advertisement

Sir Michael Tippet recommendations

madscientist

pfm Member
Hi

This may be a bit of a long shot but i am after some recommendations for the best music by Sir Michael Tippet (no opera please!). I heard a piece many year ago that i cannot identify but it blew me away, it was quite reminiscent of Mars the Bringer of War. Can anyone help with this rather vague request?

In Hope
Paul

I don't recognise the work you mention, but I'd try the following...

Fantasia Concertante on a Theme of Corelli
Concerto for Double String Orchestra
The symphonies
A Child of Our Time - vocal, but not opera
There's a piece written for the birthday of Prince Charles that's also rather fun

If you would consider an opera I'd suggest the Midsummer Marriage.

Tippett's a deeply unfashionable composer at the moment, but enjoyable none the less IMHO.

Is he unfashionable now? That's a shame, I must admit that I have heard little live recently.

I heard Symphony 3 in the early '70s when it was new and have never tired of it. Symphony 2 followed, then the Piano Concerto.

Most played these days is King Priam, I shall play it this afternoon. Oops sorry that's an opera.

Tippett afternoon, Symphony 3 is still stunning.

I then played the Steven Osborne Tippett Piano Concerto which I enjoyed. I'm not so sure about the Piano Sonatas 2, 3 and 4. Investigating options.

I have and enjoy the first box. But it is not at all comprehensive? There are no Symphonies for a start.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm not normally a Tippett fan, but enjoy both the "Concerto for Double String Orchestra" (early Tippett) and "The Rose Lake" (very late Tippett, possibly the last thing he wrote)

advertisement

Back