advertisement

Scanspeak D2905-9500 tweeter repair

337alant

Negatively Biased
Thinking about having a go at repairing one of my old Scanspeak D2905-9500 tweeters with an open circuit voice coil, so nothing to loose.
I bought a pair of 28mm voice coils off ebay for £29.99
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=143905478289
I have stripped down the tweeter and compared the 2 voice coils the e-bay coil fits in the groove ok but when you look at the coil windings the original has twice as many winding and is mounted on a metal ring
the ebay coil is mounted on a plastic or celluloid tube ?.
Q. Am I wasting my time?
If not I do have some more questions as I haven't done this before:-
Q1 - what type of glue should I use for reinstallation of the washers and gluing the cap back on to the spacer washer.
Q2 - there is ferro fluid in the groove, should I clean that out and replace it ?, if so where to get the right type of ferro fluid from.
Q3 - there is no polarity marked on the new coils lead wires but one wire goes to the bottom of the coil and one goes to the top, how do I confirm the polarity ?
See pics below

IMG_3683 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

IMG_3689 (2) by Alan Towell, on Flickr

IMG_3689 (3) by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Can you unwind a single turn to reuse the old coils?
As you say the new windings are only half the height so probably won't align properly in the gap, but you could raise them with a shim of the correct thickness. Would think you could maybe use pva/Aleen's tacky glue or similar as it will give you chance to position whilst still tacky to get the alignment correct whilst running a test tone, but this is all guesswork I'm afraid. Will watch with interest as I'd had the same thoughts about repairing some AR tweets which are O/C.

Can you unwind a single turn to reuse the old coils?
Thanks Alan I will have a look see if I can see the break ?, its not obvious and there are no heat scorch marks
Alan

Don’t want to be rude but.........
The final result is that the sound will be different (for the worst) with your repair.
Some speaker drivers are under hung others are over hung and it seems the supplier of the parts you bought doesn’t know about that.
That said, if it’s for a young fellow that is not a picky audiophile (like me !) then it could be ok but don’t expect to bring it to what a real Scanspeak tweeter sounds like.
Repairing a woofer is easier as the parts are larger but again, not so easy to perform.

Thanks James - I also found them today as well but it will cost me and extra 20% VAT on the price +P&P + a import handling charge of £13 or £18, so again just as easy to buy a new tweeter
I can return the Ebay coils so not much lost
I think a new pair will be the most reliable solution. The 9500 tweeter is not stupidly expensive. I loved it on my E-IV design, which I wish I kept.

These whole assemblies are known as butterfly's in the speaker trade.

Willy's stock them as do sound imports. Dead easy to do.

These whole assemblies are known as butterfly's in the speaker trade.

Willy's stock them as do sound imports. Dead easy to do.

Yes I spoke to Willy's today and he does normally stock the scanspeak voice coils and Tweeters, he told me there is a container full of scanspeak tweeters stuck at the boarder and Willys, Falcon and Wilmslow are waiting for this stock (even though falcon state online they have stock verbally they told me they don't)
They are all blaming Brexit :rolleyes:
I am returning the Ebay Voice Coils as they are poor quality
Alan

Don’t want to be rude but.........
The final result is that the sound will be different (for the worst) with your repair.
Some speaker drivers are under hung others are over hung and it seems the supplier of the parts you bought doesn’t know about that.
That said, if it’s for a young fellow that is not a picky audiophile (like me !) then it could be ok but don’t expect to bring it to what a real Scanspeak tweeter sounds like.
Repairing a woofer is easier as the parts are larger but again, not so easy to perform.

The tweeter is for my main system and I have ordered a new tweeter but due to the lack of availability at the moment I was going to attempt a temporary repair.
If I could have got the real scanspeak Voice coils I don't see why they would be that different to an original driver, I may still do this when stock is available and keep it as a spare. I will measure a repaired one and a new one when I have both
Alan

Yes I spoke to Willy's today and he does normally stock the scanspeak voice coils and Tweeters, he told me there is a container full of scanspeak tweeters stuck at the boarder and Willys, Falcon and Wilmslow are waiting for this stock (even though falcon state online they have stock verbally they told me they don't)
They are all blaming Brexit :rolleyes:
I am returning the Ebay Voice Coils as they are poor quality
Alan

Bugger!
I just yesterday sprung for a pair of 2905/97000, got the receipt from Falcon but no tracking number as yet today
Will try to do a Holm-Impulse measure of the old 2905/9000 and the new 97000 when they arrive

Bugger!
I just yesterday sprung for a pair of 2905/97000, got the receipt from Falcon but no tracking number as yet today
Will try to do a Holm-Impulse measure of the old 2905/9000 and the new 97000 when they arrive

Yep me too last Thursday and they told me it would be here by this Monday, yesterday they said they had no idea when they will arrive :rolleyes:
Alan

Shipping is a bit of a nightmare at the moment. I'm able to get stuff out of the country at the moment no problem, although of course my EU customers have a nasty surprise with VAT and heafty admin charges from customs.

Stuff isn't really flowing in though, stuff I import from the EU is coming via UPS OK but every other shipper has stopped shipping for the time being.

New 97000 tweeters arrived and installed,
rough measurements, wrong volume levels, need to spend more time on it.
D2905/9000
p5WwYhLh.png

D2905/97000 (with slight roll off from 5k)
fYeQJbbh.png

The 9000`s have had a hard life before I got them 20 years ago and look very tired and crud filled next to the new units, so far listening tests,
Currently more Shpongled than ever before, so much clearer, maybe the extra 2k-4.5k providing a better overall balance from top to bottom.
I can really see why this range of drivers is still popular so many years after coming to market

Which speakers are those in Juz ?
The mid and treble look well balanced, is the blue trace the port or a bass driver ?
I finally got my new 95000 from falcon, fitted and working yesterday and my speakers are back to normal.
I still intend to buy a voice coil replacement from Willys for the damaged one so I have a spare tweeter.

Alan

They are just the midbass/tweeter cabs I have had years, originally Focal 7N515 with the 2905/9000 now with Focal 7W4411 and 2905/97000 (I dont have any pics on hand at mo)
Blue trace is from SS 32W-4878T00 in 98L Sealed, What I hear is really bloody good at the moment, best it has ever been but seems to need more work, the RAW trace looks to overlap too much between blue/red?
My neighbours are in so messing around with 10hz to 20Khz sweeps is rained off today:D
(these are indoors umik-1 measured at 25cm/10in from units)
nNYNkWth.png

The SS voice coil replacement seems to cover a cover a couple models and I have been wondering If it would fit into the 9000 chassis

advertisement

Back