advertisement

Standmount speakers

Adam3004

pfm Member
Hi, I've decided to change my speakers. I currently have a Quad Vena and Neat Motive Sx2 speakers. On the whole I like this system, but ever since we redecorated and changed the carpet for a wooden floor, I can't help but feel the sound is a little thin.

I don't like large floor standing speakers, hence I went with the Neats originally, so I'm thinking of trying some standmount speakers placed on some Audio Chic stands. Has anyone got any that they recommend auditioning, I'm looking for a smoother sound. As a starting point I'm going to try and listen to some Quad S2 speakers, as I've got a Quad amp I'm guessing they should work well together. Budget us 1k tops but I don't need to send that.
Thanks

Home demo:

I've only heard the Motive at shows etc, but for their size, I'd not describe them as 'thin', so it could be your room. The Quad S2 are good speakers, but not as 'full' a sound as your Neats. Buying blind/used based on opinion from members here with different rooms is a sure fire way to waste a lot of money. Have you thought of repositioning the speakers? A £1k budget also buys you into the world of DSP which is the way I would go, or indeed went.

these are great, try to get the mk2, other these will blow you away http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=233791223640
best stand mount ever,
But, I think, the drivers are unavailable if anything goes wrong, but I agree, mighty fine speakers, and amazing for their size and price. However, if we are going that far leftfield, we should include Meridian M2 actives, and of course Linn Isobariks are technically stand mount speakers and no-one has ever called them 'thin'.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a rug down already and I can't realistically move the speakers so.......perhaps 'thin' was the wrong description. It is the room that causing the problem, I'm just trying to warm/smooth things up a bit.

I've read a fair bit about the Lyngdorf room correction equipment, do you think this would be a possible solution?
Thanks

Have you considered adding a small subwoofer, one from REL or BK might just give you what you want. Borrow one to try. Pair it with some hardware DSP like a DSpeaker or MiniDSP.

Spendor S3/5r or the later ‘2 variant 2nd hand, or perhaps their current iteration 4/5 new (not sure you’d find any used ones).

They would fit your requirement of being smooth.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a rug down already and I can't realistically move the speakers so.......perhaps 'thin' was the wrong description. It is the room that causing the problem, I'm just trying to warm/smooth things up a bit.

I've read a fair bit about the Lyngdorf room correction equipment, do you think this would be a possible solution?
Thanks
If you want to try different speakers I'd suggest ProAc or Spendor.

Lyngdorf Room Perfect works really well but even used you're way over a £1K budget for anything with the latest Room Perfect system. No harm in getting a home loan to find out if that's where you want to take the system. I've had several Lyngdorf amps, currently running a TDAI-3400 with both the optional boards.

I’ve just got dynaudio evoke 10 exdem for under 1k and they are a full and warm sounding monitor but need a bit of space to the rear.. mine are 20cm from rear of cabinet

Thanks
Yes, and changing the speakers to anything else - no.
Lyngdorf is quite an expensive option, and may stretch your budget. Dirac, DSpeaker and miniDSP and so on are viable alternatives. I started with a Behringer DEQ2496 and a calibrated Mic some years ago, cost me about £200 and it transformed by system! The REW software is bewildering, and comprehensive, but once you realise you only need 1/10 it's functions, it's all a bit easier. Lots of T&E later, and you will be amazed!

I’ve just got dynaudio evoke 10 exdem for under 1k and they are a full and warm sounding monitor but need a bit of space to the rear.. mine are 20cm from rear of cabinet
Out of interest did you compare them to anything similar, 40’s or ProAc for example?

Out of interest did you compare them to anything similar, 40’s or ProAc for example?
Ive had Proac d2 in the past and these sound very similar with a warmth to the accurate midS and really nice top end. The new tweeter in the evoke range is a peach..can’t afford the 40’s!

I’ve got some Neat Motive 2’s used in a room with a wooden floor (and a rug). I certainly wouldn’t describe the sound as thin or lacking smoothness and warmth. Might be worth experimenting with small adjustments in the height of the plinth as the ports are downward firing. You’d have to spend quite serious money to get a worthwhile improvement IMHO.

Neat Motive are great speakers if room are not to large and on decent amplication placed away from rear wall.

Source matters indeed, no idea what used, maybe this is the issue here ?
Motives are very revealing.
I doubt stand mounts in generel solve problem..

advertisement

Back