advertisement

Sony XA 777ES CD player

I recently heard a shootout between a top end Playback Design CD Player and a recent Marantz SA10, and the Marantz won hands down in everyone's opinion. I wonder how, with CD players improving so rapidly even now, the Sonys command the sort of respect they do.

I imagine it's because, as one of pioneers of the CD format, Sony has probably spent more on R&D than both companies mentioned in your 'shootout' combined. Sony's following has been earned by their expirience , it's a shame that many of their truly 'high-end' products weren't released outside of Japan, as there wasn't/isn't a big enough market to make it worth while :(

I imagine it's because, as one of pioneers of the CD format, Sony has probably spent more on R&D than both companies mentioned in your 'shootout' combined. Sony's following has been earned by their expirience , it's a shame that many of their truly 'high-end' products weren't released outside of Japan, as there wasn't/isn't a big enough market to make it worth while :(

What I find so interesting is the gulf between the Sony & the Naim CD players.
I never did get the 'Naim thing' like many here do.

Now I know why.
The Sony makes music the way I like it.
For many here 'The Naim Way' is the 'The Only Way.'

No problem for me...

What other 'older' CD players do Forum members
recommend?

Martyn
Miles.

I run a Naim CDS, the original flagship from Naim, just rebuilt and serviced by Witch Hat Audio. It's a brilliant machine and one of the very best CD players I have heard at any price.

The Naim CDi is the integrated version of the same machine, also a brilliant player.

What I find so interesting is the gulf between the Sony & the Naim CD players.
I never did get the 'Naim thing' like many here do.

Now I know why.
The Sony makes music the way I like it.
For many here 'The Naim Way' is the 'The Only Way.'

No problem for me...

I was truly shocked by how much better the CDP338ESD was compared to an ARCAM Delta 70.3. I've never heard a NAIM CD player but having moved on from the NAIM 'sound' I'm not sure I would prefer one to the SONY.

The Cambridge Audio CXC looks interesting.

^^^Those 16 bit Naim players have such an analogue sound, perfect when switching between ones LP12. :)

Distorted and coloured? :)

NAIM CDi here - whilst I admit the upper frequencies are sometimes not as I would ideally like ( referenced against NAIM CDS2 ), the bass is superb and it has much more life about it than the CDS2.

I also enjoyed the old MicroMega players I have used - but the serviceability is too poor to recommend.

Simon

I run a Naim CDS, the original flagship from Naim, just rebuilt and serviced by Witch Hat Audio. It's a brilliant machine and one of the very best CD players I have heard at any price.

The Naim CDi is the integrated version of the same machine, also a brilliant player.

I obtained a Naim CDX recently, for a friend. He loves it.

I have been using it for about a week now, using my Quad 34/303 and Falcon Acoustics LS3/5as.
I think the combination excels on female vocals.
Mary Black is a good example.
I will try Harbeth P3s next.

Martyn Miles

I thought the Falcons were good with the Sony, but the P3-ESRs put the whole system in another
league.

advertisement

Back