advertisement

Sources in order of preference.

I have always preferred listening to vinyl. Never got into CD hardware and software and grateful I didn’t. I acquired a couple Sonos Amps back when they came out and found myself really enjoying streaming from Spotify. There’s just so much great music out there and it’s impossible to own it all on physical media. I’m getting older and I have huge vinyl collection as it is. I still do purchase vinyl, much of it discovered via Spotify AI after listening to an album. Both sources to me sound great and I can listen to either for hours on end.

Internet radio (Naim, Radio Paradise)
Spotify

With these sources I don't have to bother about cables and such 🤭

Internet radio (Naim, Radio Paradise)
Spotify

With these sources I don't have to bother about cables and such 🤭
The amazing advance of hifi technology inasmuch as both/either speakers or headphones receive the signal remotely and are utterly devoid of cabling; or have I got my wires crossed? :) Must admit that I didn't know Naim had a music service, though; just their own or across the board?

Whichever format gets me closest to the original master for the particular music performance.

The amazing advance of hifi technology inasmuch as both/either speakers or headphones receive the signal remotely and are utterly devoid of cabling; or have I got my wires crossed? :) Must admit that I didn't know Naim had a music service, though; just their own or across the board?
It's all 320kbit/s, so it's not high end anyways ☺️

Naim have various radio stations. Perfect for background listening!

1 CDs
2 records (I put this nº2 but I grew up with records, I bought my CD first player in 1988)
3 FM + same radios online + a lot of BBC Sounds
4 Spotify
In all honesty mainly Spotify these days, for casual or in-car listening or dancing, or playing music

In terms of perceived quality, records, then CDs, closely followed by Tidal streams, and then streamed radio.

In terms of how often each are used, Tidal and streamed radio about even, followed by vinyl, quite some way back, as I'm only very occasionally buying new albums, and then CDs.

Part of it is I love music shopping, the randomness of the £1-2 bins under the racks of good second hand shops etc. That’s my idea of a good day out.
Same! I just like hunting for old records and playing old records.

We all have our vices and it's cheaper than fast women and loose cars.

I’m loving the answers.
Very interesting responses.
I wonder how much is perceived , I’ll fight to my last breath that my TT trumps everything else, but it may be an emotional connection.
It may also be down to quality of the source hardware, perhaps !

It's all about 'why am I listening'
Pure quality and emotion? Vinyl.
Better quality but a tad cool? CD
= to the above
The best streaming services
last but fun, low Q streaming played at 100 Db with wine.
and lots of very bad dancing) :)

In my case, it's:
  1. Long Playing records on LP12
  2. Compact Discs on Densen B-440XS
  3. Tidal stream on Bluesound Node 2i
  4. Compact Cassettes on Nakamichi 1.5

Favorite source?
Two real contenders since I have neither radio nor Tidal/Qobuz in the hifi:

Very poor second - SME 20/2a with AT 33PTG into Moon 810LP with a record collection that I've nearly finished pruning (5 linear metres when I'm finished)

definite first for both sound and convenience - dCS Rossini and clock with nearly 5800 albums (anything from a single to 17CDs per album) on the NAS

CDs get ripped but not played as a physical format although I still have about 24 linear metres of the things and something to play them on.

Vinyl LPs
Qobuz and ripped files (sound the same), except high res can be noticeably better mix sometimes.
no CDs for 10 years.
no radio
no tapes

Live music of course, BUT if I have to accept second best, then it's as follows:

1) 15 IPS 1/4 inch Reel to Reel tape
2) Vinyl
3) CD
4) Radio

advertisement

Back