advertisement

Starterish bass

fay spook

pfm Member
Being a leftie I have a limited range of options for a starterish bass (I have the fundamentals). You will get the picture of the sound I am after when I tell you the 2 top of my list: Fender Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or G&L Tribute L-2000. I have held and slapped both and they feel OK. However I am new to this so if anyone has any opinions, further ideas or recommendations I would welcome them.

Budget up to about £400.

No right answer, the right bass will find you in time, maybe several of them. The only advice I'd give is to try and buy what you actually want rather than a copy of it as a musical instrument is a very personal thing and something that should be with you for decades, i.e. I'd at least try playing a USA Jazz or G&L and seeing if the sound/feel/general vibe is worth the extra dosh to you. Over a lifetime the cost difference isn't actually that crazy!

Thankfully I've got weird taste and play vintage Shergolds, which weren't expensive at all, but every now and again I'm half tempted to go land a shiny new Rick 4003 or nice natural wood finish Jazz Bass just for the hell of it! It may happen one day, though as much as anything because I'd rather like to try a twin pickup bass! For some reason I've only ever owned single pickup jobs (I had an Aria SB1000 back in the '80s).

I know you're right. You know you're right but the bank manager doesn't. I will give the U.S. versions a go. This then opens up Musicmans etc.

It's funny, the things we are trying to reproduce with our hifis are bought on feel and instinct. But there are many who wouldn't purchase systems using the same reactions to the sound. You won't see a frequency response chart for a guitar. Temptingly Orange make an isobaric bass cabinet. Unfortunately for Linn there's no k in Orange.

I've got a Squier vintage modified jaguar short scale bass and I like it. It plays well, is finished well and it's only main weak spot is it's J pickup (the pickup closest to the bridge), which is all right, but not really strong enough to stand on it's own. I think the J pickup in the full length Squier Jaguar VM is better, so less of an issue there.

I've tried and played other short scale bass guitars and this one really is damn fine. Sure it isn't likely to be in Paul McCartney's collection, but considering it's low cost guitar, feels like it gives mid cost value. I'm in Glasgow and if you're nearby, you can see/play mine if you haven't already tried one.

Don't overlook Yamahas. Fantastic basses for not a lot of money. The BB424 P/J passive is a steal for around £250. I like the BB line, but there are others if active is your thing.

I don't even play bass really, but I love them - I also eye up Rickys.......

Tony's advice is the best - I'm toying with finally getting another Hammond C3/B3 - if I'd bought one 20 years ago, I'd have paid less overall than the 'cheaper' substitutes I've been through. See also guitars, synthesisers, drums, hifi etc.:D

Stephen

The Fender Squier Vintage Modified is an excellent place to start but it will not retain much value if or when you come to sell it if that is important to you. I would go Musicman second hand. They are pretty bullet proof and there is a lovely black Stingray on eBay for £750 BIN that looks fantastic. Whats more, it will always be worth decent money. My only hesitation on a Jazz second hand is there does seem to be a lot of variation in quality and I don't know how confident you are demoing one and identifying a goodun.

Sorry for doubling your budget but Tony is right, get the right instrument first.

Oops sorry, just realised you were leftie, OK that MM won't work but they do turn up.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I know you're right. You know you're right but the bank manager doesn't. I will give the U.S. versions a go. This then opens up Musicmans etc.

It's funny, the things we are trying to reproduce with our hifis are bought on feel and instinct. But there are many who wouldn't purchase systems using the same reactions to the sound. You won't see a frequency response chart for a guitar. Temptingly Orange make an isobaric bass cabinet. Unfortunately for Linn there's no k in Orange.

Orange Kab

A while ago I looked at getting a bass as a new type of thing to play (I play guitar mostly), and went and handled a few.

I was really impressed with the American Special Jazz Bass - but then the price was too much for a whim purchase.

Bought a Les Paul instead :/

I'd buy a Jazz if I was you. Rather than a Squier VM, look for a second-hand Japanese one. These will retain their value and are higher quality. The thing to watch out for is how precisely the strings pass through the dead centre of the pickup pole pieces. I get very anal about that.

That said, if it's a first bass you don't necessarily have to be spending these sums of money. Second-hand Ibanezes and Yamahas are very good. Meanwhile, the Shine Marcus Miller V7 range is getting huge plaudits over on Basschat.

Finally, once you've got something halfway decent, just stick with it, practice, get in a band if you make progress, and don't obsess about gear. I've probably blown about £10k over the past ten years on basses and always come back to a US Jazz with EMGs.

Yamaha basses are nice, especially the classic BB range. The bass sound of The Smiths amongst others.

I have a shergold beaten up thing that looks like a wal as all the switchgear etc is worn away - lefty are harder to find but just cos its cheap doesn't mean it isn't nice - mine cost me £150 and the action is great to learn on

I have a shergold beaten up thing that looks like a wal as all the switchgear etc is worn away - lefty are harder to find but just cos its cheap doesn't mean it isn't nice - mine cost me £150 and the action is great to learn on

I like Shergolds. I also like those late 70s Peaveys - T20s and T40s. The guy in This Heat used to play one.

But I'm selling my house so am going to blow some cash on a Wal. :D

If the OP or any of the aspiring players on this thread are in the East End, my daughter has a nice Tanglewood in cherry (with a case) that she no longer has time for.
PM for contact details if you want to give it a try.

Squier and Yamaha are both good choices. The Squier VM and CV ranges are excellent value for money.

I have a G&L Tribute range guitar, and I'd put that up against anything under about £500-600, so, I expect that bass would also be a good choice.

I like Shergolds. I also like those late 70s Peaveys - T20s and T40s. The guy in This Heat used to play one.

But I'm selling my house so am going to blow some cash on a Wal. :D

Must be time for me to post my pics again;-)

BandGig201109003.jpg

WengeWalwithRig_zps91211a60.jpg

advertisement

Back