advertisement

Speaker identification (JR 149?)

xtal_recorder

Evening, everyone.

Does anyone know what this speaker might be?

From the logo on the bottom they are Rogers but are they 149?

I find it odd that the foam is not the full length of the speaker.

It's my friends late fathers and he's asked if I was interested (the father was a bit of a tinkerer). I of course said yes...

Any ideas?

Cheers

Looks like a series 1 JR149, open the base up and take a photo of the XO we will be able to tell you for certain, or even just remove the foam.

The foam has decayed, chances are it will come off in sticky chunks. It’s definitely a Mk1 JR149 though. New foams are (usually) available.

PS The picture is actually rather interesting from a geeky JR149-spotter perspective as it proves the early-style grille with the bevelled area at the top and bottom made it into the gold-logo era.

Thanks, both.

I'll grab them tomorrow and report back. So the foam has decayed and shrunk in size I guess? Looks like there are cheap replacements available as you said @Tony L

I've never heard a pair.

I wonder what other mysteries are lurking there. Should be an interesting expedition.

Excellent. They are really excellent little speakers within their performance envelope. Better than LS3/5As in some ways and certainly in the same class. There’s a huge thread somewhere as my pair put up a bit of a fight!

Working perfectly and sounding great (to my untrained ear).

Refoam and done? Surely it can't be that easy...
Could be. My last pair were pretty much the same; unused in a spare room for many years protected by being placed inside some ugly/ornate rectangular enclosures. Other than new foam grilles and setting the hf back to centre (they were set to max) they sounded fab so I felt no need to do anything else. Eventually sold them to someone on here when I launched into a thinning out of kit, but I wish I'd kept hold of them.

Excellent, they look in really nice condition. The metal bases are a great indicator, they are usually scratched and scuffed up horribly. I waited literally years for a pair that weren't!

Manged to get the old gunk of the base and they've cleaned up really well:

I've got some felt pads which should hopefully keep them that way.

With regards to the felt, is there anywhere I can purchase directly or is it only through eBay?

Best

Manged to get the old gunk of the base and they've cleaned up really well:

I've got some felt pads which should hopefully keep them that way.

With regards to the felt, is there anywhere I can purchase directly or is it only through eBay?

Best
Amazon will have them....

advertisement

Back