advertisement

RSD 2024

Went to my local record shop today, not for any RSD releases but because it’s in the corner of a music venue, and the venue had free live music all day, to tie in with RSD!

I can’t believe people fall for this crap.
Sorry, but what exactly are we falling for? I had a nice morning out, met some fellow vinyl junkies, had some breakfast (cafe/record shop combined... good move) and picked up a few interesting records that I actually want to listen to... buying online is fine (and I do enough of it so should know), but a chance to go and do some physical retail and directly show support for small independent records shops seems like a good idea to me. I get a collector and/or investor might see it as cynical , some of the releases are a bit meh, and yes most titles will be available online on Monday, but for me, it was just a nice way to spend a morning... is that so bad or am I some sort of muppet? :D

I sat watching the line in front of the record store visible from my kitchen window. Instead of fighting the crowd only to be disappointed, I ordered Neil Young "F####n Up" from Amazon. I'll have to settle for black vinyl instead the the clear RSD release.

I sat watching the line in front of the record store visible from my kitchen window. Instead of fighting the crowd only to be disappointed, I ordered Neil Young "F####n Up" from Amazon. I'll have to settle for black vinyl instead the the clear RSD release.

I suspect the market is now so saturated with colour variants they’ll cease to have much investment value. I’m certainly not convinced RSD colour variant reissues of long existing albums have any lasting value-add at all. The RSD stuff that is worth having is a) a stand-alone RSD-only release, and b) limited. Who the hell cares about a picture disk of Rumours? Obviously someone does judging from eBay, but this is just junk to my eyes. Just spend the same money on a nice US or UK original FFS.

New releases are different as the colour variant may be the best future indicator of a true first press. Things are so confusing now though with many different shops getting their own colour variant (Rough Trade Exclusive etc). As I’ve mentioned on other threads I’ll always try for signed stuff over any colour variant, and with a lot of new releases if you are fast enough out of the gate someone somewhere has some.

Dinked are interesting, and a slightly different spin on a unique release often in very low edition numbers. I’ve got quite a few of those. I tend to buy them ahead of the standard indie release, especially if signed or having additional content. I know there is a strong FOMO aspect to it, so it often means taking a punt before really hearing a title, but I’ve not lost much so far and many are worth far more than I paid. I certainly think Dinked is a better thing than RSD as it is primarily focused on new music and small artists.

Agree re Dinked. Often more interesting releases in terms of the music itself and tend to be more interesting packages too.

I don't get why people believe most coloured records will grow in value. As you say, huge numbers of variants out there. I also find it strange people paying over the odds for releases of old albums that are pressed on lighter weight vinyl, just but an EX of the original.

RSD prices on Ebay are daft today because noone can see the stock remaining picture until 8pm tomorrow. Then I guess most will start to collapse. I considered going into piccadilly today but decided to just wait, nothing I'd be gutted about missing.

Most of my new releases tend to be signed direct from the bands' websites. Pay a bit more, but the moneys travelling a little more directly to the artist.

Just ordered the Dinked version of the next Fink LP due out 6th so thanks for the heads up. I will also order stuff from RSD tomorrow evening online. Historically most tend to be orders from smaller outlets which is nice.

I hadn't participated in the last 3 or 4 years but this time I fancied the mono Bill Evans plus a bit of rifling through the racks so I set off late afternoon to Portobello road. Honest Jon's at about 5:30 pm was empty and I easily picked up the Mono Bill Evans (looked like plenty still behind the counter) and Yusef Latiff (not sure if they had any more).
Then down the road to Rough Trade - again, the shop was empty and I picked up Kenny Dorham - purely on the back of Kevin Gray mastering direct from 'original Mono analog tapes' - I have no idea if Kenny can sing but seemed like it could be an interesting record. Also Amancio D'Silva which I know is cut from digital, but what the heck.
Very nice afternoon out culminating with a screening of the generative Brian Eno documentary film at the Barbican. Very good discussion after the film with the director, film editors, and creator of the generative program as well as BE. If played through the hardware created for the film, every screening would be unique, much in the vein of Eno's generative music ideas, so the perfect subject for this type of film.

Picked up a couple of bits yesterday: Sun Ra's Elephants on Parade, Timless Jazz Classics comp by Gilles Peterson, Dave Pike's Doors of Perception, but my favourite was DJ Koco's Brazil 45 Vol.5 on Mr Bongo.

Sorry, but what exactly are we falling for? I had a nice morning out, met some fellow vinyl junkies, had some breakfast (cafe/record shop combined... good move) and picked up a few interesting records that I actually want to listen to... buying online is fine (and I do enough of it so should know), but a chance to go and do some physical retail and directly show support for small independent records shops seems like a good idea to me. I get a collector and/or investor might see it as cynical , some of the releases are a bit meh, and yes most titles will be available online on Monday, but for me, it was just a nice way to spend a morning... is that so bad or am I some sort of muppet? :D
I support independent businesses all year round. I don’t see that RSD is even needed & most of the releases are crap or stuff that’s been out many times. There’s no way I’d get up that early to queue for anything.

