advertisement

Solid state Quads with Yamaha NS-1000M?

If you need to scratch that QUAD itch, I think that you'd be better advised to go for a 34/606 to fire up your Yamahas.

The famous old amplifier shoot-out used these with bridged IIs, a 303 and a 405.
It all seemed to work to the satisfaction of those listening and nothing blew up.

If you want to play loud in a decent sized room then I'd agree with Graham in going for a 606, though a 405-2 would also be fine.

Wasn't it Wireless World?

In any event, the listening panel found no statistical difference between three different QUAD valve and solid state models.

It's pretty easy to get a Quad II or 303, or for that matter even a 405 to run out of puff when pushed, so when they say the test was level matched I suspect it was level matched fairly quietly!

It's pretty easy to get a Quad II or 303, or for that matter even a 405 to run out of puff when pushed, so when they say the test was level matched I suspect it was level matched fairly quietly!

Yes quite likely, though they used some weird bridging arrangement on the IIs.
IIRC the 1000 is quite sensitive - might even be up around 90dB?

I tried both a Quad 606 mk2 and 405-2 with my NS1000's. Tbh, I found the 405 to be the more pleasant of the two. I found the 606 to be a little more clumsy in its delivery, the 405 was more delicate and agile. The 606 mk1 might actually be a better bet.

Both will be fine if not playing loud, loud though and they will go into clipping.

Wasn't it Wireless World?

In any event, the listening panel found no statistical difference between three different QUAD valve and solid state models.

Could be Graham, I know that HFN and Quad also published the results. I think our file is the Quad released flyer.

I tried both a Quad 606 mk2 and 405-2 with my NS1000's. Tbh, I found the 405 to be the more pleasant of the two. I found the 606 to be a little more clumsy in its delivery, the 405 was more delicate and agile. The 606 mk1 might actually be a better bet.

<fingers in ears>

lalalalalalala...... I'm not listening.....:D

Quick question - assuming it's untouched would a grey/RCA 34/405-2 benefit from a service?

Will Quad still service these amps? Can anyone give me an idea how much they'd be likely to charge?

Thanks.

The 405-2 very likely would. All are more than 10 years old and run very warm even when doing nothing. 405s of that vintage should however still be functioning well - they aren't that old.

The RCA 34 should be fine - replacing the PSU caps (small and inexpensive) won't do it any harm though.

In both cases replacement of electrolytic caps will bring the units back to full factory spec. Cost for the 405 in terms of parts is about £60-70. Under £20 for the 34.
When servicing the 405 us good quality 15kuf reservoir caps in place of the 10k fitted.
Quad do still service them but no ides on cost.

I've done about a dozen of these for people, and 306s so shout if you need help.

Excellent - thanks Robert that's exactly what I was looking for.

If I decide to go the Quad route I'm planning on waiting until some clean boxed examples turn up then having them serviced to factory spec.

There seem to be a number of firms offering upgrades but I'd rather have them as a Quad intended :)

Excellent - thanks Robert that's exactly what I was looking for.

If I decide to go the Quad route I'm planning on waiting until some clean boxed examples turn up then having them serviced to factory spec.

There seem to be a number of firms offering upgrades but I'd rather have them as a Quad intended :)

The Quad current dumping units are unusual in that just a cap swap gets them back to spec. No dc voltages to adjust, no offsets to worry about and no drifting quiescent current.

Quit a lot of the advertised mods for these amps aren't necessary. Sure you can fit fancy resistors and make everything within 1% tolerance, or use nice shiny binding posts but these things either do nothing or are largely cosmetic.
One of the reasons current dumping and feedforward were introduced was to ensure that the amp would perform to specification regardless of component tolerance, within reason which is generally considered to be around 10% in most areas of the circuit.

If you want them serviced and don't fancy sending them to Quad I'll happily sort them out for the cost of parts and a beer.

advertisement

Back