advertisement

Small Floorstanders?

wiresandmore

pfm Member
Hi everyone

A new listening room and layout may force me down the path where I need to use speakers no more than ~80cm tall. They need to be happy close-ish to a back wall (50cm). I am assuming this means small floorstanders, but I guess standmounts on low stands could work.....

Budget is around the £2-5K mark.

I am considering:

- Neat Iota Alpha and the new Xplorer
- Shahinian Arc or Obelisk
- Kudos x2
- Spendor A2

Are there others I should add?

Thanks

Hi everyone

A new listening room and layout may force me down the path where I need to use speakers no more than ~80cm tall. They need to be happy close-ish to a back wall (50cm). I am assuming this means small floorstanders, but I guess standmounts on low stands could work.....

Budget is around the £2-5K mark.

I am considering:

- Neat Iota Alpha and the new Xplorer
- Shahinian Arc or Obelisk
- Kudos x2
- Spendor A2

Are there others I should add?

Thanks

Rega RX3 is 80 cm high

I'd imagine they would need a nearer distance to rear wall though, I have my RX1 more tight even they are ported behind

will be either Devialet or Naim (I have both, long story....) For Devialet I'd like a SAM supported speaker but that's making it even harder!

If the max height is no more than 80cm max & there’s no flexibility on that, it rules out my fave small floorstander, which is the PMC Twenty5.23, which really is a cracking good speaker. I think it’s about 90 cm tall though. The Twenty5.22’s or 23 standmounts could work though on small stands.
Other than that, I’d look at the Totem range. Both brands work very well with Naim amps.

Devore 88's are close to that size. Very good speaker. I've had them around that distance form walls and they sounded good.

How strict is your height limit? Kudos X2s are under it, and under your budget - X3s are only a little taller. I've found X2s reasonably unfussy about room positioning, and certainly OK with 50cm or less behind them.
I would certainly consider Shahinian, maybe Larsen too?
If you go for standmounts, there are a few manufacturers who can make stands to order, maybe Something Solid or HiFi Racks, which might give you a few options.

That looks very interesting - are they sold in the UK - the distributor site suggests they only import the Heed amps?
They certainly were because my dealer carried them, I’ll have to check up with him. They certainly sounded very good though.

"Most music lovers face the problem of “where to put the speakers,” but those in small spaces even more so. Larsen HiFi of Sweden conquers this by building speakers with a small footprint (only 9 x 10 inches at the base and about 30 inches tall) that are designed to sound their best right up against the rear wall. Like most other hifi speakers, they still benefit from being away from the side walls, if possible. Now you can actually put a pair of speakers next to the couch and they will sound fantastic. You won’t have to argue with whoever you share your living quarters with about this anymore."

http://www.theaudiophileapartment.com/problem-solved-larsen-6-2-speakers/

mind you , i don`t think they win any awards for beauty !!!!! anyone heard any yet ?

i was looking at those today , they look good vfm . never heard them though . chap on my facebook group just sold his proac 1.5 to buy a pair i think

advertisement

Back