It started out with good intentions but the record labels are just fully exploiting it now.

I’ll end up getting the odd thing via bandcamp to directly support the artists I like.

I also went for a nice coffee (twice) yesterday at local independents & bought a 2nd hand CD from my favourite record & books shop. So 3 local businesses without standing outside in the cold;)

I support independent businesses all year round. I don’t see that RSD is even needed & most of the releases are crap or stuff that’s been out many times. There’s no way I’d get up that early to queue for anything.

It started out with good intentions but the record labels are just fully exploiting it now.

I’ll end up getting the odd thing via bandcamp to directly support the artists I like.

I also went for a nice coffee (twice) yesterday at local independents & bought a 2nd hand CD from my favourite record & books shop. So 3 local businesses without standing outside in the cold;)
Hmmm, I sort of see your point, but there is a slight issue in my case... my 'local' independent is indeed where I went for RSD... in Cambridge... which is over an hour's drive. This is why I support independents by buying online... to be honest I use Piccadilly in Manchester a lot as I used to shop there where I was lucky enough to live near a proper city with lots of records shops... now I live in the cultural desert that is north Norfolk... but the weather is better so they tell me :D Anyway I still think RSD is a nice way to meet a lot of fellow vinylheads and have a natter... YMMV of course.

Hmmm, I sort of see your point, but there is a slight issue in my case... my 'local' independent is indeed where I went for RSD... in Cambridge... which is over an hour's drive. This is why I support independents by buying online... to be honest I use Piccadilly in Manchester a lot as I used to shop there where I was lucky enough to live near a proper city with lots of records shops... now I live in the cultural desert that is north Norfolk... but the weather is better so they tell me :D Anyway I still think RSD is a nice way to meet a lot of fellow vinylheads and have a natter... YMMV of course.
The one time I went i did enjoy the chatter in the queue, the sense of occasion, flicking through purchases after in a cafe surrounded by others doing the same. It can be enjoyable.

I think juno operate from a house they don’t have a shop I once bought an album and some movies inner sleeves which I never recievedfrom them and it was obviously been a record that had been played so I returned and never bought from them again

I suspect the market is now so saturated with colour variants they’ll cease to have much investment value. I’m certainly not convinced RSD colour variant reissues of long existing albums have any lasting value-add at all.

I don't consider investment value when buying music. If I buy colored vinyl when available, it's for my own amusement.

I don't consider investment value when buying music. If I buy colored vinyl when available, it's for my own amusement.

I always do to some degree. I’ve only been able to build up the collection I have today via decades of buying and selling to fund it. It is just hard-wired into me after over 45 years of doing so (I started at school) and I’m exceptionally reluctant to buy anything for more than I think I could flip it for in a few years! I’ve always bought the limited version where there was one etc. Right from when I was a teenager buying new-wave stuff. If there was a free poster, colour vinyl variant or 7” thrown in I wanted it. It has paid off spectacularly as chances are the copy I have in my collection is the one most folk are hunting down today.

These days I try to keep ahead with signed copies, highly limited editions etc. I just avoid RSD as I hate the queues, the prices are absurd, not much is what I’d describe as limited, and about 45%+ of it is just meaningless reissues anyway. Chances are if I wanted that title I’ve already got a better copy already.

I think juno operate from a house they don’t have a shop I once bought an album and some movies inner sleeves which I never recievedfrom them and it was obviously been a record that had been played so I returned and never bought from them again
Bought loads of stuff from Juno without issue. All new & sealed. One LP was pressed slightly off-centre, but it was a very limited release and they didn't have a replacement copy, so I hung onto it.

£62 for the edition of Lowell George's Thanks I'll Eat It Here. Yes, it's got the usual extra disc of outtakes (which are usually largely pointless) but seriously, 62 quid for two records? RSD is now just a massive cash grab, flogging mostly rubbish for massively inflated prices.

I'll stick with the Lowell LP I bought second hand 30 years ago for a couple of quid.

PS I thought the idea of RSD was to encourage people to frequent their local record shop, not scare the crap out of them.

£62 for the edition of Lowell George's Thanks I'll Eat It Here. Yes, it's got the usual extra disc of outtakes (which are usually largely pointless) but seriously, 62 quid for two records? RSD is now just a massive cash grab, flogging mostly rubbish for massively inflated prices.

I'll stick with the Lowell LP I bought second hand 30 years ago for a couple of quid.

PS I thought the idea of RSD was to encourage people to frequent their local record shop, not scare the crap out of them.

Well I agree it's expensive but the second disc contains only one song which has been released before - on a Little Feat 4 cd set - and the versions shed much more light on how Lowell was working than some other out take albums plus new unheard cover versions of Doctor My Eyes and Brickyard Blues. The packaging includes sleeve notes from Lowell's family and the re-release producer - so there's cost in pulling all that together.

I suppose if the album had sold more back in the day there might have been a cd release - but I'm happy with what I bought.

advertisement

Back