advertisement

Sonneteer amps

Unfortunately they stopped (making amps) about 9/10 years ago. (if memory serves me well the Alabaster was offered a few years longer) I think I'd buy a Sonneteer Campion, in the blink of an eye if they were still made. Great sound, great build, timeless design! In short superb VFM. :)

There's an Alabaster on the Wam at a decent price that is simply not selling. If I was in the market I'd be struggling not to buy that tbh. As far as I know they are still in business and able to support old products but just not making new amps anymore? The website is certainly still up and running and selling their phono stage and headphone thingy

https://www.sonneteer.com/

I almost bought myself a mint Campion (old version, without the internal phonostage) a few months ago. The seller happened to be the repair mechanic for the first Sonneteer dealer in Holland.
This Campion was as good as new, and completely serviced/recapped. Asking price was €900,- though. Because I just had some financial misfortune I decided not to go for it.

It's very sad that they are not making amps anymore. It seemed like a labour of love for Remo and Haider and I'd really like to see them bringing products to the market again. Both the Alabaster and the Orton are fabulous in their own ways. I always felt that if the Alabaster had a remote, they'd not be able to make them fast enough to keep up with demand.

Great guys that built wonderful amps. I think the last one on offer was the Alabaster with phono stage. I just bought an Exposure…had that Alabaster still been available, I would have opted for that. I had an older Campion and Alabaster back in the day.

Not sure, but I think the latest was the Orton.

Thats difficult to determine.
For me Orton and Bronté looks like a later design but who knows ?

There could be many reasons but is it really 10 years ago they stopped amp manufacture ?

As far as I know the Campion was Sonneteers first amp, followed by the Alabaster. I remember that the Sonneteer dealer I regularly visited in the mid/late 90's wasn't very keen on the the then new Bronte amp. If memory serves me well the Orton came after the Bronte, but looking back I think it was (only) the Alabaster (with superb built-in phonostage) that was made/offered as their latest amp.

They stopped making/offering the Campion about 10 years ago. (I bought one of their latest around 2013...should've kept it!) The Alabaster was still mentionened and available on the website at that time. (for a few years)

I have an old model Sonneteer Alabaster which is down in one channel and in need of repair if anyone is interested. It replaced a Lavardin IT and there was very little in it.
I have gone down the tube route now.
Not sure what the company is up to now but will contact them.

advertisement

Back