advertisement

Squeezebox duet upgrade

I have a Duet and I plan to do this. Just not yet!
It looks fiddly so you will need to be confident in your soldering skills Not for the faint hearted.

Completely new to all this. All the names and values etc reads like gibberish to me. Anyone have a rough idea what this would cost for parts.

Anyone willing to carry out this mod for me, for a fee of course.

Pennies really. Well a few quid. Perhaps best not to try it if you don't know even what the part are being discussed :)

I'd happily do it for you for a bit of beer money however the boards are delicate and extremely sensitive to damage and are not really meant to be reworked so could offer no guarantee.

Stefan

Pennies really. Well a few quid. Perhaps best not to try it if you don't know even what the part are being discussed :)

I'd happily do it for you for a bit of beer money however the boards are delicate and extremely sensitive to damage and are not really meant to be reworked so could offer no guarantee.

Stefan

hi orangeart,

I think the article really only describes some initial mods to the duet. The main
advantage is the LAMPIZATOR tube circuit and that requires a lot more work and expense.

regards
Greg

I get the impression the OP was only talking about these initial mods not the tube stage as well. When I get to the office later I'll PM him and find out exactly. Agreed it would offer a lot more expense and complexity and probably not improve things. These other mods sod only offer a marginal improvement but as they are cheap are maybe worth doing. I built a PSU for mine when I had one and that was fairly transformative. Still got it some where...

Sorry for the late update. Orangeart completed this a while ago for me and is working perfectly. I find the sound to be much less harsh and smoother. More realistic I would say. I am using the standard psu and feeding the spdif out to a beresford 7510 with standard psu. I hope to get round to upgrading the psu on both which I think will bring about benefits. I think the limiting factor at the moment are my active monitors (Alesis 520) with separate sub.

Glad it's working out for you. I never did any mods except the power supply upgrade when I had mine. That worked very nicely, did one for my touch as well. There is a thread here abouts that I did at the time. Tony did a similar one for his touch as well.

Tony did you etch some boards for yours? can't remember, it would be good to have some PFM TPR boards.

Glad it's working out for you. I never did any mods except the power supply upgrade when I had mine. That worked very nicely, did one for my touch as well. There is a thread here abouts that I did at the time. Tony did a similar one for his touch as well.

Tony did you etch some boards for yours? can't remember, it would be good to have some PFM TPR boards.

Yes I think I did a DIY etch of Martins tracking pre but it was a long time ago.
The tracking pre is certainly not to be sniffed at.

Busy with the Mite right know but could do a TPR following the Mite
Tony

Yeah that would be brilliant, it wouldn't take up much room on a proper PCB. My Vero board version was quite big really. Be good to see a design that was flexible enough to use decent heat sinks and take either pots or LEDs or what ever else a user want to do as reference. Maybe even squeeze a VBE in before it to help at the higher frequencies.

Maybe I should just learn how to use circuit layout software.....

advertisement

Back