advertisement

Second chance Ebay offer

'Brand new boxed' isnt the same as unopened...

That box has been open for sure, no staples multiple layers of fibre tape. If they'll lie about that what else will they lie about?

Ask for serial number and enquire with Rega to make sure it doesnt have history...

Last edited:
Update: Messaged the seller yesterday and offered £2600 but seller nor prepared to sell. Offered £2700 this morning but seller did not respond. Second chance offer option timed out. Lets see will it be relisted.

It has been relisted. Messaged the seller for details of serial number and retailer who sold the player a couple of days ago. No reply, so I am out.

I think ebay are losing out to FB marketplace which has grown exponentially recently. I'm sure that's why ebay are always offering £1 fixed fee listings all the time...they must be losing custom.
I've never bought anything on second chance offer, nor have I ever sold anything that way.

[QUOTE="leroyd, post: 3904212, member: 27229"
It has been relisted. Messaged the seller for details of serial number and retailer who sold the player a couple of days ago. No reply, so I am out.[/QUOTE]

Sounds a sensible decision.

When I use eBay to bid on anything, be it camera gear or hifi, I know the maximum I want to pay and stick at that. Then I look when the auction is ending and with about 12 seconds to go I put my bid in. By the time the page refreshes after my bid it can leave about 2 seconds and I either win or get outbid by the offer already on the item. I never use the second chance but then again I can't recall ever being offered it.

Just lately I've been buying stuff that's on a fixed price and only if I consider it a good buy. eBay can be a mine field and always be safe and if it's an absolute bargain there's usually a bad reason why.

I was bidding on a desirable piece of gear last week and lost out to a higher bid. Yesterday I got a second chance offer to purchase the item at my highest bid. It is my first time seeing this. It all seems legit, though it leaves me curious as to how the deal fell through with the other bidder. Any member here ever follow through with a second chance offer?
Deals fall through all the time, usually, though not always because the buyer wants a reduction, or complains about the postage, or most usually wants something delivered for £1.50 when it's heavy and was listed as 'collection only'. So second chance offers aren't unreasonable.

Some years ago I got something from eBay on second chance. I did a bit more checking on the seller than usual, checking feedback, location etc. It worked fine for me.

Always know what the item is worth to you, I set a limit in all auction settings. I remember at a farm displenish sale I set a limit dropped out then foolishly came back in. I did drop out again and the bidding carried on to to nearly new price for 10 year old equipment. At a sale few months later I got the same equipment for about half the price. That was a good lesson for me.

Rare items on eBay can go two ways: I have bought stuff cheap because no one else wanted it, other items can be expensive because the seller knows it's value and the other buyers also do.

advertisement

Back