advertisement

Strange Adaptor - What Is This?

Suffolk Tony

Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.
Hi folks,

I've just been clearing out my cabling drawer (well, one of them anyway) & filed stuff away for either recycling or keeping. So I've come across this adaptor and, for the life of me, I really can't work out what the devil it's for.

It's a male USB plug on the cable end, and a female USB socket on the other. The solid bit's 8 cm long, & if you plug it into my Mac computer, it draws power but I can't "see" it on the system. There are no markings on the blessed thing either.

Does anyone have any idea as to what it might be please? I've looked on order histories etc., but with no success.
9eLjNnJ.jpg

When you say that 'but I can't "see" it on the system' have you tried about this mac>system report>USB. If you are lucky the device should be identified here.

DV

Could it be a booster? I've got a bit like that on my 12m usb for connecting to the cars.

Mine has a small light iirc.

Plug it into a linuxy computer, restart the computer, open a terminal and type "lsusb" and / or "dmesg" (without quotation marks).

you may get a clue

If it's a Mac, open Terminal and type "ioreg -p IOUSB -w0 -l".

No need to reboot with USB devices.

Looks like a Sony memory stick adaptor to me. Ever had a Sony camera or PDA in the house?

When you say that 'but I can't "see" it on the system' have you tried about this mac>system report>USB. If you are lucky the device should be identified here.

DV
This is what I get -
Auto Box

:

Product ID: 0x1520

Vendor ID: 0x1314

Version: 2.00

Serial Number: 0123456789ABCDEF

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/s

Manufacturer: Magic Communication Tec.

Location ID: 0x02120000 / 6

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

I've tried Googling Magic Communication Tec., but I can't find anything meaningful. I'm racking my brains to think what I could have bought this for but alas, senile decay prevents me getting the information from inside my head.

advertisement

Back