advertisement

Speaker/Amp Refresh Advice

Chip93

Hi all,

I'm looking to refresh my 8 year old setup. Unfortunately, I only have the money to replace one component. I'm trying to determine what would be the best component to upgrade, or alternatively whether I should leave as is for now.

Current equipment (2.1):
  • L/R PMC DB1+
  • Exposure 2010 Integrated Amp
  • BK XXLS400-DF
Potential equipment (2.1):
  • PMC Prodigy 1/5
  • Lyngdorf TDAi-1120
  • BK XXLS400-DF
Main decision point is whether to replace the amp or speakers.

I haven't ever (knowingly) heard speakers, in a home listening environment, that are considered more premium than the PMC DB1+'s, and therefore can't conceptualise how much of an upgrade (or not) the Prodigy's might be. As I have a sub, I'm thinking the 1's might be better bang for my buck. The speakers will also be placed near enough directly against a wall, so a little concerned with potential boominess from the 5's. However, I'd be interested to know if anyone has an opinion on how much better the 1's may be than the older/lesser DB1+. I use the speakers for both music and general film/tv usage. There's also the consideration of whether there would be no point in the Prodigy's with my existing amp (especially if I can't upgrade in the near future).

The amp will give me much better connectivity to both my TV and direct connect for music streaming services, so very much a QOL improvement. However, I'm also wondering whether the amp may improve my existing DB1+'s and with Room Perfect room correction software built in that could improve SQ as well.

Any opinions are welcome! Thank you.

The Prodigy's do seem to be getting good reviews, but how much different are they to the DB1's would be the question.

Also FYI, I'm about to list a 1120 for sale. It's a brilliant amp, and I'm only selling as I've upgraded to a 3400.

The Prodigy's do seem to be getting good reviews, but how much different are they to the DB1's would be the question.

Also FYI, I'm about to list a 1120 for sale. It's a brilliant amp, and I'm only selling as I've upgraded to a 3400.
Thanks, how much are you looking for? One thing I need to check is compatibility with my BK sub. I'm currently using the high level input which is deemed to give the best sound. However, I've got that hooked up to the spare L/R channels on the Exposure. I'm assuming I'll need to use the low level input given the limited channels on 1120 but will probably drop BK an email to check all is well.

And what is the source currently? That might be the way to go..

The source is my LG OLED tv which really isn't ideal. I'm running it through a cheap FIIO dac so I can convert to optical. I'm then stuck with using the tv apps for music which isn't going to give me anywhere near optimal quality. Moving direct via HDMI arc I imagine would yield better results.
That's why I'm hoping direct connect on the 1120 will allow me to quickly switch between tv use and direct connect for music.

Thanks, how much are you looking for? One thing I need to check is compatibility with my BK sub. I'm currently using the high level input which is deemed to give the best sound. However, I've got that hooked up to the spare L/R channels on the Exposure. I'm assuming I'll need to use the low level input given the limited channels on 1120 but will probably drop BK an email to check all is well.
I'm sure "high level input which is deemed to give the best sound" is a myth created by REL who originally promoted this method. At least, that's what I have read online, so it must be true! ;)

Lowest would be £1400 BACS (add 4% for PayPal G&S) excluding insured shipping. Feel free to DM me if you so wish.

Ok, I get that logic, had experience of running 1120 in my system and it’s got not bad at all digital section which combined with room correction might give what you’re looking for. However, amplifier-wise it will not be a step forward vs Exposure

I'm sure "high level input which is deemed to give the best sound" is a myth created by REL who originally promoted this method. At least, that's what I have read online, so it must be true! ;)

Lowest would be £1400 BACS (add 4% for PayPal G&S) excluding insured shipping. Feel free to DM me if you so wish.
The REL high level gig was because popular UK 2 channel amps back in the day rarely had pre outs and never dedicated sub outs for an RCA type cable.

Some folk say they prefer the high level and that it sounds better, personally never found a difference.

The source is my LG OLED tv which really isn't ideal. I'm running it through a cheap FIIO dac so I can convert to optical. I'm then stuck with using the tv apps for music which isn't going to give me anywhere near optimal quality. Moving direct via HDMI arc I imagine would yield better results.
That's why I'm hoping direct connect on the 1120 will allow me to quickly switch between tv use and direct connect for music.
I think the 1120 would be a great option for you and will improve several areas of your system in one go. Lyngdorf RoomPerfect is an excellent system plus you’ll get the benefit of a proper streamer/dac and app, hdmi in and if you want later on a turntable can be added. £1400 is a good price.

Connect the left analogue out to the BK sub using a phono rca to rca. To use high level connections with modern amps (Class D) needs a specific cabling up where you use both the high level cable (red and yelow, leave black disconnected) and a phono rca to rca cable to act as a ground. Suggest you check with both Lyngdorf and BK support for peace of mind.

Info at REL:

I think the 1120 would be a great option for you and will improve several areas of your system in one go. Lyngdorf RoomPerfect is an excellent system plus you’ll get the benefit of a proper streamer/dac and app, hdmi in and if you want later on a turntable can be added. £1400 is a good price.

Connect the left analogue out to the BK sub using a phono rca to rca. To use high level connections with modern amps (Class D) needs a specific cabling up where you use both the high level cable (red and yelow, leave black disconnected) and a phono rca to rca cable to act as a ground. Suggest you check with both Lyngdorf and BK support for peace of mind.
Thank you for the information, much appreciated

advertisement

Back