advertisement

Squeeze Box Touch running Tidal

Hi folks

I have a Tidal Hi Fi plus account that I stream through a Squeeze Box Touch connected to a Cambridge DAT Magic DAT Using USB via a Powered USB a HUB. I installed the EDO app assuming this would give better quality and higher sampling than standard 16/44.1 kHz rate. With a Hi Fi plus account there are Master quality tapes and it claims that streaming rates as standard go up to 24 bit/192 kHz However it appears that the streaming quality hasn’t changed and my Tidal account streams only at 44.1 KHz according to the LED display on my my DAT Magic. I may well have this totally wrapped round my neck but I was assuming the EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) app would improve the sample rate to match the higher quality source via Tidal. Can any one put my right or put me on the right track?

Hi folks

I have a Tidal Hi Fi plus account that I stream through a Squeeze Box Touch connected to a Cambridge DAT Magic DAT Using USB via a Powered USB a HUB. I installed the EDO app assuming this would give better quality and higher sampling than standard 16/44.1 kHz rate. With a Hi Fi plus account there are Master quality tapes and it claims that streaming rates as standard go up to 24 bit/192 kHz However it appears that the streaming quality hasn’t changed and my Tidal account streams only at 44.1 KHz according to the LED display on my my DAT Magic. I may well have this totally wrapped round my neck but I was assuming the EDO (Enhanced Digital Output) app would improve the sample rate to match the higher quality source via Tidal. Can any one put my right or put me on the right track?
Yep. You need to use the coax really. Also, aren’t the masters MQA?

Hi folks. Thanks for the suggestions so far. The model name of the DAC Is DAC magic plus. Not sure if that makes it an early model or later one. However I have tried connecting via USB with a powered USB hub, and a coax cable, and Tos link cable. They all stream at the same rate according to the LED read out on the DAC. So I’m pretty sure the issue is not with the DAC. The main issue really is that the squeezebox touch has the EDO App installed which theoretically enables digital outputs of 192 Khz So really I can’t see any reason why the high resolution files or them and QA files on TIDAL shouldn’t stream at Hire sampling rates.

Hi folks. Thanks for the suggestions so far. The model name of the DAC Is DAC magic plus. Not sure if that makes it an early model or later one. However I have tried connecting via USB with a powered USB hub, and a coax cable, and Tos link cable. They all stream at the same rate according to the LED read out on the DAC. So I’m pretty sure the issue is not with the DAC. The main issue really is that the squeezebox touch has the EDO App installed which theoretically enables digital outputs of 192 Khz So really I can’t see any reason why the high resolution files or them and QA files on TIDAL shouldn’t stream at Hire sampling rates.
The Dacmagic Plus will indeed support rates on USB to 24/192 according to two review sites I checked.

I don't know the Squeezebox Touch but have you checked for example here that you have done all the updates to the SBT to allow it to run EDO properly? Is any re-sampling capability turned off (if available) in case it is down-sampling?

Then the Tidal service. AIUI, the SBT doesn't have the means to decode the MQA coding of a Tidal Master file. Perhaps the Tidal app on the SBT knows this and streams the standard 16/44 file instead whenever you ask for a Tidal Master file it can't handle. Does Tidal have non-Master but still high resolution files to try streaming? If you stream one of those does it still come out as 16/44 on the Dacmagic Plus LEDs?

Thanks again for your reply and ideas.

I’ve checked out the manual and it appears that the DAT magic plus does indeed support USB2 outputs and will run at 24/192 samples. I have checked the settings and reset them to make sure that it is running in the USB2 mode. When I plug the SBTN both recognises it in the DAC And the DIC magic appears in the digital audio menu of the SBT. Indicating that it is connected at USB to levels. All the instructions of the EDO software Suggest that the SBT should be able to run up to 24/192 files. As far as I can see there is no limiting settings auto factors within the SBT To stop it running full Size files up to 192 hz. And thanks for the connection to the help page for the video software I reinstalled it following the instructions. Again no development the LED on the DAC Magic stays tenaciously on the 44.1 light.… The mystery continues

Thanks harmonica98 I’ve updated my media server and checked the firmware is up-to-date. But I can’t find where in the Logitech media server (LMS) I would alter the settings of the TIDAL app, can you give me an Guidance?

