advertisement

Skipping CD63

rabbit

pfm Member
I have a Marantz CD63 that I use in my second system, but it is now refusing to play track 1 and sometimes track 2 of most CD's. I assume this means the laser has had it. Is there a way to get this fixed economically or do I throw it away and start again with latest/greatest cheap CDP?

Many thanks.

could be that the laser track could do with some lubrication - might have dried up given the age of the player. Also, have you tried cleaning the lens?

Same happened to my CD63... while under warranty :(

Marantz said the laser had gone, but replaced it.

A few years later it happenned all over again...
I sold the thing on eBay.

You can buy a replacement VAM1201 transport mechanism and fit it yourself. They are cheap (under 25 quid).

I think grandata might stock them in the UK. Mouser has them in the US.

Fitting instructions can be found at the web site of AhTjoeb.

Agree with previous posters to start with lens cleaner (isopropyl on a cotton bud) and lube of the gears, but if all else fails transports are cheap.

For the record I have a CD67 that has seen constant use since early 1997 and is still going like a champ.

Often cause of skipping is the grease on the drive mech getting dryed up & thick - clean the drive cogs, & rails & regrease & it often cures the problem.

Hi,
This is a common problem on Micromega's. In the first instance try cleaning the mechanism rod that the laser slides on and the small cogs. Maplins sell a spray on silicone which can be used as lubricant. It seems not to harden off like the lubricants Micromega use. Sean D Taylor has put you onto the right company for a new mechanism. The only tricky bit to installing these is a very thin flat connector that has to be plugged into the players motherboard. Nimble fingers required here :D
Good Luck

Dave

There's two potential problems with the Philips mech used in the Marantz.

Skipping all over the disc is usually the result of a laser on its way out (which can be checked by looking at the RF waveform from the laser pickup, on a 'scope), skipping at specific locations, often in the Marantz on track 1 or 2 (check the time when it skips and see if it's consistent on the same disc) is often due to debris or old grease on the gears that drive the laser sled and more occasionally dried grease on the sled runners themselves.

Often examination will reveal some greasy bit of dust and fluff caught in a gear, and cleaning this will fix the problem - if the laser sled guides need lubricating clean them first then re-grease with a graphite-based lubricant.

To be honest it's easier to buy a new mech and fit it, as mentioned they are cheap.

Andy.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Today I opened it up and cleaned away all the hardened crud - looks like they used goose fat, quite gross!

No longer skips on tracks 1&2. :)

looks like they used goose fat, quite gross!
Esp. since they should have used snake oil...

As Andy says, a great result. If you ever do have a serious problem though, a VAM1201 drops straight in (grandata.co.uk or Dalbani.co.uk ) for about £16.

(doh! Seans already mentioned this...)

Just bought a CD63 off the Bay - skipping for 1 second every few seconds on tracks 1 & 2

Followed the advise and cleaned the tracks and worm wheel gearing the laser sled runs on - and Hey presto! £26 eBay CD player plays great

So, thanks guys, :thumbsup:

I guess Philips abandoned their swing-arm mechs for cost reasons; shame, as that problem is obviously not an issue with the CDM4 and CDM9.

I bought a non-working CD 63 KI for £30 locally and changed the transport mech, it now works fine. The old mech used a clear grease, the replacement used brown grease and I have another CD63 that uses brown grease with and has no tracking problems. I guess the clear grease doesn't last as long. They're great players (even better with a Superclock and Q-power regulator) so it makes snese to buy a spare mech while you can.

Rusty you mention CDM9. I have one that jumps a little, could this be the same issue, if so how do I clean it. And what do i re oil with?

I had a similar fault with my CDX (VAM1205) which was fixed by greasing the laser sled runner. I used Molycote 111M silicon grease which did the trick.... had one or two skips shortly after applying, perhaps whilst the grease was 'working in', but haven't had a single skip for the past few hundred hours of playback. I wonder how many transports have been binned just because the grease had dried out???

I wish the 1205 were as easy to get as the 1201!!!

[QUOTE=trancera;507440]Rusty you mention CDM9. I have one that jumps a little, could this be the same issue, if so how do I clean it. And what do i re oil with?[/QUOTE]

The swing-arm mechs don't usually suffer from stiction, so I'd clean the laser with a cotton bud and isopropyl, check that the wiring is not obstructing the laser assembly in it's rotation, and if that doesn't work it may be that it's on it's way out.

advertisement

Back