advertisement

So, has anyone built a tonearm and how did you get on?

Johnny's Audio Origami PU7 started out life as a back room homer and is well regarded as a giant killer after being universally well reviewed by all who have seen/heard it.
I've met J7 a few times now and seen some of the early proto's and I'm sure J7 will admit himself that they were definately a work in progress. The finished articles now look stunning though.

The hand built mega buck Schroeder's don't actually look all that complicated, especially when put next to something like a SME V

If you have the time, effort and Idea's to try something I'd go fot it. I persoanlly think there is actually a lot less 'magic' in this Hi-Fi game than some manufacturers would have us all believe...

I like that idea of a single headshell fixing bolt on that Schroeder clone and the Clearaudio tonearm. It looks like a nice simple way to fix a cart and fine tune it.

It's a nightmare in practice. Get just one parameter not absolutely right and you'll have to loosen the screw. The next time you tighten it, you can be sure that another parameter will be slightly off. No dealer likes to sell these arms as they are just too fiddly and time-consuming to set up.

Personally, no matter how good a Schröder sounds - and it does sound extremely good - I wouldn't get one because I just hate products where you have to spend ages to dial them in.

Hello Markus,
If you loosen the screw(on a reference or DPS arm) and retighten it, you'd only have to adjust for Zenith again. Not overhang, nor azimuth or tracking force will be affected.

With the No. 2 and the Clearaudio Unify(their headshell is a copy), both overhang, zenith and, to a small degree, VTF need to be checked at the same time, true for any headshell with slots and a touch of "slack"(in regards to the diameter of the cartridge screws).

Personally I know quite a few dealers who find my arms easy to set up. But which dealer sets up the arm for his customers any more. Not many...

All the best,

Frank Schröder

Personally I know quite a few dealers who find my arms easy to set up. But which dealer sets up the arm for his customers any more. Not many..

Hi Frank

Andy Craig, the UK DPS guy, sets up arms for his customers. He set up my Schroder on a DPS even though I did not buy the arm from him. Excellent service, and your arm sounds superb with a Lyra Dorian cartridge in it.

Regards
Mark

advertisement

Back