advertisement

Scanspeak D2008

Pearcy

Non Ferrous Stainless M@N@ member
Quick question - are the Scanspeak D2008 (e.g. from Wilmslow Audio) exactly the same units as a Naim dealer would supply as std replacements for SBL's?

Alternatively, are there any better replacements available?

Thanks

Hi pearcy ISTR they are modified by Naim, I recall Naim did a bit of mass damping to the back of the tweeter which has its own resonance nodes and ISTR Naim applied a small brass/bronze mass at the back of the magnet pole to tackle this? Same as the IBL. However electronically and physically standard 2008s will fit. I bet they will do for now. Certainly better than no tweet at all...

thanks fox.

-So would the 'off the shelf' D2008's sound inferior to replacement tweeters bought from Naim?

What I'm getting at I suppose, is can anyone actually tell the difference?!

I was hoping to get a pair of replacements by this Tues, & the only way I can do that is to visit Wilmslow & pick them up.

How much are std replacement SBl tweeters from Naim these days?

Excluding variations in impedance and efficiency, some D2008 units used ferrofluid, others not (Naim's). IIRC these are largely discontinued by Tymphany at this point.

The IBL / SBL / Allae units have a brass + neoprene mass damper, and are (were) matched. Credo units were not matched.

Naim use the Scanspeak D2008/8511. This version does not have ferrofluid voice coil damping in the magnet gap. The advertised version from Wilmslow etc are the D2008/8512 - this version does have ferrofluid voice coil damping/cooling in the gap. Naim do also (as Fox correctly mentioned) add mass loading/damping to the rears of the drive units. Naim will also be able to supply matched pairs of the D2008's for your speakers.

There are also crossover considerations due to the ferrofluid issue. The transfer characteristics of the the treble filter will account for the undamped resonance of the D2008/8511. By using the damped D2008/8512 the acoustic output from the treble units will be different.

How much difference in the sound this makes? - I can't say. Theoretically a large difference, practically - the only way would be to compare them.

In light of the above, I would recommend the Naim D2008's.

Hope this helps

Regards
Peter

Alternatively, are there any better replacements available?

Hiquphon OW1 (no ferro).

Rega used a non ferrofluid scan 2008 in the Ela and used to sell matched pairs. A friendly word with a Rega dealer might get you a pair and they'll probably charge you less than Naim.

I'm sure Les mentioned to me a while ago, someone tweaked their crossover to use a scanspeak revelator, might be a good idea to get in touch with him to find out who it was and what they did exactly, might be a member of this forum.

I'm going up to see Les this Tues...

Anyone know what the current cost of a pair of 'Naim' D2008's is from a dealer?

Also, who sells the Hiquphon units in the UK?

This question seems to come back every year; FF-less D2008s can be bought here (among other places); I doubt that the mass damping is overly critical, as it does only affect the tweeter's enclosure (and, of course, the spring supported fitting with IBLs and DBLs). So, you're probably fine just taking the weights off of the originals and fitting them to the new ones.

hi,
cant you just unscrew the face plate and pour the ferofluid out?
dogrun.gif

last time I bought some the genuine Naim thing with the brass dampers on and properly pair matched was actually slightly cheaper than the Wilmslow variant, and only marginally more expensive (after allowing for postal costs) than the units available from the German supplier.

I can get a pair of Hiquphon OW1's for £158 delivered, which is obviously more expensive than the Scanspeaks.

Just wondering if the OW1's will sound better than the (Naim supplied) D2008's in a pair of SBL's.

Anyone with SBL's running the OW1's?

it's just that I remember taking an old tweeter to bits and getting covered in gunk which on reflection would have been said fluid.

...and I bet you didn't know ferrofluid was toxic!

"Rega used a non ferrofluid scan 2008 in the Ela and used to sell matched pairs. A friendly word with a Rega dealer might get you a pair and they'll probably charge you less than Naim."

These are a different variant than those used by Naim, and they're not nearly that much cheaper, unfortunately. A scan (no pun intended) through an old Scanspeak catalog from the early 1990s might shed a bit of light upon the differences.

it's just that I remember taking an old tweeter to bits and getting covered in gunk which on reflection would have been said fluid.

...and I bet you didn't know ferrofluid was toxic!

That explains the green and purple spots, doctors were mystified.
dogrun.gif

Just phoned Naim and....

£90.54 + vat EACH!

These used to be around £100 for a pair around 5 years ago!!!

£212.86 supplied, hmm :rolleyes:

advertisement

Back