advertisement

September listening

joel

Painter of Dragons, Maker of Mirrors
Thought I'd try one of these monthly listening threads...

The Music of Islam (Celestial Harmonies 19907-2) - 17 CDs that span a wide range (note, not the *entire* range) of Islamic music - or more accurately traditional music from Islamic countries - there is secular music in here, too. Well-recorded, too. Which is nice.
Volume One: Al-Qahirah, Classical Music of Cairo
Volume Two: Music of the South Sinai Bedouins
Volume Three: Music of the Nubians - excellent sampler of Southern Egyptian Nubian music from Asswan region
Volume Four: Music of the Arabian Peninsula
Volume Five: 'Aissaoua Sufi Ceremony (double)
Volume Six: Al-Maghrib, Gnawa Music
Volume Seven: Al-Andalus, Andalusian Music
Volume Eight: Folkloric Music of Tunisia - brilliant and unexpectedly fierce percussion / bagpipe band. Superb percussion work and vocals
Volume Nine: Mawlawiyah Music of the Whirling Dervishes
Volume Ten: Qur'an Recitation
Volume Eleven: Music of Yemen - another excellent album, and different from the various (excellent) San'aa albums out there :D
Volume Twelve: Music of Iran
Volume Thirteen: Music of Pakistan
Volume Fourteen: Mystic Music Through the Ages
Volume Fifteen: Muslim Music of Indonesia, West Sumatra and Aceh (double) - The West Sumatra disc is an excellent percussive album that surprised me with it's mix of Gamelan, Buddhist and Arab influences.
see www.celestialharmonies.com (who also purvey crass "new age" to the lumpen bourgoisie, oh well)

African Showboyz Spiritual Song (buda 82253-2) 4 brothers and a couple of uncles from Ghana who whip up a trad storm. A really nice album that mixes traditional and modern, ie 3-little birds in a West African drum band stylee...
The Real Bahamas Volume II (nonesuch l79733-2) - I'm not a fan of Calypso, can't explain why, but there you are. Fortunately, this is not Calypso. These are spirituals sung by the decendants of US slaves who ran away/escaped to the Bahamas. Fans of southern Gospel quartets *need* to check this album out
El Negro and Robby Onto the street (still at the third world war) (EastWest ewecd2001) - two of the finest current trap drummers are meticulously recorded going out onto the street where they mix the clave with hints of santeria and a good dose of Soul and Rap.
Pharoah Sanders Quartet The Creator Has a Master Plan (Venus TKCV-35321) Pharoah still seems stuck in some kind of time time warp jazz lounge, but he occasionally escapes and breathes a little fire...
Golden Rain - Music from Bali (nonesuch7559-79716-2) Includes the Ramayana Monkey chant, which everyone should listen to at least once ;)
Matmos The Civil War first track "Regicide" is an interesting mixture of noise / ambiant and folkyness. Sadly that is the only interesting idea on an album that goes downhill rapidly from track 1. In the end a big yawn.
Donna Regina Late (Karaoke Kalk CD22) An album of German minimalism - or so I hoped. Some nice textures, but ultimately Portishead on Mogadon and lacking the necessary bite.
Mary J Blige Love & Life ahh now we're talking. Maybe her best album so far. P Diddy at the controls takes the beats to new and surprisingly interesting places while Mary grows ever wiser and more soulful. The Nu Queen of Soul.
Mestre Ambrosio fua na casa de cabral (Sony Music Brazil) Maybe the Mestres' best effort yet. The classic Pandeiro driven sound remains but they throw electric instruments and anything they can lay their hands on back into the mix. A much weightier and more satisfying effort than their previous couple of albums.
Drums of Death (Avan 062) A rare and (IMHO) important recording of Ewe and Ashanti funerary music. Classic West African drum band music of very high "statistical density" and one to to get if you can find it. An important album.
Lonnie Plaxico Group Live at the Jazz Standard (eighty-eight's VRCL 6012) so so album featuring some very good technicians in search of a soul...
Luis Gonzaga Eu so Quero Um Forro The classic Forro. One for all students of Brazilian popular music.
Plus a bunch of other stuff including some Colombian drum music and yet more music from al-Andalus.

Mostly John Zorn, if I'm being honest. Some favourites:

- Masada, Live in Jerusalem/Live in Taipei. A mixture of Ornette Coleman, klezmer, and Zorn's unsentimental and unstinting intelligence. Fabulous records, the most important group in jazz for the last 30 years IMO.

- Spy Vs. Spy. An old favourite, hyper versions of Ornette tunes, mostly played in around 3 minutes flat. Rockin' good.

