advertisement

Small speaker recommendations

mlx

Would be much obliged for recommendations or sage advice on small speakers.

Current setup - Linn Lp12/Troika --> Naim 72--> Naim 250 --> Ryod Sorcerer speakers, a system I hardly ever use anymore since downgrading from an active 2 x Naim 250/SBL setup for reasons of space. While the source, preamp and power amp remains the same, the removal of 1 x 250 and the active SBLs has really reduced the sound quality - the sound stage, separation and authority is now very much diminished.

I thought it's about time I did something about it and to this end plan to revamp the system as such:

Linn Lp12/Troika --> phonoclone --> B4 -->2 x Hypex Nc400/SMPS600 --> small speakers (???)

For the speakers I have been toying with building the Ergo IX and then later coupling it with a subwoofer (like BK Electronics XLS200) to provide the bass extension.

Would love to have comments, advice or recommendations of alternatives - both on speakers or otherwise. (Having larger speakers is simply not feasible).

Many thanks

The original JPW mini monitors are always a good start point for a fiddle. Readily available at low cost. Small, sealed boxes, simple crossover (single inductor in series with bass, single capacitor in series with tweeter, hot-glued to the back of the input terminal plate, nothing else*). 60W rating, 6 ohms. They sound better with more stuffing than standard, imo. Being sealed they might integrate well/easily with a sub covering the <100Hz range, and being small they can do a decent focussed image too.

Ed: *thinking about it more, I think there is also a rectangular cement wirewound resistor of a few watts rating to bring the tweeter output down a bit. It's all hard-wired.

I think you are looking in the right direction. Small sealed speakers are much better in my opinion than small boxes tuned too low. If you want to build James's little Ergo's are great little speakers. I borrowed a pair for a month and they worked very well. As you say if you need a little more gravistas you may need a sub

I often hear recommendations for using a sub with small speakers. However, as far as aware, most two channel audio systems don't support hooking up a sub, unless I'm missing something or a simple bit of kit can be added?

Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.

Orangeart - Was wondering whether you could kindly elaborate some more on the Ergo IX sound, in particular in relation to the qualities I mentioned in my earlier post - separation, sound stage and authority. Can't find a detailed review of these speakers though they seem to be universally labelled as "Great". Cheers.

I think Mr Phil wrote a nice review on his at some point.

Firstly obviously they don't do authority, they are a small speaker so that is really a given.

I like a very neutral speaker and prefer clarity over romance. I also need a coherant well timed presentation. I find that speakers that can pull this off tend to also do the things you mentioned really well. These things tend to be easier to pull off in a sealed speaker. James's little Ergo uses some of the best drivers available currently for making a small sealed box and James has designed a simple yet elegantly phase coherent crossover which allows the music to flow in an immersive and dynamic way within the envelope of what is possible in a small speaker. I built a small sealed speaker a while ago, although I didn't document it as it was a little side project while I built my main speakers. They used seas drivers and were much more like the sealed version of Teddy's speaker. They sounded much like James's Ergo although I never designed a passive XO for them as I drove them with my active kit.

If you go this route will you be building them yourself?

Stefan

PMC DB1i or one of their previous versions, wonderful little speakers that I can't afford but work well with any equipment.

Stefan

Thanks for your kind words on the E-IX. When I play mine, I never felt the need for a sub. And I'm used to the E-X, which has 10" sealed woofers.

I still rate the E-IX as my most musically coherent design to date. The only downside to them is they won't go very loud, so please limit them to no more than 60W RMS per side or suffer the consequences of damaged woofers, particularly if you like plenty of drum-and-bass music.

James

They certainly were coherant, wish I could have kept them.

If the OP does decide to build these I don't think he'll be disappointed.

Stefan

Thanks for the recommendations and thanks orangeart for the elaborate on the Ergo.

Had a quick google of the PMC DB1s. It certainly has some glowing reviews even though it's somewhat pricey. Will definitely need to have an audition if I am going to go down that road.

However I am leaning towards building the Ergo IX myself, especially if James who has a Ergo X to compare it to feels there is no requirement for a sub. Would be a nice project to get my teeth into.

James - probably a dumb question, but how does one go about limiting the power to the speakers. Is it just a question of being gentle with the volume control or do I have implement some sort of component base current limiter within Ergo IX?

Cheers

James - probably a dumb question, but how does one go about limiting the power to the speakers. Is it just a question of being gentle with the volume control or do I have implement some sort of component base current limiter within Ergo IX?
Not dumb at all. The thing that damages the little mid-woofer is over excursion, not necessarily power - even though they are only rated for 60W long term. They have plenty of thermal capacity to soak up 100W or more short-term, just not 100W at 25Hz. So, all you need to do is watch the amount of cone excursion they are exhibiting, particularly with bass-heavy music. The Scan-speak 15W8530K01 is mechanically limited to +/- 9mm, but it is best to keep them to their linear range, which is +/- 6.5mm.

Because they will reproduce bass down to 40Hz effortlessly, you might be tempted to turn up the wick. You'll just have to exercise restraint and resist.

;)

Thanks James for the info. Good job I am not too into drum and bass though there is a couple of stunt bass albums I have which makes it difficult to resist, well, not too difficult.

I am now almost sure that I will try my hands on making the Ergo IX. Thanks for all your help and recommendations. Cheers.

advertisement

Back