advertisement

Scam warning

Have asked them how it was sent and if there is any tracking but no reply.

Hasn't arrived in todays post so not looking good.

How long does it take to get a refund after being scammed? It happened on 23/6 and my money is still tied up between ebay and paypal. Calling ebay results in them telling you to contact paypal. Getting someone on paypal is almost impossible and my email just gets an automated response.

Still no Chord Chorus cable (just had todays post).

Clearly the PM's late last week, allegedly from his daughter, asking for my address (again) and then saying it had definitely been posted on Friday 24th June was another load of BS.
No reply to this weeks PM's either.

This may look legit to some but i have experienced very experienced scammers, i spoke to one on the phone for a few days attempting a purchase, things have moved on, this does sound odd though, it's the amount that makes no sense unless it's being done to lots of buyers on different sites under different names & different items, soon adds up.

Certainly bizarre that he/she should bother to contact me late last week, apologise for the delay, ask for my address and then PM to say they had been posted - if it was a scam why not just disappear once the money was paid.
And if it's not a scam why say they have been posted if they haven't?

Didn't come in todays post either and no reply to this weeks PM's - thank god it was only £30.

Cables have been delivered today - stamp is dated 2nd July so no idea why I got a PM saying they had been posted on 24th June - this just added to the confusion?

Today I was alerted to the fact that someone had used my "Rosewind" account on audio-markt.de to try to sell 10.000€ Martin Logan CLX speakers with photos from 2011. The advert was placed on Sep. 27 and I hadn't logged into my account for some time now and so I had not noticed this. He had changed my email address but not password and phone number. Luckily I was contacted by phone by a fellow Dane who wanted to have a listen before buying. I have amended the advert accordingly to alert everyone to the scam:
http://www.audio-markt.de/_markt/ advert id number: 7241824671. I am trying to find contact info for audio-markt.de to flag this.

I am now in the process of changing all my passwords just in case someone has managed to hack my computer.

I hope that no one here has been contacted in my name with offers for kit. There is nothing in my sent folder that would indicate that.

Kind regards,
Peter

A number of auctions have turned up this morning for Naim kit. All look like they've been copied from previous auctions (there's two from Lintone FFS), with low starting prices, but from folks in China with zero feedback and been a member for less than a week.

Edit: looks like they been pulled.

Not sure how useful this will be, but a note of warning about Japanese JVC 'K2' CDs for sale on eBay:

These comments refer to the black, booklet style K2 CDs that I believe are made in Japan mainly for sale in Hong Kong. I'm not referring to the original JVC discs you can buy from companies like Elusive Disc in America.

The genuine articles are made in limited runs of 1000 copies. On the rear side, just above the barcode there should be the legend 'No.' in gold then next to that a gold-coloured sticker with the number written on it.

I bought a copy of Vangelis' 'Themes' compilation on eBay from a private UK seller before (arrgh) checking for signs of fakery. Luckily I got a full refund from the seller after I bought another, legit copy from a German eBay shop and was able to compare the two copies.

So, bottom line: if you plan to get a K2 CD, insist on seeing a photo with the little number sticker - if the number is embossed on the rear instead, beware. If there is no number at all apart from the one under the barcode, avoid completely.

Oh such fun, the Chinese are back. NAP110 buy-it-now for £28. "Pick up in person preferred as very heavy".

Just hang on a mo while I get the Disco tooled up with the spare wheels and extra fuel tanks....

ROFLMAO

The thing that amazes me is the obscurity of some of the items in these Chinese scam listings, stuff you really have to know a bit about audio to know about. I'd have expected it to be all Beats or Bose headphones etc, not Decca FFSS MkII heads, Heathkit amps, bits of a Hadcock etc!

They are popping up on a regular basis, I have come across quite a few just searching on occasion over the last week.

The reason they know so much Tony is simple, the ads are copied from previous ads if you check the completed listings.

I did warn them a few days back, nothing has changed.

Short of blocking the whole of China on an IP address range basis there will be little they can do! eBay can't really implement a 50 posts/3 months type thing like we have here to keep that kind of crap out and I've no idea how else to stop it. The internet is just rammed full of scum these days, combatting it is a nightmare for businesses and everyone else.

advertisement

Back