advertisement

Stones on CD - best versions for SQ

Which ones in particular? I’m not a Stones fan, but I get the impression that as with most things the earlier masterings are preferable if imperfect, with some preferring the later Virgin issues, but few liking anything beyond that. My impression on a quick AB between I think Sticky Fingers was the original CBS issue was quiet with natural dynamics, but a bit bright, the Virgin a little squashed but maybe more even tonally. The fairly recent expanded anniversary remaster of Exile was just way beyond shite, so avoid that. The Virgin of that one is pretty good actually, it is one of the few Stones albums I quite like so I have a copy, but original vinyl sounds way better (sold mine ages back). I’ve not heard the SACDs.

Hi Tony,

For me 68 - 78 (I guess some folk will consider pre 68 to be the classic period).

So from Beggars Banquet through to Some Girls.

I’ve just been listening to Goats Head Soup on Tidal (HiFi subscription) so supposedly CD quality and it don’t sound too clever SQ wise to my ears.

The only Stones I have on CD is the Exile remaster you mentioned - and I concur with your description, yuk!

Maybe I should just try and find some old LPs to add to my current small collection (Some Girls, It’s only Rock ’n’ Roll, Big Hits (high tide . . .)

advertisement

Back