advertisement

Spa for my Ma

The Captain

~~~~~~~~~~
Hi chaps,

I'd like to give my elderly Ma a special birthday Spa whatnot. But I don't know the score with any of it. Could anyone advise.

She lives in Broadway, Worcs & 84 years old soon. Physically fairly good, but exhausted from carer duties for 2 oldies, my Dad & a 95 yr old friend too.. she needs a break, & I think a right pampering's in order. I'm not sure if her age rules out any Spa shenanigans.

It's all a total unknown to me. Day things? I guess they're generally not overnight affairs; maybe your wives, or even your own Ma might have some ideas.

Thanks in advance if so, Capt

I think the basic premise is you go for a day, have access to a sauna and pool and then chose treatments (manicure, pedicure, facial etc) or have a massage, of which there are different types I believe. Sparkling wine optional I’ve heard.

Sounds like your Mum needs a rest.

Cheers BB

I think the basic premise is you go for a day, have access to a sauna and pool and then chose treatments (manicure, pedicure, facial etc) or have a massage, of which there are different types I believe. Sparkling wine optional I’ve heard.

Cheers BB

many include overnight, nice dinner etc... time it carefully many can be over run with hen parties.

many spa days etc are in hotels. You typically book a package, and addon treatments - you might be able to buy vouchers at some places so the recipients can choose the treatments.

A day here will be £300+ ish https://www.dormyhouse.co.uk/spa/

will she travel? or is local necessary? do you know if she enjoys massage or what treatments she likes?

many include overnight, nice dinner etc... time it carefully many can be over run with hen parties.

many spa days etc are in hotels. You typically book a package, and addon treatments - you might be able to buy vouchers at some places so the recipients can choose the treatments.

will she travel? or is local necessary? do you know if she enjoys massage or what treatments she likes?

Cheers BB

Great start BB, cheers for that ideal post #2. I don't think she's ever been in a sauna! I know I don't like them myself, I'm no fan of sweating.

Kind thought- appreciated. Capt

Morning g&t, well I wasn't expecting you to help.. so thanks for this.

£300 for a day?! JesusH that rules out Dormy House then. Strewth alive.

I was thinking £150 max. I don't know what she enjoys, I only know her going once in her life to such a place, in the 80's. If she went into a sauna I'd worry she'd come out shrivelled up like a prune. She's quite small framed.

The dead cert though, surely, would be 1) massage, 2) facial numnums, 3) warm relaxing swim, 4) hair summat or other, 5) pampered served tea?

Thanks, Capt

As a connoisseur of all things hot, wet and steamy, I can highly reccomend the Greenway near Cheltenham. Fabulous hotel, restaurant and spa. And quite near your Ma.

As a connoisseur of all things hot, wet and steamy, I can highly reccomend the Greenway near Cheltenham. Fabulous hotel, restaurant and spa. And quite near your Ma.

Hi fox.. great suggestion, I've dived in to the website. Does seem pricey for perhaps not -that- much for £135.. but of course it's prime cotswolds spot. Has your wife perhaps ever had a half day there-?

Maybe if I drifted twds Malvern, away from "Park Lane" real estate, could be better value.

Grateful for help chaps, I'm learning a few things already. Capt

Hi fox.. great suggestion, I've dived in to the website. Does seem pricey for perhaps not -that- much for £135.. but of course it's prime cotswolds spot. Has your wife perhaps ever had a half day there-?

Maybe if I drifted twds Malvern, away from "Park Lane" real estate, could be better value.

Grateful for help chaps, I'm learning a few things already. Capt
Once you start looking at treatments and massage, a few hours can get very expensive outside one of the health club chains.

We go together, arrive at lunch and overnight - it has a fabulous restaurant - and we don't really go in for the treatments or massage. It's a fabulous spot for walks, as well.

A nice idea, but I think more indefinite respite might be in order. An 84 year old - no matter how fit, healthy and willing - caring for two elderly people is not sustainable.

A nice idea, but I think more indefinite respite might be in order. An 84 year old - no matter how fit, healthy and willing - caring for two elderly people is not sustainable.

That's another kind post- thanks ken..

She is in the mindset that it's simply her calling in life, to care for our two dearest oldies. She even lies awake at night watching over my Dad, then later drives over to check up/ care for our 95 yr old family friend (she's next of kin for, too). I worry alot about her seeing her so exhausted.. but she's adamant, & obdurate, in her dedication regardless of herself.

Appreciated- Capt

Does she have a friend she can also invite? Might be more fun with someone to have a natter with.

Lovely idea btw.

Exactly my idea innitial Idea: I guess yes, she has a good friend 2 doors up, 83 too, so a pair of proper oldies (are they a bit old for spa's I wonder-? I don't know).

I had thought of buying a Spa day for both of them.. naiively thinking £100 each possibly-?

Gulping at the prices so far just for Ma, I don't see that's feasible with me being on a low income.

I'll do some emailing of Malvern place tmrw, or call. Lay it on thick. See if they can do summink for me.

Capt

advertisement

Back