advertisement

Small speakers , Lyngdorf 1120 and a few thoughts !

Tazio

Aground Again !
Hello All
Finally after much debate I am going to sort my house out , unfortunately being a Architect / Builder that means I am on builder time which means I like to think and budget for a certain time scale and budget ! but know if i think it will take 1 year rest assured it will take 2.
Unfortunately this means I have had to pack my main system up ..Valve amp ,LP12 ect and retreat to my small study which has my smaller kit in , consisting of a Rega P3 , Lyngdorf 1120 and Dynaudio M10 speakers with Dynaudio stand 10 stands , this system will now become my main source for music .
Hence the purchase of the 1120 because the room is small so an all in one takes up less space and replaces my icon audio stereo 40 + Streamer . And of course I wanted to try out a Lyngdorf to see if all the fuss as regards RP was justified!
I would like to stress that this of course is simple the experience of someone who enjoys good music.
Anyway the 1120 arrived I hooked it up not knowing what to expect and the sound was pretty good using tidal connect …the speakers were in the classic dyna position of away from the wall and toed in , this was without using RP … I then decided to setup the mic and test RP I went through the setup and got to 98% after 6 mic placements , the sound definitely improved with RP , tighter bass and slightly smoother delivery . The next experiment was to place the speakers up against the wall , with rear ports I allowed 8cm as opposed to Lyngdorfs recommended 5cm so this was pretty much the way Lyngdorf recommends speaker placement as regards making the best use of RP… I did another focus point and again 6 radom mic positions so managed 98% again , first test was in bypass mode so no RP , as expected much more bass but quite uncontrolled and quite a bit of bass bloom . The revelation was switching over to RP suddenly the bass tightened right up and the emits sounded better than they ever had with the mid range fully in tacked and a sweet treble, but what was really good was the wonderful controlled bass !.
This was all with Tidal connect !. It was then time to hook up the P3 as expected the onboard Phonostage was perfectly useable but I was used to sounding better and this sounded thin and light . But this lead to the secound revelation I am aware that the analog signal is converted to digital then back to analog as it leaves the amp to the speakers so was not expecting much even hooking up my Tube 2 semi valve phono stage ! but I was in for a surprise as the transformation with my phono stage was huge in fact I thought the 1120 actually sounded as good as the stereo 40 , and Tube 2 phonostage … it simple sounded like vinyl.
I really am knocked out by this sweet little unit , well built , typical scandi style… and with RP sounds wonderful … in fact so much so that once the house is sorted I am going to try a Lyngdorf 3400 as the space will be considerably bigger , and that may allow me to finally hugely reduce the box count .
As regards the immediate future though as I will be using this small system and judging by the 1120 performance I have decided to upgrade my P3 with exact …to a P6 Aria , and upgrade my Dynaudio emit M10 speakers , the room is very small 2.3m x 4.0m so it can only accommodate small stand mount speakers .
the short list is the Dynaudio evoke 10 , and the Dali minuet SE .
If anyone has experience of these speakers that would be great or indeed any other recommendations?.

...and upgrade my Dynaudio emit M10 speakers , the room is very small 2.3m x 4.0m so it can only accommodate small stand mount speakers .

With your new small listening room, I recommend that you find yourself some well-regarded SEALED BOX speakers that do NOT require toe-in - and wall-mount them using strong iron L-brackets.

Spend the (saved) stand money on better speakers... HARBETH, SPENDOR, ATC, PROAC, FALCON, KLH, etc. etc...

With a sealed speaker, you only need to leave 60mm-70mm between the rear of your speaker and the front wall for great sound. No speaker ports - and port-fart - to worry about!

With this type of near-wall-mounting, you will be surprised at how BIG a speaker you can accommodate - as they seem to just disappear on the wall.

We now live in China - the apartment life - and this is what we have done with our large 3-way MAGNAT ALL-RIBBON 6 speakers.

They sound utterly superb in a small room, because you don't want too much volume - it easily over-drives a small room - so the bass reinforcement from the front wall means that you don't need loads of volume to get full music impact.

...and it makes for a very spacious, low-clutter and easy-clean room.

It should be an easy task, for a builder like yourself! ;)

The world is your lobster for titchy speakers- what type of music do you listen to and what is your budget for new speaksers?

:)

The world is your lobster for titchy speakers- what type of music do you listen to and what is your budget for new speaksers?
Pretty much accross the board …but a lot of jazz , acoustic, rock , classical . My tastes are pretty eclectic.

:)

I have and use the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 with Neat Ministra.
They are ported, but, work better when close to a rear wall.
Great combo.

Last Saturday I should have received a pair of Dali Menuet SEs. The retailer sent a pair of ordinary Menuets by mistake. A little disappointed, I decided to try them out anyway. They sounded really good, so much so that I decided to keep them and get a refund on price difference. I find them very good with acoustic vocal and a variety of jazz. Haven't listed to much rock or classical as yet. I started using them on stands but have now placed them on the end of open bookshelves, with no toe in. Despite being ported they seem fine only a few cm from the wall and this also provides some useful bass reinforcement. I really don't find them lacking in bass, but to be fair I'm no bass-head!

Couple of comments - it might be that you‘ll experience a huge sq boost with dedicated balanced power supply/transformer in such a system. But still, if vinyl is a primary source, 1120 phono stage will remain a week point. 3400 has better though, among all-in-one systems Marantz 40n will also outperform 1120.

Couple of comments - it might be that you‘ll experience a huge sq boost with dedicated balanced power supply/transformer in such a system. But still, if vinyl is a primary source, 1120 phono stage will remain a week point. 3400 has better though, among all-in-one systems Marantz 40n will also outperform 1120.
I believe that the phono stage in the 1120 and 3400 is the same part, certainly has identical specs - MM 47kOhm 100pF, whether it will benefit greatly from the improved ADC unit the high end analogue module includes I dunno, suspect it won’t be massive.

I always used external phono stages with the 2170 and 3400. Pity they didn’t go all in on a phono module like Devialet, read somewhere that they did design one some years ago but it didn’t get to market.

advertisement

Back