advertisement

Samyang 12mm f2.0 lens on Fuji X

JemHayward

pfm Member
I treated myself to this lens for my recent trip to Croatia, and I'm very impressed.
I became obsessed with wide angle photography some years ago, and treated myself to a Zeiss 18mm f4 for my Contax RX. At the time it was regarded as one of the best super-wide lenses about, and I got some really good shots with it. It didn't really fit my Canon 5D, without some mods to the mirror frame, so I eventually sold it, and used the excellent Sigma 12-24 zoom instead.
My move to the Fuji X system left me without a proper wide angle option, the 18mm f2 was ok, and the 16-50 is a nice lens to carry around, but I wanted something more "extreme". A year or so ago, I bought a Samyang 8mm fisheye, which is great fun, and with de-fishing software can sort of do the ultrawide thing but thats not good for visualisation in camera. The Samyang 10mm is a huge beast, so I went for the 12mm especially as its also fast at f2.
It is an excellent lens, by any standards. Its less flare prone than my Zeiss 18mm, wonderfully sharp, right down into the corners, and open it up to f2 and you can shoot in the street at night, hand held. Well built with a really good lens hood that clicks securely into place and although I've not done a direct comparison, I would suggest its at least as good if not better than the Voigtlander 12mm and much faster, and I think its probably better resolution than my old 18mm Zeiss. That lens cost me £1k maybe 15 years ago, the Samyang was under £300.

Croatia_-1268 by JemHayward, on Flickr

Jem

Thats really good to know, I've followed a few of your posts with the 12mm on another forum. How quick is it to get good focus manually, when shooting street type scenes like the market above.

I already have the 8mm Samyang, and the Fuji 14mm (which I got on a great deal) but the price of the 12mm is quite tempting.

Jem

Thats really good to know, I've followed a few of your posts with the 12mm on another forum. How quick is it to get good focus manually, when shooting street type scenes like the market above.

I already have the 8mm Samyang, and the Fuji 14mm (which I got on a great deal) but the price of the 12mm is quite tempting.

Most of the time I didn't bother with focus at all, just set it at f8, line up the first part of the "infinity" marker with the 8 on the aperture ring, and everything from infinity to about 50cm is in focus. I did calculate the DOF at 8 and 16 and marked them on the lens with felt tip, but they rubbed off over two weeks. At f2 you need to focus, but the focus peaking on the XE-1 works fine for that and the viewfinder is always bright enough. didn't take any blurry pictures with my manual lenses, a few with my autofocus lenses though :cool:

Looks like fun. Is the crop factor 1.5 - so the equivalent of 18mm on FF?

I'm not really thinking that way anymore, as 36x24 sensors are just one of many sizes now, and if I'm using a 12"x10" plate camera an 80mm lens is pretty wide angle too.

But, basically, yes, about 100 degrees field of view, similar to an 18mm on an old 35mm film camera :cool:

It's tough to get 12" x 10" image coverage with a 80mm lens designed for 35mm though.

Indeed, and actually what makes this lens possible is the fact its not a lens designed for a larger sensor, so f2.0 is feasible, and the stunning performance easier to achieve. Samyang do a 10mm but its big, as its really aimed at SLR users so has a longer back focal distance. this is a mirrorless camera lens through and through.

I'm not really thinking that way anymore, as 36x24 sensors are just one of many sizes now, and if I'm using a 12"x10" plate camera an 80mm lens is pretty wide angle too.

But, basically, yes, about 100 degrees field of view, similar to an 18mm on an old 35mm film camera :cool:

Ah, some of us are still using an 'old 35mm film camera' with a tri-x 'sensor' :) It's still a useful way to normalize things. If I told you I had an 18.5 mm on my nikon v1, you might not immediately think that's a "normal" lens.

Anyway, I have 5 rolls sitting on the shelf mostly shot with a CV 15mm on my M6TTL while in the UK last month. I hope to develop and scan them this weekend - looking forward to seeing what I got. Since it's uncoupled, it too was used as a set and forget, with the infinity mark on the aperture.

advertisement

Back