advertisement

Sky Glass TV’s

CTank

pfm Member
Anyone using these? Worth the money?

They do seem more expensive than normal TV’s, but are apparently carbon-neutral. Can also be bought interest free through a Sky contract.

We have one. There’s lots to like, the picture is good, at least compared to my early adopter 4K 50” Panasonic set. I like the way it makes streaming easy as that’s mostly what we do. That and watch football on it. It does have its problems, it’s not that easy to browse sometimes, occasionally it flunks out when the broadband is a little flaky. I’ve had black screens and the occasional freeze. Our broadband isn’t amazing, but we get a steady 30mbps. I don’t think they’ve quite got that bit sorted yet. The sound isn’t as wonderful as they’d have you believe, but it’s better than a normal TV set. I put a wireless range extender in the same room as it, and that seems to have improved things. To be honest, it’s not as polished a product as Sky claim, nor as bad a product as others claim. I’m pondering running an Ethernet cable to it. That may be more stable.I’d have two doorways to negotiate though…

We have one. There’s lots to like, the picture is good, at least compared to my early adopter 4K 50” Panasonic set. I like the way it makes streaming easy as that’s mostly what we do. That and watch football on it. It does have its problems, it’s not that easy to browse sometimes, occasionally it flunks out when the broadband is a little flaky. I’ve had black screens and the occasional freeze. Our broadband isn’t amazing, but we get a steady 30mbps. I don’t think they’ve quite got that bit sorted yet. The sound isn’t as wonderful as they’d have you believe, but it’s better than a normal TV set. I put a wireless range extender in the same room as it, and that seems to have improved things. To be honest, it’s not as polished a product as Sky claim, nor as bad a product as others claim. I’m pondering running an Ethernet cable to it. That may be more stable.I’d have two doorways to negotiate though…
We have an old SkyQ box in our area with dodgy WiFi connection, and an Ethernet connection is a big improvement

I’m pondering that now!! I can probably find the wire to try that with. I’d need 20m to get from the router to the tv…
I’m with BT and two of their extenders get a good signal from my router in the lounge to my office in what was a separate garage. Sure other providers make similar promises?

I have a Sky extender. I’ve put it near the TV and plugged it in. If it makes it more stable I’ll get a longer wire and plug the extender back where I really wanted it.

Hi,

I have Sky Glass, just a different way of watching TV, you have to forget the old Sky system and accept it is closer to using an audio streaming system, you have to know what you want to watch and find it rather than it being presented to you.

You get lots of new TV programs, from Netflix to Prime included, there are a few of the old Sky channels that are not on Sky Glass but I do not miss them, the amount of TV available is huge.

Have had a few black screens, I use ethernet cables to both the Sky Glass TV and to the Sky Puck running on my old TV.

The Sky Glass picture needs to be configured to your viewing rather than letting it auto figure the picture on some programs, an example being the Sky Atlantic series of Chernobyl , on the auto picture it is a very dark screen which in some scenes makes it difficult to see, whereas configuring the picture to be brighter with more contrast makes a big difference.

I find the picture not quite as good as my smaller Samsung 39" TV but then again the Sky Glass is a 55" and so like in the past a smaller screen always looks sharper that a larger one.

I find the audio very good, however I think that could be down to the room and the TV, I suppose just like an audio system.

There are so many different settings to play about with that it is best to try a few and see how you get on.

I have talked to Sky a few times lately and they know there are some issues but are getting things sorted, if your TV black screens a few times report it through the Sky app and you will get a new TV if they find that the TV is at fault.

My total package including the TV and the Puck costs me an extra £2 a month against my old Sky package, I was looking at getting Sky Q but the looking at the install costs and a new 55" TV Sky Glass for me was the best way to go, and a lot cheaper.

Sure it has problems, it is only a few months into it's life, remember Linn brought out streamers way back in 2007-8 and they still are upgrading the software that runs them and the apps that control them so Sky has a way to go yet.

There is a big update to Glass tonight so some new features and issues sorted.

Another plus is you get five, yes 5, SkyGo devices to be used, and they can be used outwith the UK. So any family members say a student away from home, or in the home, or parents at a different location can use SkyGo on their tablets or computers, using your account on SkyGo

All in all I prefer it, not having to worry about the dish getting blown off axis or the cable from the dish being rubbed through letting water in then finding it's way to the Sky box. Just a power cable and an ethernet cable, what's not to like about it.

Cheers

John

Would getting a plug in extender and running an Ethernet cable from that work?

We use powerline plugs on our SkyQ main box and mini box - they’re hopeless with non-Sky wifi. Very rarely get dropouts compared with the many times a day issues previously.

Sky Glass TV (65-inch) Review | AVForums
The Good

• Decent colour performance thanks to QLED panel
  • Decent soundbar and up-firing speakers
  • Dolby Atmos
  • Neat remote control
  • Good choice of designs
The Not So Good

• Only one adjustable Picture Preset for SDR, HDR, Dolby Vision
  • No gamma control
  • Calibration controls don't work properly
  • Auto Backlight Adjustment is buggy
  • Poor black levels & shadow detail
  • Poor panel uniformity
  • Poor viewing angles
  • Mediocre HDR/Dolby Vision performance
  • Dirty Screen Effect
  • Chunky design
  • Clunky UI system
  • Not good value for money
  • No gaming features and very high input lag (132ms)

Yip a 5 star review from AVForums, just a shame it's out of a possible 10 ;)

With that not so good list definitely one to avoid :(

Hi,

Just found a big issue with Sky Glass.

Had put into my playlists the F1 practice, both session 1 and 2.

Came back in expecting to find them in my playlists so I could watch them, had a look nothing there.

Having phoned Sky I now find out that a lot of programs need to be put into what they call "On Demand" and F1 is one of these.

This means you have to wait until what you have put into a playlist to watch comes "On Demand" on Sky's servers.

The F1 practice sessions from today Friday are not due to be placed "On Demand" until tomorrow Saturday, so to watch the Grand Prix on Sunday, if you had been out, you would have to wait until Monday to watch it.

What f*****g use is that..............

John :mad:

There’s a good idea hidden in here but Sky Q is the mature product whilst Glass has a long way to go. The boxes have too much physical depth and are bang average. The interface has some good ideas but is nowhere near Q.

Just had a crazy thought. Does the Sky glass tv have a standard digital tuner in it as well as multiple hdmi connections? Is it a fully functional telly if you cancel your sky subscription?

Have checked, it has a coax aerial socket but I cannot see in the setup where you would search for stations.

It has a number of HDMI connections, however all are input I think, not output, if they were I could solve this issue very quickly.

The Sky Puck has an HDMI that outputs to a HD TV ;)

The GP qualifying just came onto my playlist just now, b****y useless.

Have also noticed that unlike the Sky HD or Q where you would say record the GP it would record the full years events, Sky Glass only puts in the current weekend GP, so if the next GP is more than a week away you have to remember to put all that weekends events into your playlist the week it is on.

Pretty poor on Sky, looks like they never beta tested Sky Glass very well as these are pretty standard things that I am wanting.

I guess with the hdmi connections you could at least connect up your Virgin box after Sky up their prices:D The lack of tuning for the digital aerial is a bit cheeky though. Back in the days I had Sky the aerial input was the only way to receive broadcasts when it was snowing heavily, I guess high speed broadband has solved that issue these days.

I think the aerial input only becomes active if broadband fails. It seems to look for the channel you’ve just been watching.

advertisement

Back