advertisement

Scammed online. Advice please?

With respect to the OP but perhaps he needs to check if he has been compromised because none of my devices will allow me to connect to that site.

Thanks guys. To answer some questions….

I in working in Germany, come home every other weekend. Have an apartment, hence the order here.

I’m using Google Chrome with ExpressVPN on iPad.
I often turn the VPN off, because the WiFi on site plays up.
With VPN off, I can access that site. It looks identical to the Loake UK site.
With VPN set for UK, I can’t access the site.
With VPN set for Germany, I CAN access it, no problem.

UPDATE

I received the following email this morning:

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 at 07:49, service4 <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear customer,
Thanks for your order!
Reply this email for your inquiries.
This is your order information.
Order No: 1SC-aa8669-vck482.
Order Items: Loake Boots Herren Sahara Dark Brown Suede Desert Boots 189354182,1 on loakeschuhe.com.
Total Amount: EUR87.4.
Delivery Address: My Name, Weisshausse Str XX, Köln, NRW, 50939, DE, +44xxxxxxxxxxx.

Your order is in process, we will email you the tracking number when the order is shipped out. Please be patient!
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any problems.
Best Regards,
Customer Service Department

[XJ:3782659]

UNQUOTE

So it would appear they intend to send me shoes. No doubt Chinese knock offs..

I immediately replied instructing Cancellation & Refund.
I copied in Revolut, Mastercard & Loake.

Let’s see

Thanks guys. To answer some questions….

I in working in Germany, come home every other weekend. Have an apartment, hence the order here.

I’m using Google Chrome with ExpressVPN on iPad.
I often turn the VPN off, because the WiFi on site plays up.
With VPN off, I can access that site. It looks identical to the Loake UK site.
With VPN set for UK, I can’t access the site.
With VPN set for Germany, I CAN access it, no problem.

UPDATE

I received the following email this morning:

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 at 07:49, service4 <[email protected]> wrote:

UNQUOTE

So it would appear they intend to send me shoes. No doubt Chinese knock offs..

I immediately replied instructing Cancellation & Refund.
I copied in Revolut, Mastercard & Loake.

Let’s see
Good luck.

Interesting behaviour regarding the VPN (or rather access from the different locations).

For the sake of balance….are Revolut at fault here or is it a general loophole in Mastercard or banking?

Revolut are adamant they “can’t see any fraudulent activity on their platform”.
Well I accept that. I made the transfer. But..
A) They took a higher amount than on the confirmation.
B) I’ve given clear evidence of deception in shape of screenshots of my actual basket & confirmation of sale.

The big mistake I made was use a single-use disposable card. I really think that stinks, as I had no idea they had LESS protection.

Who’s at fault here?

For the sake of balance….are Revolut at fault here or is it a general loophole in Mastercard or banking?

Revolut are adamant they “can’t see any fraudulent activity on their platform”.
Well I accept that. I made the transfer. But..
A) They took a higher amount than on the confirmation.
B) I’ve given clear evidence of deception in shape of screenshots of my actual basket & confirmation of sale.

The big mistake I made was use a single-use disposable card. I really think that stinks, as I had no idea they had LESS protection.

Who’s at fault here?
I feel for you. No doubt it’s there in the small print somewhere about the lack of protection on a single use card. I doubt I’d have read it either. Legally I think you’re probably at fault on that score.

But, I hadn’t realised they took more money than you‘d authorised. It should not be possible IMO. What are the actual amounts in question? Have Revolut responded to that challenge?

It looks like Revolut weren't aware of what you thought you'd paid, just what the scammers asked them for.

The Revolut site contains weasel words about single use cards. They say "the merchant can't charge you again but you can still get a refund!" (just not from Revolut).

I feel for you. No doubt it’s there in the small print somewhere about the lack of protection on a single use card. I doubt I’d have read it either. Legally I think you’re probably at fault on that score.
I agree

But, I hadn’t realised they took more money than you‘d authorised. It should not be possible IMO. What are the actual amounts in question? Have Revolut responded to that challenge?
this is the issue

Is the difference between stated sale price and money debited significant? If small, might a normal fluctuation in exchange rate account for it?

Have Revolut responded to that challenge?

As far as they’re concerned, there has been no fraudulent activity on their platform. I willingly made the payment.

By their rules, the merchant is the company that claims the payment. The fact they took it by using a fake website makes no difference.

No wonder there are so many scammers.

It looks like Revolut weren't aware of what you thought you'd paid, just what the scammers asked them for.

Well, as a result of a previous dispute, I always take a screenshot of my basket before I buy & the confirmation page. I uploaded those to Revolut within minutes of the money being claimed and while it was still Pending.

It was still Pending 24 hours later, but my Chargeback claim was rejected and the money claimed.

Is the difference between stated sale price and money debited significant? If small, might a normal fluctuation in exchange rate account for it?

€87.40 was the sale price. They took $110.60, which converted to €103.21
So €15.81 or 18% extra

Not a large amount, but should be enough to cancel an order.

Could they have added local VAT (19% in Germany) between basket and charge, the remainder of the difference being due to exchange rate conversion? It might be worth looking at the breakdown of charges (if there is one of course) on the invoice.

Just thinking of when I buy stuff from Ali Express in China - taxes are not mentioned until the last moment, when VAT is applied at the UK rate.

Could they have added local VAT (19% in Germany) between basket and charge, the remainder of the difference being due to exchange rate conversion?

They’re not in Germany, they appear to be in Singapore or China.

Besides, I’ve never known of charges being added after the transaction & would never accept it.

No point trying to attach any logic, they’re scammers. Fake website pretending they’re selling Loake shoes. If they send shoes, they will be Chinese counterfeit tat.

Was delivery free?

Zwischensumme: €90
Shipping: €14
Überraschungsrabatt (-16%): -€17
Endsumme: €87

Bare in mind this was the Loakes official German site. I didn’t question it. Except it was fake.

I would post screenshots if I could.

The outcome of your dispute request,​
After careful investigation of your dispute request submitted on 27/01/2024, we have concluded the following:​
Transaction DateMerchant NameTransaction Amount
27/01/2024Ahoomall€102.19
After careful investigation of your dispute request, we've concluded that it falls under different case category. You may be contacted for additional information.​
Thank you for your patience throughout this process.​
The Revolut Team​

Looks a bit more promising…

Not exactly relevant to this case, but should it be useful to anyone else I recently fell for a scam on Etsy, and they issued a refund immediately and without question. I was impressed, although TaniaVintageSound still appears as a seller on their site, which is odd.

advertisement

Back