advertisement

Steve Guttenberg

For me reviews written or filmed are a great source of new music. I don’t always agree with the genres or takes on the material, but they offer a different perspective from my own or what the Spotify/radio paradise algorithm has.

I like the get togethers with Herb.you can feel their love of the medium. I’m still wondering whether to spring for the Pioneer PLX 1000 direct drive instead of a Technics after Herb’s glowing reviews.

I prefer listening to audio designers talking about audio - Nelson Pass and all the rest of them, like Piega staff. A lot of "reviewers" are windbags, like Guttenberg and others that happily elude my memory.

I find that some of these YouTube channels are a bit like GB News: one expects information but ends up getting propaganda.

I like the diversity. There is something for pretty much everyone across a whole spectrum of audio interests. I’ve very little interest in current audio so tend to end up on the various vintage restoration channels, music/studio tech, or music review channels myself, but I like that content exists in all conceivable areas. I see none if the hateful propaganda of GB News, just different folk finding different things to enjoy in what is a very broad hobby.

This whole area has been improved exponentially by the internet IMO. I can’t imagine going back to the dark days where dealers and magazines were the primary information sources. We have seen a vast democratisation of the marketplace since then. As such a vast diversity of viewpoint has opened up, and that can only be a good thing. More is better. Just find your own place in it.

just been watching him review some fascinating Buchardt a10 active standmounts . comparing to a passive speaker with a pass XA25 .... must say i would have a nervous breakdown with 10 versions of sound with the active ones . be nice to hear some someday

For me reviews written or filmed are a great source of new music. I don’t always agree with the genres or takes on the material, but they offer a different perspective from my own or what the Spotify/radio paradise algorithm has.

Lavorgna’s Twittering Machines has the best music stuff, imo. Well, it’s so similar to my preferences that I favor it.

Multiple times I’ve sat down to listen to music and I’m browsing his site and I’ll see him mention an album I’m currently listening to. That happened with the new Kali Malone last week!

I take most of what YT reviewers say with a grain of salt. For me the most entertaining ones are Steve Gutenberg and John Darko.
Erin seems like he knows what he's talking about and least likely to be a shill.
Tarun is OK but my short attention span forces me to skip the part where he gives the weight/dimensions in inches and centimeters.
Terry (Pursuit of...) seems passionate but always looks like he's trying not to laugh. Wouldn't make a good salesman.
Kelvin is OK too but he's always fiddling with his nose like he's on coke or something.
Steve Huff reviews stuff that's waaay out of my budget and always seems to have found his end game (until the next review) which makes me question his credibility.
I like Soundnews' accent. ''I could feel the bass punching really hard in the chest...''
Something really artificial about Andrew Robinson and to quote another member...cringe worthy when reacting to his off screen partner's comments. I understand why she doesn't want to be seen with him.
Another guy that REALLY annoys me is Cheap Audio Man. Just can't take him seriously.

advertisement

Back