- Kristallnacht. Very very dark and troubling, with moments of beauty amongst the bleakness (mostly from David Krakauer's virtuoso clarinet playing). In places, painful to listen to, both emotionally and sonically.

- Naked City, Live at the Knitting Factory, 1989. Punk rock, heavy metal, cartoon music, free jazz, you name it. Utterly unique.

- The Art of Memory. Duo free improv with the great Fred Frith, never too cerebral, always totally involving.

-- Ian

Currently alternating a few new discoveries with some old favourites.

New discoveries (for me):

Fruit Bats, "Mouthfuls" - see AllMusic.com

LambChop, "Is a woman" and "Nixon"

Leo Kottke, "6- and 12-string guitar"

Al Di Meola, "Land of the midnight sun" (really dodgy cover, some great playing on this one. Had it for years on dodgy taped-from-a-Sony-tt copy, finally got round to buying it on vinyl).

Giorgia, "Senza Ali". No comment. You wouldn't like it.

Gillian Welch, "Soul Journey" - nice, paired down, slightly countrified, nicely played and sung...

"Wicker Man OST" - intriguing soundtrack from a bizarre but compulsive film...

...plus listening to a lot of old stuff that's kicking about, and relishing the newly acquired Anniversary DSOTM on the recently returned-to-me Linn...

I only wish I had more time to listen to music...

jtc

Originally posted by sideshowbob
Mostly John Zorn, if I'm being honest. Some favourites:

- Masada, Live in Jerusalem/Live in Taipei. A mixture of Ornette Coleman, klezmer, and Zorn's unsentimental and unstinting intelligence. Fabulous records, the most important group in jazz for the last 30 years IMO.
I have been meaning to pick this up for a while. Might do on Saturday, while I'm picking up the Harbeths :D (ooh, tempting fate...).
But seriously, the best? Better/more important than AEoC? Shurely shome mishtake :confused:

Not necessarily the best, but a strong claim to being the most important (the Art Ensemble's best records were *mostly* around 30 years ago as well, I was thinking of them when I came up with that figure). Masada is now evolving into all sorts of sub-projects (string trios, chamber ensembles, electric groups), and is just getting better and better. Interesting that Zorn has persisted with it for so long (over a decade now), which suggests he thinks he's on to something. I'm sure in the future when musicologists are analysing the contributions made to the music, Masada will be up there with Trane's classic quartet and Ornette's great trios.

-- Ian

Hi

This month I'm listening to the Chrome Collection. This is a 3 cd box set by the (Detroit) Spinners.

Some quality soul stuff dating from 1961. The 70's stuff that they did was class leading. Fine crossover tunes that include I'll be around, It's a shame, Mighthy love, Rubberband man Could it be I'm falling in love & Working my way back to you. Feel good music.

Punky Reggae Party on Trojan has been making regular visits to the CD player. A very good selection of mid to late 70's reggae.

Dean

It's A Shame is one my favourite singles ever!! Must dig out my Motown Chartbusters with it on..........

"You leave me all alone - by the telephone"..........

Rich

The Detroit Spinners - don't think I've even heard them in 20 years - the shame of it.... So much really fantastic music that just passes under the bridge. I will keep an eye out for something on vinyl.

Ian,
I really will have to check out some more Zorn. Interestingly he was involved in the "Drums of Death" CD I mentioned above. A man of taste.

Currently listening to *more* Yemeni music - this time MM Naji & KM Khali "La Chanson d'Aden" on Institute du Monde Arabe (IMA 321047). Bismillah! Storming album (in an acoustical-polyrhythmic ud-voice-ululation-percussion kind of way).

Hi

The Spinners were one of the biggest soul groups of the early to mid 70s. 2nd only to the O'jays. They along with the O'jays were leading exponents of the Philly soul sound. this was a sound built up of sweeping strings & lush arrangements that backed fine vocal performance. The Spinners had the skill of Thom Bell (producer/writer/ arranger) to thank for that.

The Spinners were neglected when they were on Motown. The tune It's a Shame ( written by Stevie Wonder) was released over a year after they recorded it after much delaying by Motown. It was only when they left Motown & went to Atlantic did they hit gold with a string of US R 'n' B/ pop top 10 hits (including a few No1s).

Joel,

The best albums to look out for are

Best of the Spinners motown
Spinners Atlantic
Mighty Love Atlantic
New & Improved Atlantic
Pick of the litter Atlantic
The best of the Spinners Atlantic

The above can be found on vinyl for little money. You may have to hunt them down.

On cd look out for

The very best of the Spinners Rhino
Essential collection motown
Chrome Collection Rhino

Dean

advertisement

Back