers still with us and what their owners think/thought of them!

Interesting. I remember seeing adverts for the turntables, a budget direct drive IIRC, but had no idea they made speakers. I didn't realise they were state financed either.

Tony.

Hi
I had one of the cheap direct drive turntables, sounded horrible and was flimsy beyond belief, bought from comet I think mid to late seventies.
Regards
Jim

So, the De Lorean of hi-fi? I understand De Loreans are quite collectible now. All we need is for someone to make a film featuring Strathern speakers, and their value could soar.

STM4 Turntable and SMA2 from what I remember, a kind of Rim/Direct drive system, ie an electronically driven rim using a magnetic strip around the inside of the platter. The speaker system was an infinite baffle bass with a Streathern Designed Panel Mid/Treble unit, SLA2. The decks were of the veeeery low mass arm design, flimsy and bloody awful, the speakers however were pretty damn good.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/messages/34865.html

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/4156801/description.html

http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/October 1976/173/734664/Audio+76#header-logo go to page 3

Way to good for that company..

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125336

Infinity used the Strathearn panels in their big dipole system.

I believe from the web that many people have used the Strathearn panels for creating mega speakers of their own - but I have seen little or nothing about the original designs which were sold in the UK - does anyone out there still have a pair of the speakers? and if so which model? - and what do they sound like today?

I only heard the Strathearn speakers once and the mid and treble were superb. As with all early hybrids though, the bass to mid matching wasn't right but on orchestral music it wasn't such a problem.

The turntables were clever but soooo flimsy and frail in construction, which had a negative on sound quality sadly...

I seem to recall reviews at the time saying you got pot luck with the turntable whenever you turned it on as to which direction it turned.
I knew about the government help but like Tony L. didn't realise they made 'speakers too.

Mick

I seem to recall reviews at the time saying you got pot luck with the turntable whenever you turned it on as to which direction it turned.
I knew about the government help but like Tony L. didn't realise they made 'speakers too.

Mick

You have just reminded me of that quirk of the turntables sometimes going in reverse - something I had forgotten completely until you just mentioned it. It was bizarre and very annoying and although I did not own one of the wretched things my friend was a representative for the company and always had a few in his house - all of which I seem to recall did the same thing ! If only they had stuck to the 'speakers - maybe the company would still be around!

I had an SMA2 and it looked superb especially in black in a Douglas Adams sort of way. It did sometimes have a 'wobble' before it got going but worked well. It had touch controls that were heat sensitive and would require a warm or damp paw to work properly. The arm was rubbish and very frail. It was thrashed by the Planner 3 that replaced it but I do have fond memories of the thing.

I was offered one of their turntables from a small ad locally in Dublin - ad mentioned a Naim Nait which I paid the princely sum of €50 from memory :) He also had Linn Index speakers and the Strathern turntable - I took the speakers but the turntable looked complete plastic tosh, although the owner was very enthusiastic about it's NI government funded history and he had the original manual and other sales literature with it. Can't remember what he wanted for it, but I just thought it look rubbish!

Richard

OK OK OK -I think we have pretty well established the turntables were rubbish - but let's have something more about the speakers which certainly were not rubbish....

I recall HFW doing an article on how rubbish the turntables were..

They didn't mention the speakers. :)

Afaik another govt funded turntable was the French model ERA. They were not bad. I bet if the govt funded Russian Camera company Zenith had made a turnatable it would have been a goodie......that trap door shutter was like the recoil from a deer rifle.

advertisement

Back