advertisement

SL2 tweeter replacement

I replaced the tweeters in my Allaes with scanspeak cost around £100, borrowed a hot glue gun and copied how Naim applied the glue on the faulty tweeters. Removed the brass plate from the faulty units and applied to the new.
I must say after I finished which took about 30 min (per speaker) including the soldering the finished article looked better then the Naim effort.

Sound quality from the Allaes is spot on, no imbalance running now for around 2 years.

They are awesome loudspeakers and because of there age you should really be replacing both at the same time anyway.
Faffing about with the blown tweeter is pointless IMO.

Barry, most probably wise words. Just that I am an engineer so a little look is intriguing. Then I'll decide what to do. For sure, the safe option is to go the official naim route. It grates though how much they add to the basic tweeter price when I might be able to get it done by myself. So I'll have a look around at it and then report back if only for interest sake.

Naim use the non ferrofluid units so be sure the new ones are the same but I think they are difficult to get, I could be wrong though.

Falcon acoustics have the d2010/11500 non ferro for £54 ea. no brainer.
Indeed. Spoke to them already but would ideally like to understand the difference between the idea Matched pair from naim versus the falcon ones which are from the sameproduction batch. I suspect not much but it might be enough to make the naim option viable. Anyway will look into the actual problem as per grog for interest sake and see what needs to be done if I go the day route.

A matched pair is what they are, they number the unit ,sweep test them and log the result for each unit. The the results are looked at and ones with a similar responce /output are paired together .

I doubt anyone could here the difference though unless the units are way out of spec.

A matched pair is what they are, they number the unit ,sweep test them and log the result for each unit. The the results are looked at and ones with a similar responce /output are paired together .

I doubt anyone could here the difference though unless the units are way out of spec.

This is not what Falcon have confirmed to me though. They have promised to same a pair from the same production batch and with sequential numbers of possible but they do not pair match. Anyway I am tempted to go that way but I just want to make sure the tolerances are within reasonable limits., ie no audible, and that the work is realist ell trival to do. Otherwise as Barry mentions just suck it up pay Naim to do it.

Short update. Got falcon to send over 2 scan speak tweeters from the same batch and sequential serial numbers. Now fitted. Sl2 are singing again. Perhaps the matched pair would be better but still they sound fab to my ears. Thanks for all opinions.

Short update. Got falcon to send over 2 scan speak tweeters from the same batch and sequential serial numbers. Now fitted. Sl2 are singing again. Perhaps the matched pair would be better but still they sound fab to my ears. Thanks for all opinions.
Good to see you are happy and have your SL2s working again.:cool:

well done but at £50 ish i would have bought 4 units just to be on the safe side, and then crank that volume up

advertisement

Back