advertisement

Squeezebox app

Ginger

pfm Member
The SBT app won't work on a new iphone 7 I've just bought. I see when I search on the app store for 'Logitech squeezebox' I get a suggested 'ipeng app'. Does anyone know if this does the same thing and control the SBT?

I upgraded from an old version of iPeng to the latest a few months ago. Now having ‘Composer’ as a search category has been worth the cost on its own. Previously for classical music I had to put the composer under ‘Artist’ but now I can save that tag for the conductor/orchestra or soloist.

iPeng is good, a little bit head scratching to get around initially but easy once you get the hang of it.

I cannot help but feel time is nearly up for good ol' squeezebox.

iPeng is good, a little bit head scratching to get around initially but easy once you get the hang of it.

I cannot help but feel time is nearly up for good ol' squeezebox.

Though I employ my SB Touch for Roon now, I still run a Pi3 and Screen with LMS. I use Picoreplayer and Jivelite. It works beautifully. I came to SB quite late so I was incredibly disappointed when they Logitech discontinued the products shortly afterwards. But I’m constantly amazed by the continued support that the Squeezebox gives to prolonging the life of LMS. The recent Spotify rescue and other fantastic plug underline the intent of the community. I believe LMS will continue to evolve and the new wave of hardware will allow the this. I don’t see an end at this time

I upgraded from an old version of iPeng to the latest a few months ago. Now having ‘Composer’ as a search category has been worth the cost on its own. Previously for classical music I had to put the composer under ‘Artist’ but now I can save that tag for the conductor/orchestra or soloist.
You can tag against multiple artists by defining in LMS a separator for use within the artist tag. Then you can arrive at the music via any of them. Very, very handy in general.

And for classical music I use this feature rather than the composer tag, I can put in composer, orchestra, conductor, soloists etc.

I use semicolon. For example I tag as "Bob Marley; The Wailers". That way I can find any Bob Marley at once, whether with the Wailers or not. Same with tracks featuring this or that artist, or remixed by this or that artist.

Last edited:
As long as Michael Herger is around to keep the Squeezebox ecosystem running, it's still a highly viable platform. I think the main worry would be if he gave up and no-one else was able to take over...

Though I employ my SB Touch for Roon now, I still run a Pi3 and Screen with LMS. I use Picoreplayer and Jivelite. It works beautifully. I came to SB quite late so I was incredibly disappointed when they Logitech discontinued the products shortly afterwards. But I’m constantly amazed by the continued support that the Squeezebox gives to prolonging the life of LMS. The recent Spotify rescue and other fantastic plug underline the intent of the community. I believe LMS will continue to evolve and the new wave of hardware will allow the this. I don’t see an end at this time
Likewise...it's now a completely open source and open platform solution, LMS is a great integration point for your local files and streaming services

Pi3 running LMS/piCorePlayer, referencing 3k Flac CDs on QNAP NAS + Spotify Premium + Deezer Elite (on trial) + many other other plugins for streaming and radio...into

LivingRoom; SBTouch/EDO
Kitchen; Pi2/Audiophonics/piCorePlayer
Spare Room; SB Boom
Bedroom; SB Classic
Study; Pi2/HiFiBerry Digi + pro/piCorePlayer

I can control it all via Orange Squeeze on my android devices, via the web interface on my laptops, or even the old school SB RF remotes...

Thanks should also go to Triode for EDO, and the likes of PiCorePlayer, and Max2Play, for providing Rpi packages...they're also worthy of donations ;-)

The Squeezebox app no longer worked when IOS11 came along as they don't support it. So unless you have an older device to run it on its useless. I've been using Ipeng for a couple of years now, it gets updates now and again and actually is much better than the Squeezebox app

As long as Michael Herger is around to keep the Squeezebox ecosystem running, it's still a highly viable platform. I think the main worry would be if he gave up and no-one else was able to take over...

Even without mherger, all we would lose is the mysqueezebox service. Not a major loss. The rest of the ecosystem would be OK.

advertisement

Back