advertisement

Spotify is good but is there something better

For one track I correctly picked A from B (not knowing which was lossless and which was 320) 9 times out of 10 times tried. It was the heavy rock track.

I couldn't establish a preference, mind - but then we are just discussing hearing a difference.

I'm happy to accept this is an atypical track - but for me it proves that it's possible with some tracks.

For one track I correctly picked A from B (not knowing which was lossless and which was 320) 9 times out of 10 times tried. It was the heavy rock track.

OK. That is a pretty clear result.

I'm happy to accept this is an atypical track - but for me it proves that it's possible with some tracks.

Sure - and I think most of us acknowledge that there are corner cases where the codecs are less than perfect.

Given that I already have a Spotify subscription (and the rest of the family are very happy with its functionality and interface), then a TIDAL arrangement was, at least in the short-term, an incremental cost i.e. Spotify £10 + TIDAL £20 or whatever. So £30/month. As many of you will know, getting proper listening time with family/kids around isn't easy and I concluded that if I was struggling to get decent clear time to compare Spotify and TIDAL then I realised I probably wasn't really getting much proper listening time, any time! So I've stuck with Spotify 320kbps, knowing it's a "now" decision, not lifelong.

FWIW, I felt I consistently enjoyed some specific tracks/artists more on TIDAL than Spotify. (PC » [optical in] Hegel HD12 » Roksan Kandy power » PMC DB1+)

I concluded that Tidal sounded better but wasn't. More expensive with more catalogue gaps meant that, for a more casual listening experience as my streaming is, the extra cost was not worthwhile.

I'm with Qobuz, using their android app and steam through chromecast audio.
I find it just perfect.

The sound quality at 320kbps was better than Spotify and Tidal, at least at the time when I did my comparison.
I've since upgraded to their lossless service, although the difference is not great, once you know that difference, you've just got to have it.

There is no system which exposes the difference between lossless and 320 kbps.

It is likely that there is some correlation between believing that you can hear a difference and spending lots of money on your hifi. There is no correlation between spending lots of money on your hifi and actually being able to hear differences. This has been demonstrated time and time again.
http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/high-bitrate-mp3-internet-blind-test_3422.html

Wrong, which is why I used Foobar2000's ABX plugin, and some STAX headphones, where I could reliably tell between FLAC and 320kbps mp3. IIRC I was using Dead Can Dance tracks...

Just because most people don't have a system resolving enough to tell the differences, or perhaps aren't experienced critical listeners in this context (Archimago's test base) doesn't mean that there aren't differences.

...I will concede that the differences are slight; FLAC has a touch more 'air' at the top end.

Qobuz here also, found it excellent the 44.1/16 streams I was using sounded great, the 96/24 streams from my Qobuz library sounded good too, I streamed those via iPhone into my car HiFi, worked a treat, didn't dent my data allowance too badly either.

Now have USB SSD in car now though :)

I find Spotify fine for background music or checking something out before I commit to buying it. The rare occassion I get to sit down and listen it's always to vinyl.

Cheers BB

Wrong, which is why I used Foobar2000's ABX plugin, and some STAX headphones, where I could reliably tell between FLAC and 320kbps mp3. IIRC I was using Dead Can Dance tracks...

Just because most people don't have a system resolving enough to tell the differences, or perhaps aren't experienced critical listeners in this context (Archimago's test base) doesn't mean that there aren't differences.

...I will concede that the differences are slight; FLAC has a touch more 'air' at the top end.
There do exist killer samples. Also, and perhaps most annoyingly there are loads of people who claim to be able to distinguish between things when they actually can't. That tends to spoil things for the genuinely golden-eared liked yourself.

I recommend posting your results on Hydrogen Audio where they will be delighted to learn from your experience in refining the codecs.

There do exist killer samples. Also, and perhaps most annoyingly there are loads of people who claim to be able to distinguish between things when they actually can't. That tends to spoil things for the genuinely golden-eared liked yourself.

I recommend posting your results on Hydrogen Audio where they will be delighted to learn from your experience in refining the codecs.

I don't think it was because of golden ears, more out of doing quite a bit of testing, comparing files sighted, and then doing ABX tests with some exceptional HiFi. There is not anything available IMHO that offers the transparency and 'air' of STAX gear, so these were good to test with. Am not sure if I could do the same on my Sony MDR-V6 & a laptop (vs. main system & STAX), but haven't tried.

On my Linn system the difference between Tidal and Spotify is like listening with a blanket over the speakers (Spotify) or not (Tidal). Listening through my Bose Bluetooth speaker makes no difference which service I use.

Bill.

On my Linn system the difference between Tidal and Spotify is like listening with a blanket over the speakers (Spotify) or not (Tidal). Listening through my Bose Bluetooth speaker makes no difference which service I use.

Bill.

Are you comparing tidal with 320kbps Spotify premium?

don't think I will bother then - thanks

Roon is a lot more than that. You can use with it with Tidal, iTunes Music, and files stored on NAS or elsewhere. It's a really great interface and the cost per year is nominal for what you get.
As to your original question I dumped Spotify awhile ago for Apple Music. I never liked the Spotify interface and 320k Ogg is not great quality. With Apple Music I get streaming and all my years of iTunes music in one interface.
I also pay for Pandora and Tidal. I like Tidal a lot especially the MQA titles but you need an MQA DAC for that.
I don't know how it is in the UK but in the US I pay alsmot half price for Tidal because I am a veteran.

320K OGG in Spotify isn't very good. It's a poor quality codec that I assume Spotify uses because its free. Apple Music AAC and especially Mastered for iTunes is better and Tidal is much better.

There is no system which exposes the difference between lossless and 320 kbps.

It is likely that there is some correlation between believing that you can hear a difference and spending lots of money on your hifi. There is no correlation between spending lots of money on your hifi and actually being able to hear differences. This has been demonstrated time and time again.
http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/high-bitrate-mp3-internet-blind-test_3422.html

Incorrect and you should try using a source other than that guy who reaches his conclusions first then jiggers the results to meet them.
I've done several listening tests like the one at NPR and have no issues distinguishing the differences every time.
I get that some people need to believe its all a scam somehow but reality is more complicated.

I've got both Spotify (mainly used in the car or by my daughter) and Qobuz, through a good system, Qobuz generally spanks Spotify. What I have found, is that sometimes there is more than one version of an album on Qobuz and they don't sound the same. One of the most obvious examples I've come across is on Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now album, one version sounds truly rough and the other is great.

advertisement

Back