advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

OMG this show is horrible. We're down to stealing classic lines from Star Trek II now, minus the gravitas that came along with them.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear ...

Not a spoiler—but has a show had such a pointless group of secondary characters? Who are all those people on the bridge?

Stephen

Stephen,

I watched it last night, when it became available on the streaming service I subscribe to. Feel free to discuss away.

Vuk doesn't like the new show, so I'm sure he's avoiding it out of principle.

Joe

Oh well, let's journey back again to the days when Trek was Trek.

Note shoulder jab going in. Kirk's line here was "Aieeee...my spleen!" I believe....

index.php

This is really beyond poor. We watched #8 last night and I've already forgotten the story. No, wait...I remember...it was stupid.

I actually dialled up a middling STTNG episode afterwards to remind myself what Trek looks like. TNG is looking more like a classic series in its own right in present company.

And the "Enterprise fanfare" at the end of the opening titles (which are otherwise quite nice in a Westworld kinda way) is arse-clenchingly bad.

I think the thing to do is just forget that it is supposed to be Star Trek and watch it as if it its a totally new programme.

Less expectation engenders less disappointment.

I think the thing to do is just forget that it is supposed to be Star Trek and watch it as if it its a totally new programme.

Less expectation engenders less disappointment.

I am. As I said earlier, it's a middling SF series. Somewhere between Dark Matter and Killjoys.

Still disappointed though.

Stephen

i did.

this is not science fiction, it's new age fiction -- and the millennials probably don't even know what that means.

vuk.
Exactly right, an excellent insight. Consider the main difference between the basic mindsets of science fiction before and after the 'new wave' (I think you meant 'new wave,' not 'new age?') The 'before' SF was a product of the postwar mindset of the US: 'We are powerful, we are good.' We knew this because we'd beaten the Nazis. Science made us powerful, able to take on and defeat any foe, who of course was evil, since only an evil foe, like the Nazis, would want to oppose us. The best of us were heros, courageous, hyper-competent, almost always devoted to altruistic and egalitarian values, and unflinching in self-sacrificial devotion to duty. In a word, Star Fleet officers. At least, until this latest series came along.

What New Wave SF did was challenge the whole classic SF worldview that came before it. It emphasized that people were often weak, often venal, and seldom the smallest bit able to cope with the senseless forces that buffeted them. They had no end of major hang-ups, and were totally preoccupied with them. Duty was an absurd joke if it was even remotely thought-of.

Yes, the Discovery is not part of Star Fleet as it has always been. Some 50 years after the New Wave transformed SF, it has caught up with Star Trek.

Oh, for goodness sake, nobody is making you watch it.

DonQuixote99 makes a sound point, and as I pointed out down thread, this Trek but not as we know it. It's not perfect, but personally I find it compelling.

So what has happened to Voq? Something tells me we're about to find out.

Bloody hell, wish I had your job.

The same could be said for TNG, DS9, Voyager and with knobs on for Enterprise.

advertisement

Back