advertisement

seven nation army - white stripes

Neil P

pfm Member
I'm listening to this on CD ... either I can here the snare drum wires rattling along to the bass drum at the start ... or something in my room is rattling along!?!?

mmm… from memory (which is shite) my copy (vinyl) has the same snare wires extra sound.
I will try and remember to play it over the next few days.

Thank you. I had to really crank it up to hear it, at which point my teeth were rattling too. It may be vinyl shows that level/kind of detail at lower volumes.

I don't hear snare drum on my headphones - I think it might be the nature of the distortion?

I’ll have a listen later. It was recorded using my pair of Lockwoods as monitors (Toe Rag Studios) so I’ve as good a chance of hearing what’s there as anyone. My suspicion is it is just the guitar amp giving out, but given they were such a simple band chances are it was mostly live in the same room so some bleed and resonance is inevitable and part of the desired effect.

PS I sold a copy of the UK vinyl recently and it was an exceptionally good sounding record. My own copy is the US red/white vinyl 1st press, which is more collectable, but doesn’t sound as good. I couldn’t justify keeping both. It amuses me it has got the £140 MoFi audiophile dad-rock ‘One Step’ treatment recently. I guess we are all getting old now!

PS I sold a copy of the UK vinyl recently and it was an exceptionally good sounding record. My own copy is the US red/white vinyl 1st press, which is more collectable, but doesn’t sound as good. I couldn’t justify keeping both. It amuses me it has got the £140 MoFi audiophile dad-rock ‘One Step’ treatment recently. I guess we are all getting old now!

That's news to me but also done by Analogue productions.

I have this UK pressing. I'm prepared to bet the the AP might be better from what I've heard about it but it's pretty blooming good. Beats the CD issue.

I have this UK pressing. I'm prepared to bet the the AP might be better from what I've heard about it but it's pretty blooming good. Beats the CD issue.

That one is great IMO, I’d not bother going further. Beats mine, which is this one (Discogs). Just more kick and heft to it, not that mine is bad.

The sleeve of the UK release is quite different to both the US pressing at the CD too.

There are a lot of different cover designs for this one, if you have a look on Discogs it looks like quite a lot of pictures were taken and ended up on different pressings. Some very subtle changes, e.g. the position of the cricket bat.

I'm listening to this on CD ... either I can here the snare drum wires rattling along to the bass drum at the start ... or something in my room is rattling along!?!?

Okay, Granddaughter and I have played the intro several times (vinyl)

on the left there is squiggly electronic sounds that is very much in the background and sounds more related to the Bass guitar than the drums. Difficult to tell whether it has been added after the fact or whether it is an artefact from the recording. It is like an electronic echo, difficult to describe.

That is what we can hear.

my copy >
The White Stripes - Elephant album cover
More images

Label:Third Man Records – TMR200
Format:2 x Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Repress
Released:27 Aug 2013

Sorry, getting confused, yes, it is AP’s UHQR version. I don’t buy any of these and none have ever landed in the shop so I don’t pay much attention!
Also a little underestimated. Cheapest I've seen is £175 or be lucky & buy it directly from the States or website that deals with direct States purchases, like WOWHD & get it for £149 if it slides through customs.

advertisement

Back