advertisement

Speaker Cable Recommendations?

johnacurtis

pfm Member
Hi
I have Roksan Caspian M2 amp and CD player, Rega P6 TT and Wilson Benesch Arcs. I currently use Chord Chorus Reference I/C and Chameleon vee 3 I/C, with a Tellurium Q Black speaker cable. I like the sound! I did try Chord a Epic Super twin speaker cable back along and did like the forward sound for guitars etc, but overall, the TQ won as it had a smoother presentation! However, I now wonder if there is a cable that would give me the excitement of the chord with the separation it also had, but with the smoothness I also want! Big ask! They need to be a 6 m pair, so nothing too outrageously priced! I could also look at a swap I guess!

I've also got TQ black and it's by far the best I've tried so far. It's also the most expensive I've tried so not sure if the list of what I had is going to help as they were all quite cheap:

QED silver anniversary XT
Audioquest flx-slip 14/4

I used to have chord chameleon plus interconnects but recently switched to mogami 2549 and found those to be much better and really complemented the TQ black, their speaker cable gets good reviews as well

Try Van Damme 6mm blue stuff and get some copper in there.

Also beat me to it. I'm using the Van Damme 4mm hi fi cable which is absurdly cheap and is so good it just disappears as a consideration. Nothing is out of place and it is not specially "voiced" in any direction. I've used cables costing literally thousands over the years, and this stuff really is the best as well as the cheapest.

I've recently bought some V-D 2.5mm and it's great - not going to fall into the hyperbole trap and say it's the greatest speaker cable ever made, but for the money, what's not to like? A pair made up by Mark Grant (5m one side, 3m the other) for less than 50 quid. I'm a very happy chappy.

Talk 3 is also excellent - perhaps more bite than the V-D - and I'd certainly recommend.

1313A_Page_1_zps5b1fd4c6.jpg

1313A_Page_2_zpse7ca25f0.jpg

As you already have TelluriumQ speaker cable, have you tried the matching IC? I believe TQdealers will let you home dem one (well mine did anyway) before parting with your hard earned £££. I prefer the TQ range to anything I've heard from Chord.
Any 6m runs of speaker cable which outperforms TQblack will likely cost big bucks, unless you find that the "any old cable will do" believers are right, in which case you've just saved a whole lot to spend on more music.
Matt.

Yes, I'm doubtful to "downgrade" to VD blue! When I listened to the TQ black at £47m compared to the chord epic super twin at £90m, it was a big difference, both sounding really good, but although the chord had slightly more pace and separation, it was a little too clear at the higher end whereas the TQ was deeper but controlled bass and sweeter overall, so kept the TQ! At times, though, I would just like a bit more "bite"!

johnacurtis:- i purchased 15m of Chord Epic Supertwin recently for my Totem Forests......brilliant stuff and the sound is "epic" :)

Yes, I'm doubtful to "downgrade" to VD blue! When I listened to the TQ black at £47m compared to the chord epic super twin at £90m, it was a big difference, both sounding really good, but although the chord had slightly more pace and separation, it was a little too clear at the higher end whereas the TQ was deeper but controlled bass and sweeter overall, so kept the TQ! At times, though, I would just like a bit more "bite"!

Hi
I have Roksan Caspian M2 amp and CD player, Rega P6 TT and Wilson Benesch Arcs. I currently use Chord Chorus Reference I/C and Chameleon vee 3 I/C, with a Tellurium Q Black speaker cable. I like the sound! I did try Chord a Epic Super twin speaker cable back along and did like the forward sound for guitars etc, but overall, the TQ won as it had a smoother presentation! However, I now wonder if there is a cable that would give me the excitement of the chord with the separation it also had, but with the smoothness I also want! Big ask! They need to be a 6 m pair, so nothing too outrageously priced! I could also look at a swap I guess!

Hi John,

If you can wait a couple of weeks you're welcome to try our "Silver Mogwai" speakers cables (3 different variances), which are being made-up for a photo shoot prior to their formal launch.

One customer recently commented versus a very well known brand:-
"Chalk and cheese on speaker cable. New are more open, bigger sound stage, instrument definition/separation far better (guitar and hi hats especially). Base is now far more punchy and defined. Treble and mids are too but not to same extent of the base. Cable looks and feels more 'the job' as well."

Are you speakers single or bi-wired?

Regards,
Peter

I think the important order should be : Power - Room treatment-Power cord-interconnects-spk cable.

What I use now is Ecosse the. Master Reference XLR + SMS2.4,which does a good job.
I also used to make Ecosse ms2.3 to be in my sys, it is really a bargain.
So I believe Ecosse ms2.4 is also a good choice for it is far cheaper than SMS2.4 and not very far above ms2.3.

By the way, my current sys is as follow
Mojo Audio Mac mini server + Accuphase DP 550>Luxman LX550 A II>Elac 310CE

QED 79 strand. It certainly works between my Audiolab and Harbeths.

I used some Talk 3 cable previously and changed to something more flexible so I could pull my speakers out into the room.

I honestly could not tell any difference between the two cables...

IMO there is no comparison between the 79 strand and my TQ! Leave you to guess which one I prefer! Perhaps you need to audition for yourself?

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom