advertisement

Shahinian compasses

I own a pair and they've just got better and better as I've upgraded source and amplification.
For - Clean, open and natural.
Against - Can get a little lost in big rooms due to having a slightly a recessed sound. I'd liken it to being nearer the back than the front at a gig.

I got a fairly recent pair for a real knock-down price around 12 years back. In their favour, they're quite unobtrusive, small speakers which look quite good and are discreet - mine were in oak finish. Sonically, however, they were a bit lacklustre - small sounding (so, going further up the range would clearly sort this out) and lacking a bit in detail and extension. However, I seem to remember them being really good on acoustic guitars and female vocals. I managed to more than double my outlay when I sold them on a few months later...

They can sound really good in some rooms, and horrid in others.
Shahinians are a lot less room friendly than some would have you believe but when they work they really work. Arc's for me are a very big improvement all round and worth the extra outlay as well as being more discreet.

Hi Optom. I ran a pair of Compasses for about two years in a 12'x13' room. They worked perfectly well with a Sugden A21a but were far better with a pair of Albarry M1008 mono blocks. I tried them with an Art Audio Quintet and the bass died so I decided to move them on. Cracking speakers with a unique presentation. The real question will be whether that presentation is to your liking. I did recently hear a pair of new Obelisks and they were wonderful .... Just more of everything.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom