advertisement

Sennheiser HD 650

That's a great price.

I have had a pair of them for a good few years now, but it is only since I bought a RME ADI-2 DAC fs this week that I have really began to appreciate them.

However, my son rates them as the best of my collection of headphones!

My Focals both have the edge on my 650s, but I still use them as there's sth cosy and right about them. However, they do need new pads, so maybe that's uplift them somewhat. Still can't quite figure out the way to remove the old without prising damage, though.

My Focals both have the edge on my 650s, but I still use them as there's sth cosy and right about them. However, they do need new pads, so maybe that's uplift them somewhat. Still can't quite figure out the way to remove the old without prising damage, though.
Looks fairly straightforward...?

YouTube has vids for plenty of things. I used one to replace the saggy headband cushion on my HD565's, before I upgraded to HD660S's.

Although I still can't work our why my Qashqai wheel bearing/hub replacement took several hours, but only 10 minutes on the video....

I had to get some replacement earpads for my old 650s. They were just some cheapies from Amazon, but I do find them more comfortable than the new ones. It must be said too, that the old ones do sound a bit better, although the new ones will hopefully improve with time.
Anyway, I'm happy with them and the price was right.

Looks fairly straightforward...?

Yes, its pretty easy. I did both headband padding and earpads a few weeks ago and they are as good as new again. The earpads take quite a lot of pressure to fit and you need to be pushing on the right place, i.e. exactly where the ridge is, but it isn’t hard. The clips for the headband pop out easily enough with a plastic spudger (e.g. Amazon), I’d not personally use a metal knife or screwdriver as they’d likely leave a mark.

I don’t think Sennheiser still make headband padding for the HD-600, only the 650, though the latter will fit fine, it just looks a little different. I went with a clone for the headband padding and OEM earpads just to keep them looking the way they did originally, but that’s just me being overly obsessive about small details as usual!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I don’t think Sennheiser still make headband padding for the HD-600, only the 650, though the latter will fit fine, it just looks a little different. I went with a clone for the headband padding and OEM earpads just to keep them looking the way they did originally, but that’s just me being overly obsessive about small details as usual!

I used an HD600 (cheap copy off eBay) headband when I did my HD565's. It was quite a tricky job (YouTube vid helped, but needed quite a bit of force). The headband was about 40mm shorter than the original, but I made up a couple of 20mm spacers to take up the gaps with some 1mm thick black plastic sheet (HIPS) from work, and when it was finished you would never have known it was not as built new

I used an HD600 (cheap copy off eBay) headband when I did my HD565's. It was quite a tricky job (YouTube vid helped, but needed quite a bit of force). The headband was about 40mm shorter than the original, but I made up a couple of 20mm spacers to take up the gaps with some 1mm thick black plastic sheet (HIPS) from work, and when it was finished you would never have known it was not as built new

I used this one (Amazon), it is a little more padded/fatter than I remember the original being from new, and hugely from the flattened place the original ended up, but it fitted fine with no trouble at all.

PS In hindsight I think it could be fitted by just removing the clip at one end rather than both, but I just followed the instructions of whatever YouTube video I watched.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
They were just some cheapies from Amazon, but I do find them more comfortable than the new ones. It must be said too, that the old ones do sound a bit better, although the new ones will hopefully improve with time.
Bit confused here, as I need new pads, inserts and headband for my dilapidated 650s. You find your new pads more comfortable than the new ones? D'you mean old ones? Which ones did you buy, as there's a confusing variety on the bay; even at £10 to £20 ?

Bit concerned if Tony finds it tricky to change pads ('force in a certain spot')

Bit concerned if Tony finds it tricky to change pads ('force in a certain spot')

Don’t be put-off. Just look very carefully at the parts in front of you. The temptation is just to pull the old pads off and push the new ones on, but you’ll quickly realise the oval ‘lip’ that fits in a ‘channel’, the thing that actually holds everything in place, is nowhere near the edge, plus you are squishing a brand new pair of foam inner cover/dust sheet thingies (they come with the ear pads). The technique is to align the inner foam sheet things, then align the pads, and fit them by working your finger around the inside of the pad under the cushion pushing the lip firmly into the channel. It is really easy once you grasp what you are doing, it is just that it isn’t immediately clear how they go together. I know my wording here will be hard to follow until you have the parts in front of you, but when you see it it should all make sense.

I snapped the headband on my HD650s years and years ago and my solution was to use a facecloth and elastic bands lol

It looks daft as hell but it's very, very comfortable!

36898912365_00588dc610_z.jpg

I snapped the headband on my HD650s years and years ago and my solution was to use a facecloth and elastic bands lol

It looks daft as hell but it's very, very comfortable!

36898912365_00588dc610_z.jpg
I applaud your ingenuity! It's certainly cheaper than a replacement headband, but I'd have probably bitten the bullet and forked out the £70!

I applaud your ingenuity! It's certainly cheaper than a replacement headband, but I'd have probably bitten the bullet and forked out the £70!

That's a good price! I think the price I balked at before, whenever I snapped my headband, was a little over £100 plus P&P. But £70? That's worth thinking about.

I think there are small bumps at the bottom of the pod holders that clip into corresponding recesses on the actual pods. I accidentally nudged a pod out of place one time and it was pretty easy to pop it back into place.

Finally got some OEM ear pads for the 650s, i had some leather ones from Amazon but they were always going moldy, fitted the new ones with a bit of squeezing.
Anyhoo anyone got any recommendations for a headphone amp for the HD's, using them with the MDAC headphone out but it's getting past it's best, also got an old Ibasso portable battery powered headamp but it's a bit of a faff charging the battery (it's good it bettered the Graham Slee amp i had years ago by a fair margin).

Anything out there for reasonable money that make the HD's come alive? thank you.

Just purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's for the somewhat decent price of £229 at Gear4Music.com. Always got on well with my old ones, so a spare pair for bedroom use will come in handy.

I did exactly the same yesterday afternoon (Sunday). They were delivered 24 hours later ie this afternoon. I don't know about the headphones yet but the service from Gear4Music was excellent.

advertisement

Back