How do you run LMS? You need to access the settings pages where there is a plugin menu.

I should add that I don't have Tidal myself but this is what needs to happen with Qobuz and I assume the same principal applies.

Do you have a locally stored 24/192 file that you can play? Then you can isolate whether it's the rate or Tidal?
I don't think there are any Tidal specific settings on LMS itself..?

The Tidal API used in LMS is restricted

https://forums.slimdevices.com/show...Plus-bitrate&p=1040548&viewfull=1#post1040548

The lower cost subscription streams everything at 44.1 and I suspect that may also apply to the more costly stream. I have tried to confirm this by obtaining a trial, but alas, my PayPal account is blocked for further trials :rolleyes:

This may interest you

https://forums.slimdevices.com/show...via-native-Android-apps&p=1023281#post1023281

You can get test files here

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?

On the SBT the bit rate is shown at Settings > Advanced > Digital Output > Select Digital Output > USB-Audio (info)

It might buffer a bit at 192.000 :eek: If you stream the link, which is what I'm doing as test

If you download a file and playback on the SBT, just tap the Plus sign in the trc and then More info.

Qobuz on the LMS streams at 44.1,96.0 and 192.000

ronnie

Thanks Ronnie I do have the Hi Fi Plus account which claims to be better quality and includes hi res files and Master Quality files

I will try the hi res files and see what happens

thanks

mark

On the SBT the bit rate is shown at Settings > Advanced > Digital Output > Select Digital Output > USB-Audio (info)
Odd. I don't see that setting in my system, running Logitech Media Server Version: 8.1.1 - 1610364019 @ Thu Jan 14 06:14:13 WEST 2021.

Often those Advanced settings changed based upon the enabled plug-ins. However, I've just checked my list of available plug-ins, and I don't see any likely suspects related to "digital" or "output".

In my case, though, I have an Allo USBridge Signature, with the Allo DigiOne Signature hat. I'm feeding the signal from the DigiOne's coax output into the DAC. (The DigiOne doesn't have a USB output.)

We are talking EDO ;) It's not a Plugin but an Applet :eek:
Ah, that makes more sense now. All three of my Touches are configured to use EDO, but of course the Allo gear (running PiCorePlayer) doesn't have this ability. Regardless, the Allo was clearly better than the SBT as a pure transport. I'll admit, though, that I was using coaxial for that test. According to that page you referenced, a toslink cable might have been better for the SBT.

I'm currently running a Blue Jeans Cable RCA S/PDIF digital cable with adaptor between the Allo and Denafrips, and I should really get a proper BNC-terminated one. While I'm at it, I'll look through my collection of toslink cables to try the SBT again.

Cor. Remember just sticking a tape in and pressing play?
:D It's easy to be wooed by nostalgia. However, I distinctly remember:
  • The deck eating a tape
  • Jamming a tape
  • Cleaning the heads, capstan, and roller
  • Aligning the heads (on my expensive deck)
  • Noticing how terrible prerecorded cassettes sounded, so going to the trouble of recording the LP onto a better quality tape
  • Comparing the sound using the various types of Dolby
  • Debating whether the "metal" tapes were worth the extra money
  • Forgetting other fiddly stuff that probably happened as well :confused:
BTW, just a couple of days ago I explained to my 16yo son what 8-track tapes were. I've trained him to be skeptical (by occasionally spouting nonsense with a straight face), so it took me a while to convince him that they were really a thing.

Last edited:
:D It's easy to be wooed by nostalgia. However, I distinctly remember:
  • The deck eating a tape
  • Jamming a tape
  • Cleaning the heads, capstan, and roller
  • Aligning the heads (on my expensive deck)
  • Noticing how terrible prerecorded cassettes sounded, so going to the trouble of recording the LP onto a better quality cassette
  • Comparing the sound with the various types of Dolby
  • Debating whether the "metal" tapes were worth the extra money
  • Forgetting other fiddly stuff that probably happened as well
BTW, just a couple of days ago I explained to my 16yo son what 8-track tapes were. I've trained him to be skeptical (by occasionally spouting nonsense with a straight face), so it took me a while to convince him that they were really a thing.
Sweet music to my ears.

advertisement

Back