advertisement

Selfmade Hi-Cap like PS for CD 5 - what current needed?

Hi,
I noticed that a lot of clever people are around here. So maybe you can help me.

I want to upgrade my NAIM CD5 with a power supply. A few days ago I stumbled upon a good opportunity. Someone sold a NAC 62 with a selfmade "hi cap". So bought it, thinking that I resell the NAC and keeep the ps.

The former owner and builder of the ps tells me that the PS delivers 24 V but only a maximum of 1 Ampere current which may not be enough to power a CD-Player. I know that the 24 V are what I need but I have no idea if he is right about the current.

Do you know if max 1 A will be enough for the CD5?
Is there a risk that I harm the CD-Player with the ps?

It should be fine, since the external PS powers only the audio circutry on the CD player, and not all those digital and mechanical bits. Everything but the audio continues to get power from the internal supply.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Thanks.
I have had a look on the Naim online manuals in the meantime.
http://www.naim-audio.com/download/man_amps&psu.pdf
While no specification concerning the current is given, I was able to read whats on the backside of the flatcap 2.

Power Out A has two pins marked 24 V and two pins marked 0.2 A
Power Out B has two pins marked 22 V and two pins marked 0.1 A

This leads me to the interpretation that only 0.1 or 0.2 A are flowing. If this interpretation is correct, I will be far below the 1 A limit.

It's only a few 10's of mA, IIRC.

On channel drives a relay, so has a slightly higher current consumption.

1A is way more than needed, so will be fine.

Andy.

Fine, this really helps. Looks like I won't have problems with the current. Is there anything else I should consider before connecting the ps to my cd-player.

Originally posted by Kirschkuchen
Is there anything else I should consider before connecting the ps to my cd-player.

Not realy but I always have a quick 'pray' to the 'good lord'.

This DOES NOT help one bit but seems to impart some sort of inner calm on ones self during this plug in proccess.

Graham

advertisement

Back