advertisement

Seasick Steve

dreamer7

Any other 'Seasick Steve' fans on this forum?
I've only just got into his music and i'm loving it.
You can watch a program he did on the bbc i player
on virgin tv or the bbc website.
He comes across as a decent chap.

I saw his appearance on the Hootenanny a few years ago and thought it was very good. I bought his albums when they came out and still thought it was good.

We went and saw him earlier this year and it was shite!

Gave the CDs away.

JK

Got his stuff on CD (1 album) and vinyl (the others) - been a fan since the aforementioned Hootenanny - seen him live three times and thought he was very good.

Haven't given the albums away.

Got 'Started out with nothin.." and like the songs where he sings but dislike the one's where he rambles on a bit. 5/10

I saw his appearance on the Hootenanny a few years ago and thought it was very good. I bought his albums when they came out and still thought it was good.

We went and saw him earlier this year and it was shite!

Gave the CDs away.

JK

jim
what happened at the gig?

The novelty wore off I think. Very samey all the way through. Frenetic all the time no subtlety.

And as Stevied says he rambles on - a LOT.

The audience was going on as if he was the prodigal son - I just didn't get it.

JK

Yeah, 5 or 6 out of 10 is fair enough I think. A few really good tracks per album & a few very average ones. He does have a distinctive sound/voice/song structure which can get a wee bit repetative, but hey, thats the blues for ya!
Matt.

When I rip his albums to my Zune I always untick the last ramblin' track.

Zune!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow the first person I have ever encountered to own one. Is it brown?

Seasick is the real deal having lived the road life, but the last track is lost on me both times.

Jono

No its black. Great bit of kit. Looking eagerly at the ZuneHD at the mo.

Was an interesting documentary on him the other night.

Also interesting to know his last album was recorded just a few miles from where I live. Looks a very nice studio.

I thought I was alone.
I'm sure he's a genuine guy and his music is good, but it's the gushing adoration that puts me off more than anything. It also sucks that once again, the public can only seem to pick up on blues when it's played by a white guy. Otis Taylor is much the same territory and far better too, but the greater general public don't seem to give a ****. Wrong colour.
It just seems... sanitised.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was.

I have cheap, I started with nothing and still got most of it and dog house music.
Will be seeing him for the first time at the Appolo Manchester later this year when he does a UK tour.
Quite enjoy the music now and again, he has been on the tv a few times this year.
I prefer dog house, quite a lot of music for one man, three guitar strings and a wooden box.

I have seen him live once, and I thought he was very entertaining - a good night out. From other performances I have seen / heard though, they are all the same format - so pretty much a case of seen one, seen 'em all I reckon.

I also have both albums, although the first on vinyl was a bad pressing and I haven't got around to exchanging it, so don't listen to it as much as I otherwise would - I think its pretty strong though. The 2nd album seems a bit more mainstream to me, more polished. I prefer the first one, it has more soul IMO.

advertisement

Back